Milwaukee LED drop-in

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I just stumbled across this LED drop-in via Gizmodo. I can't quite figure out what the LED is from the photo. I think it's a 3 watt Cree-ish looking diode. Anybody have one?

Note the claim that you get 8x runtime on a fully charged batter. :rolleyes:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The first thing that came to my mind was a Luxeon Rebel.

I don't own any Milwaukee tools, but if I do get one, I'll remember that it can run on batter as well as batteries ;)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first thing that came to my mind was a Luxeon Rebel.

I don't own any Milwaukee tools, but if I do get one, I'll remember that it can run on batter as well as batteries ;)

I think it's a Rebel, I think I can see the TFFC waffle, but if it isn't a TFFC waffle, well I'm sure it can make some with that batter.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice find- It may be wishful thinking on my part but.... It looks to have a trapezoidal shape, could it be a SST50? That would bake the batter better!:)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Looks too small to be a SST-50.

Also it won't cost $30 if it was and heatsinking would be a huge problem. Heatsinking is probably a problem with the current LED that they have.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Hmm, I think I do see the Luxeon Rebel's waffle pattern in there. This and the high dome seems to suggest that it's a Rebel. I'm finding precious little technical information about it on the 'net so far, and the reviews that I've read pretty much quote Milwaukee's website (3x runtime, 50k hours, unbreakable).

I wonder if that red plastic body affects the color temperature of the light. If anything it will probably help. :thinking:

clintb

Enlightened
Schweet! I received the Milwaukee M18 combo kit last year at Christmas from my wife. The incan bulb lasted all of 1 minute and I haven't bothered to replace it. This will be great for runtime, placement, and times a regular flashlight might be inconvenient.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder what the minimum input voltage is? (I know it says it works in all 9.6V-18V lights, but I imagine it will run fine on considerably less than 9.6V.)

I'd be curious to try it in a Mag 2C with a pair of 18650s.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
That looks like a nice solution for anyone with an incan work light. I picked up one of the Milwaukee M12 LED worklights - while the beam isn't very smooth due to the faceted reflector, the aluminum head does act as a heatsink for the LED.

chewy78

Enlightened
That would be a nice upgrade to my dewalt 12v or milwaukee 9.6v work light.

Last edited: