Reliability

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I am informed that Santa's intelligence database has suffered a gigantic glitch, and my Christmas flashlight budget is much bigger than anticipated.

My thoughts had been to choose between a Quark 123 R5 (to replace my Quark 123 R2 for EDC) and a Preon kit. I thought getting both wouldn't be possible. However, a Ra Clicky is now within my budget.

As an EDC light, the Quark 123 is pretty close to perfect for me. In terms of levels, output and runtime, for my purposes it can't be beat. The big selling point of Ra lights is reliability, which brings me to my question:

How much more reliable should I expect a Ra Clicky to be compared to a Quark 123?

chef4850

Enlightened
I can not comment ont he quark lights I do not have any. However I do have several RA lights (for a reason). The ra lights are the most solid lights I have seen. Great low and high on the EDC series is usable. The 170 tactical is however my favorite light but for twice the price.

Chef

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive seen expensive lights and cheaper lights fail and get LOST.

ive also seen cheaper and expensive lights work a long time.(go to your aunts house and see if that old 1980s dorcey still comes on)

i believe its better to have multiple lights.

id be buying 2 new $50 lights instead of 1 $100 light.

or 2 new $100 used lights (in the marketplace) for $50 each :poke:

a lumen is a lumen right?

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
i believe its better to have multiple lights

For purposes of my question you may safely assume that I have plenty of redundant flashlights :D.

My current EDC setup consists of one or two flashlights on my person, depending on what I'm doing. For the second layer, my laptop bag has three flashlights in it, and my BOB has six or seven.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
You get what you pay for, so what do you think?

While that's a good general rule, my experience has not led me to believe that you always get what you pay for. Some things are overpriced and some things are real bargains. I'd characterize my Quarks as bargains.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Based on the overwhelmingly positive feedback that I've read for the Ra lights, I would go for that in your case. However, if you want the most reliable light possible, then you might want to consider a twisty instead of a clicky.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the overwhelmingly positive feedback that I've read for the Ra lights, I would go for that in your case. However, if you want the most reliable light possible, then you might want to consider a twisty instead of a clicky.

+1

Reliability = twisty switches
When I carry two lights the type of switch does not matter. When it is one (single AAA on keychain) it has to be a twisty. The only switch I've never screwed up is on Mag C/D lights for some reason.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened

If I were going caving and needed a bombproof last-ditch backup light, I don't know of anything I'd pick over a Ra Twisty. For EDC, the Ra Twisty doesn't do as much for me as the Clicky or the Quark.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were going caving and needed a bombproof last-ditch backup light, I don't know of anything I'd pick over a Ra Twisty. For EDC, the Ra Twisty doesn't do as much for me as the Clicky or the Quark.

so you started a thread about reliability, and know the twisty is more reliable, but dont want it :whistle:

heckboy

Enlightened
The Ra clicky is a fine light and all that, however, I've had the light act goofy because of something wrong with the clicky. Based on my experience I have to say that I don't think the Ra Clicky is any more reliable than anything else I have and maybe substantially less reliable than my PD lights.

If the Quark seems ideal for your uses then that is the light to get. Unless you are normally into life threatening situations (cops, cavers, or crooks for example) I'd bet the Quark is reliable enough...:D

Later,
HB

carrot

Flashaholic
The Ra is proven reliable, and a time tested design that has been refined over many years, having been the product of many design iterations (Arc4, HDS EDC, Novatac EDC, Ra Clicky).

Quark is a relatively new design, and it will take time to prove that it can be as reliable. From this relatively early point in time they look promising, but since Quark will have to evolve to keep up with the tight competition in its price range, it may never last long enough in a single iteration to be time-tested. IMHO, they have significant, noticeable improvements over competitors in their price range (square threads, for one).

I like the Quarks, I really do, but there's no way I can say they're more reliable than a Ra at this point in time.

My other thought is, since the Ra is in your reach now, you might as well get it, because you will always have the budget later for the Quarks... let's face it, they're different enough that you can justify owning both.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
so you started a thread about reliability, and know the twisty is more reliable, but dont want it :whistle:

Reliability for EDC is different than reliability for fighting off Shelob on the way to cast The One Ring into the fires of Mount Doom. For EDC, if my light fails, chances are I'll have another light on me or close by.

My other thought is, since the Ra is in your reach now, you might as well get it, because you will always have the budget later for the Quarks... let's face it, they're different enough that you can justify owning both.

Carrot makes some good points (as always). The appeal of buying the Ra now is more that I'll have few chances to budget such a big flashlight purchase, whereas a new Quark I can get almost anytime my wife isn't watching the mail :crackup:.

thospress

Newly Enlightened
However I do have several RA lights (for a reason). The ra lights are the most solid lights I have seen. Great low and high on the EDC series is usable. The 170 tactical is however my favorite light but for twice the price.

Chef

I agree entirely. My sense is that even if the clicky on any of my RA lights failed (which I do not expect), a replacement would be provided without any questions asked. These are really great lights at a bargain price for the quality.