XPG Dome material & cleaning?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Quick question... is it glass like the XRE? Can it be cleaned? I super glued the wires down in place and the fumes from the CA fogged over the dome a little.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question... is it glass like the XRE? Can it be cleaned? I super glued the wires down in place and the fumes from the CA fogged over the dome a little.

It is made of silicone. Yeah as you now know super glue was a bad idea.:shakehead Why oh why?

Cree reccomends using isopropyl alcohol to clean it. Don't know if that will work for super glue though.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Super glue is OK to hold down a wire or two if that's all you got but you HAVE to put the part in front of a decent speed fan so the fumes can't settle and fog your stuff. That crap can put off fumes for some time so a full day at the fan might be needed.

It IS easier to just not use it though!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume you soldered the wires to the leads and just needed to hold the extra wire down...or did you try to glue the wires to the leads instead of soldering?
Next time use arctic alumina instead so you don't have the gassing problem.
BTW, the gas I have tonight is making my eyes fog!:sick2:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Problem solved.. I just used some isopropyl alcohol and a soft cotton baby blanket and gently polished it. Being my first XPG build, I wanted to see just how durable the XPG is so, this was all kind of part of the learning process. With careful cleaning I was not able to knock the dome off.

I used it to help secure the LED to the pill, since arctic silver5 is not an adhesive. I also used a couple dabs to help secure the wires.

I think next time I will use arctic alumina.

Thanks all!!