HELP am I getting too far into this addiction?

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
OK folks, I am a self confessed geardo (I believe that is now the accepted term for those of us with an obsession of all things multi-tool, knife, flashlight and EDC survival gadgetry related) :thinking:

I have become the "go to guy" for many of my colleagues, friends and others when it comes to flashlights and other gadgets. This has started to become a cottage industry hobby for me as many of my professional colleagues do not have the time nor inclination to research info, read reviews or trawl the net to get the best equipment yet alone a good price. (And to pay retail prices for premium quality flashlights and multitools in Oz is really scarey :crazy:)

I often lately have found myself loaning out various lights etc for my colleagues to trial before they commit to a purchase of their own. However when returning the said light or multitool etc the majority of them just say to me they want one and how much and when can I supply one. So being the all round nice guy that I can be I put together a bulk order from the usual suppliers that we frequent, I put a couple of dollars on it all to cover costs and everyone is happy. ;)

This has been working fine for a year or so now but I think I am biting off more than I can chew. Only one example here but I loaned out a Maglite 3D which I had upgraded/rebuilt with Terralux Mini-Star 5, Glass Lens, New switch gear O'Rings etc (nothing special I know). he wanted to use mine before I upgraded his to similar specs. Now whilst at work he loaned it to another person who runs a security company. Long story short they now want me to rebuild all their old and wornout incan maglites, no problem until they tell me they have over 100. :ohgeez:

I only import enough bits and pieces to keep under the radar of being a commercial operation and avoiding import duties etc. I have a couple of "real jobs" that pay the bills, this is only supposed to be a hobby. Also I only purchase minimal amounts of rebuild gear for maglites etc. I usually rebuild 1x mag a month for colleagues and friends :sick:.

I am also falling into the same situation with provision of "Tactical" lights to other security,military,rescue and police friends and colleagues.

Have I dug a hole too deep to get out of :sigh:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Long story short they now want me to rebuild all their old and wornout incan maglites, no problem until they tell me they have over 100. :ohgeez:

:eek: A hole is an understatement. You should try and relay to them that this is a hobby for you. IMHO, the person you loaned your 3D mag to, he shouldn't have loaned it out to anyone else, since it wasn't his.
Everyone has access to the internet these days, just give them the links to the manufacturers.
The odd light for a colleague now and then is ok, but your digging yourself in deeper.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The joy can be drained from a hobby which becomes a business due to the pressures of deadlines, customer demands, cash flow, etc.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think demand could grow even more? Maybe you should start your own company. Everyone dreams of being their own boss, but being your own boss while giving into your addiction? Priceless.

Otherwise, get the other guy's company to order the parts and charge a reasonnable amount for the work... extra cash = extra lights!!!

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Liabilitity would be my main concern.
Building lights for a buddy is one thing, building lights for a commerical application is another.
I would say Thanks, but No Thanks.
Just my opinion.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
What I would do is give them links to the sites that sell the parts, let them order the parts, then you mod their lights and only charge them labor. That way you're under the radar. If the parts are defective in some way, then you're not liable for anything.

If you know someone who has their own business and imports stuff, have him/her order all the parts for you. Just pay that person for all the costs incurred. Tell the 100 flashlight customer that you can only do 10 a week (or whatever number that you want to do) until all 100 get converted..

Draw up a legal document that covers your butt in case anything legal come up. The document saying that this is just a hobby, etc. On a product on a store shelf here, I happened to look at the warranty statement, after it goes around and around a couple times, basically there was no warranty whatsoever. It was a weather radio for $5.