Rubber Armored Led Flashlights?

chef4850

Enlightened
I have been looking for information on any rubber armored flashlights and can not seem to find much. the SL scorpion and the TK20 (partially) is the only one I can find.

Here is my question. Why is this not more common?

Does the rubber hinder the heat transfer - even if the light is made of aluminum?
I would just think it would be "more durable" from drops and such. Is this true?
It would be kind of cool if flashlight companies offered a rubber armored sleve to slip over the light and it not be permanent. of just rubber caps for the ends of lights to protect them. Just a thought.

Chef

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the rubber hinder the heat transfer - even if the light is made of aluminum?

Yes. Part of the transfer of heat is from the light to it's surroundings, the air or your hand. Your body especially carries away a significant amount of heat. High performance lights can produce more heat than even the combination of still air and your body can carry away and will get progressively warmer. Insulating the metal body from your hand with rubber can drastically reduce that heat flow.

sonrider657

Newly Enlightened
Plus how much protection can 0.5 mm of rubber really provide. The only advantage that I see is a more comfortable gripping surface.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
..or if it's small and you want to put it in your mouth like I used to do when doing stuff

balou

Enlightened
You could always armor it yourself with some shrink tubing and a hair dryer.
That way you have the rubber armor and it's replaceable if it's worn down