Has anyone ever modded Nitecore Extreme?

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi guys,

you probably read the question above. If you modded it, how did you separate the head in two pieces? Which warm led could suit in it's reflector?

Moonshadow

Enlightened
If you unscrew the bezel, you will be able to remove the reflector and light engine.

Make sure that you make a careful note of where all the springs, brass contact rings and teflon spacers go, so that you can re-assemble it ! I would thoroughly recommend that you photograph each stage as you take it apart, so you have a record of where everything goes.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded one for Divine with a High-CRI SSC P4 and a GDuP driver. It's a nice mod, but it costs almost more than the light itself.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi, its well easy to take apart ! could just buy a q3 5a ? isnt that a warm one ? should a quick solder job.
i might turn one of mine into a throwy optic light..... i think there is alot you can do with the extreme.....

pulstar

Enlightened
Hm... is there a posibility to mod my R2 extreme with XR-E 7090 Q4 only by swapping the leds? q4 should be the same size, same Vf... It's less efficient, but that's not a drawback. Is there a warm or atleast neutral LED that has better efficacy?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Since they are both XR-E emitters, they will fit just fine. R2 and Q4 are two of the flux bins that is used to sort the white Xlamp series of LEDs.

Q4 seems to be the highest bin of neutral white LED available.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those P4's certainly produce a much better beam. Is a new drive also needed?

pulstar

Enlightened
thanks for reply. I actually tried to open the nitecore's bezel and it's easy to get all the way down to the emitter. I was suprised how small the heatsink are, but they managed to take the other thermal path: reflector is massive and works like an adittional heatsink. another thing: XP-E R2 is mounted on a small star (eliptic shape, lets say 13mm X 1mm which actually isn't glued to the heatsink. Reflector pushes the star to heatsink, but i think they should apply atleast a bit of thermal grease or thermal epoxi...

I'm pretty sure i'll swap the emitters in a near future, i only wonder, how to separate R2 LED and PCB star?