I searc a headlight/flashlight combinaison for use in fire and search and rescue ops.

Special-K

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am new on this forum.
I've already found precious information here but I registerd to ask a question.
I search one or several lights for search and rescue and for use in disaster situations.
As a flashlight newbie I've drowned myself in the ocean of existing flashlights (Incandecent, LED, HID...) so I desesperately need some advice.

I search a couple of lights for use in fires and other "difficult situations" that a firefighter can encounter.
I live in northern Europe (France) but I can also buy lights on internet.
I have a 500-600$ budget for both a headlight and a flashlight.
The width ength of the flashlight dosen't matters for me.
For the flashlight more lumens the better, I need something with a beam who can break through thick smoke with throw/flood ratio far more favorable to throw but with a little spill.

Throw(distance)----X-----------------|-----------------------Flood/close-up

The durability is Very important I need somthing who can survive fire, rain and rough handling.

A long rintime is needed for the headlight but this is less important for the flashlight (a lot of lumens needed here).
Both lights must be waterproof.
If possible of the clickie type.

To be short I need the most usefull headlight/flashlight combo for firefighting and search and rescue.

Thanks John.

PS: Please excuse my very rusty english...
P.S 2: I may also need a small ATEX flashlight.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
For headlamps with long runtimes look into Zebralight. The only issue here is that zebralights are 100% flood and no throw.

For a primary very bright light with maximum throw consider an HID. However I do not have a specific HID to recommend because in this case you need durability and reliability. Perhaps another member can give you a more specific recommendation.

As for a small ATEX light look into Barbolight (from Spain). Those are among the highest quality lights I've ever had the privilege of owning. The T-04 might do the trick. As a matter of fact the T-15 may even be a good option for a primary light, it has respectable output and acceptable throw and is far more rugged than the majority of HID lights available.

:welcome:
By the way your English is far better than my French. :eek:

Special-K

Newly Enlightened
Hello PhantomPhoton,

I'll follow your advice to the letter for the headlight, the zebralight series looks awesome, thanks you very much for the advice.
I've choosen the Zebralight H60w Headlamp because I've already brought some 18650 3.7V 2800mAh Lithium Batteries to use with "El-cheapo" DX lights. (UltraFire WF-501B 3W UV 395~400nm LED Flashlight and a TrustFire SSC P7 C-BIN 900-Lumen 5-Mode LED Flashlight).

[/Off topic on]I've received the batteries/charger and the UV flashlight today, this my frist UV light but all I can see is a poor quality product.

There is no clip, only one O-ring on the end tail (I absolutly don't think this flashlight can be droped in water), the paint chips right off (ultra thin anodizing) and the LED emitter is excentered.
The beam is pretty diffused and this lessens the usefulness and the beam-spot is misshaped (doughnut pattern)and not consistent.
On the other hand the output good but as I said a good part of the light is wasted in a very dim spill and the body is quite light and nicely made (but when you screw the pices together there is an annoying rattle noise).
The bezel looks good, the clickie mechanisme is good, nice to hold in the hand sold with a lanyard attached and the flashlight can stand on it's face.
This flashlight barely worth the price (15 United States Dollars).
Do you know a good drop in for this flashlight?[/Off topic off]

I go back on topic I looked after the Barbolight T04 and R15 and I found the T220 model, this model look like a T04 with a clip.
Do you know if there is another difference between the T04 and the T220 model?

And for a main flashlight what do you think about a SureFire M6?
Do the Surefire M6 guardian worth it's price for an incandesent flashlight?
I've looked after this model because it seems very strudy and it's an incandesent flashlight who generally obey to the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle

Thanks you very much again, best regards John.

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire M6 sure is worth the price imo.

I would suggest you grab some AW 17670's, a fivemega battery carrier, and a Lumens Factory HO-M6R.

For a lower output option, you can get some 18650's and a 2x18650 battery carrier then use the stock MN20 or a Lumens Factory EO-M3T or HO-M3T.

Or you can just use it with it's stock battery carrier and CR123's, which is just as amazing!

I can't leave you without some eye candy :D

P9042507.jpg

Last edited:

C-Beam

Newly Enlightened
Since you have 18650s, I'll recommend the Fenix TK30. 630 lumens with two 18650s.

FX-TK30_1.jpg

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
for search and rescue and for use in disaster situations.

a couple of lights for use
what does disaster mean?
Because You already seem to choose Li-Ion cells. When current for the charger is available they are the best, no matter what.
But as I would think of disaster, that means: NOTHING!
no power, no shops, no food, no nothing.
Only way to get what is needed: bring everything with the crew.

18650, while the best cell imho, has no primary cell equivalent, so ...
another thought: try to need one battery for everything.

and "a couple of lights" makes the SF a bit expensive - when You are on a buget.
If government pays lights and batteries, then ... :)

so, if 18650 (Li-Ion) is what You want:
headlamp: zebralight, or maybe a Streamlight Argo HP, but use a 17650 cell for it
main searchlight: Jetbeam M1X
general purpose light: some rugged 1*18650 light, small, multilevel. Like Jetbeam Jet IIIs, or ...
... protected 18650 and 17650 cell that can be charged on same doublecell, multiformat charger

when rechargeable and primary cells: size AA
headlamp: Petzl Myo Xp, Princeton Tech Apex
Searchlight: Fenix TK40
general purpose light: any good 2*AA light, multilevel again
... Eneloop or any other LSD cell, good quality charger

and in both cases: Fenix E01, a box full of them, for low light/EDC

PS: in fog/smoke any headlamp is useless, no matter if flood or not
I would go for the 18650, but mentionned the power requirement tradeoff

PPS: if it were not for that very rugged and watertightness, I would offer to give these cheap "flood to throw focusing light"s at Dealextreme a try. Very cheap but working and You can make experiences with Aspherics, maybe these beams without any spill work good in smoke.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of us here at CPF are hobbiests, so our lights are more for "ooh" and "aah" rather than practicality. Streamlight is a brand that provides most of the duty lights in this country. They have a whole line of fire/rescue lights and headlamps with throw. Browse their site a little and see if anything works for you: http://www.streamlight.com/market/market.aspx?mkid=2 and http://www.streamlight.com/product-selector.aspx?page=1&filters=1738

But, you certainly won't go wrong with Surefire or Barbolight!

Last edited:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bonjour, Special-K.

Don't worry about the English. Your English is fine. :thumbsup:

My local fire department uses Streamlights for handheld lights. If you click on the French flag the page will present itself in French. I am not sure what is the normal household (mains) electric current in France. These can be charged from 12V DC, 100V AC, 120V AC, 230V AC, or 240V AC. Would one of those work?

I cannot give you good advice on headlights. I'm sure someone here will.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Many lights here only have one o-ring at each seal and go through the washing machine just fine, but I woundn't trust a cheap light either.

As long as you have a way to charge the Li-ion batteries, you should be fine.

Also check out the Fenix headlamp, the Surefire Saint headlamp, and maybe even a headlamp strap for handheld lights incase something happens.

The Neofab Legion could work as a search light with a decently wide beam. If they make on in Neutral white, that would be even better to help with the color rendering.

:welcome:

to_fire

Newly Enlightened
Special-K, it might help us if you let us know what kind of run time you need before you have a chance to change batteries. There's lots of great lights available, but you have to think of logistics (when can you change batteries at the scene?).
Personally, I use a Surefire C-3 mounted on my Cairns 1044 (traditional U.S. helmet style, not like your French helmets), and I've got a surefire M6 in my bunker pants. Both lights have flip-up red filters to protect the lens.
The C3 is equipped with an R2 drop-in LED module that puts out as much as my HOLA bulb. I have no trouble seeing under the smoke with it, and my run time is longer (about 1 hour). The M6 is also HOLA with the standard 6x123 set-up. Run time is about 1/2 hour, but for me that's okay because I'm changing my SCBA bottle by about 20 minutes of hard humpin' (we use MSA "30" minute cylinders). I keep a speed-load in the truck with me. I've used this set-up for over 10 years with no problems (we run about 3500 calls/year). So how much run-time do you need?

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast