Old Longbow Micra ....... Supercharged!

Dan FO

Enlightened
I have always liked my Longbow Micra but with it's 30 lumens and single stage it was getting a little long in the tooth. So I contacted Will to see what we could do to breathe new life into my old friend. ;) We decided that the SSC U2SVOH would be a good match for the emitter replacement. A couple of weeks latter he contacted me and said that the driver on the original light only puts out 400 mAh so I asked him if he had any multi level boards. He said that he had ordered some GDuP boards and I said The GDuP is my favorite driver! 10 mAh, 180 mAh and 700 mAh with user available calibration and it remembers the last level used.

Now this project was really coming together! I just tested against a NovaTac 120T and it simply blows it away in every respect, this light is bright white light with a near perfect beam and an extremely useful low. I love it!

Dealing with Will was a pure pleasure in every respect and his work is superb. I sent him 3 lights for mods and he kept me informed on every step of the way and made sure I got exactly what I wanted.
Thanks Will!

I have both the clicky and twisty tailcaps posted in this review of the original 2004 light. --> http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/longbow_micra.htm

There are a lot of new lights out there but but supercharging an old friend once in a while brings back the love. :D

Has anyone else out there done anything interesting to their longbow Micras?

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Old Longbow Micra

Nice mod:thumbsup:
I'm debating on using that same board in my Micra. I have a Q4-5B Cree and some 18mm reflectors from DX that appear to give a beam similar to a McR18 with a Luxeon. Already know it all fits and focuses, just need to decide how to power it.
Mine has had mods with McCapsules using 3 watt LS emitters, both Wizard520 and Wizard937 boards, stock, Fraen, and NX05 optics, smooth IMS 17mm and McR18 reflectors, and UCL or UCL+LDF lenses.
I actually went back to using the stock pill with a McR18 and either UCL or UCL+LDF, but right now it's sitting there with all the new parts just stacked together, waiting for a circuit board.
After all this time, I still think that nothing beats a Longbow. They just need a little modernizing:D

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I put a High-CRI SSC and a Wiz2 520mA in a twisty Micro. It was a nice step up, and the SSC worked wonderfully with the optic.

carrot

Flashaholic

I always felt that the Longbows were excellent modding platforms. It's a shame that they are no longer readily available. Sounds like you did the old light some justice.

Dan FO

Enlightened

I always felt that the Longbows were excellent modding platforms. It's a shame that they are no longer readily available. Sounds like you did the old light some justice.

I really like the GDuP driver because it is able to be calibrated to any LED or battery configuration (CR123 or RCR123) by the user. Wonder how it would be with an XP-G in it. :naughty: I have 3 lights with GDuP's in them now. :twothumbs

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Q35A running at 700ma in mine.....its fantastic!

i dont use it much though, for fear of losing it

Crenshaw

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
I have my OD micra with Eco tube for 2AA configuration as shelved queens. Together with my Inova T3, its my first 'quality' light i purchased in 2004, and its a keeper :).
I wouldnt even want to mod it unless i can find another capsule so the original longbow capsule kept intact.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have my OD micra with Eco tube for 2AA configuration as shelved queens. Together with my Inova T3, its my first 'quality' light i purchased in 2004, and its a keeper :).
I wouldnt even want to mod it unless i can find another capsule so the original longbow capsule kept intact.
i believe the sandwich shoppe still stocks the MacCapsule for Longbows. Thats what i have in mine

Crenshaw

lumil30

Newly Enlightened
I've been lurking quite a while, soaking in the really cool info and vibe of CPF - luv this place! But lurk no more, I guess - this post drew me out:D

My LB mods:
LB_modded_01.jpg

From left to right:

1) LB Mini Twisty Black
- Cree MCE M-Rank
- DX 18mm aluminium OP reflector
- UCL
- direct drive w/Ultrafire protected Li-Ion 17670

2) LB Mini Twisty OD
- Cutter Triple XPG Star R5
- Cutter Triple narrow optics
- DX AMC7135 1400ma driver
- UCL
- Ultrafire protected Li-Ion 17670

3) LB Micra Twisty OD
- UCL
- direct drive w/LiFe RCR123

Here are a coupla other pics, starting with another look at the MCE version:

LB_modded_03.jpg

A fistful of XPG R5 goodness :)
LB_modded_02.jpg

No, none of them blow away my TK40 on turbo, but the Mini's clearly hold their own against 10W HIDs. I just love'em cos they're so small.:twothumbs

Last edited:

Dan FO

Enlightened
Nice ones! The Longbows really do make a great host. Is there any throw to the one with the MC-E or is it all flood?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Micra twisty is one of my favorites.
Remember the old school mod of sticking a McLux head with the E can down on it?

lumil30

Newly Enlightened
Nice ones! The Longbows really do make a great host. Is there any throw to the one with the MC-E or is it all flood?

Thanks! Had to really shoehorn those triple XPGs in, though - with lots of gutwrenching drilling, filing and grinding. Soldering AWG24 teflon wires on those tiny star boards and still leaving enough room for the optics was a good challenge too. Now I wish I'd documented the operation :crackup:

Unfortunately, none of these lights are real throwers.

The MCE, like most all other multi-emitter lights with small reflectors, is a bright flood that happens to have something sort of a hot spot. I knew this going in, but did it anyway, well, because..., in true flashaholic fashion - it could be done!

The triple XPGs do better, IMO, but, again, whitewall hunters and those used to the throw from XREs wouldn't be at all impressed.

That said, I have to put things in context.... the wall of light you get with the triples is nothing short of shocking, especially with all of it coming from a 1" diameter flashlight under 6" length:party:. In my LB mods, all the LEDs are underdriven. But I tell ya, when you really put a stick to them, the triple XPGs are a sleeper blaster.... we're talking 1000+ lumen potential here. Before I mounted them in the LBs, I had them on my bench supply and when I cranked them so that they got 1A per die... well, I thought the sun had suddenly come up in my living room! :devil::crackup:

I will always love throwy lights, but these fellas suit me just fine for the mission I intended them for.... spotting/video lights while diving.:cool:

vinn

Newly Enlightened

I always like to see "old" lights given a new lease of life.
Great job guys!

I love the Longbow clean cut construction.

ionizedsky

Enlightened
I've been lurking quite a while, soaking in the really cool info and vibe of CPF - luv this place! But lurk no more, I guess - this post drew me out:D

My LB mods:
LB_modded_01.jpg

From left to right:

1) LB Mini Twisty Black
- Cree MCE M-Rank
- DX 18mm aluminium OP reflector
- UCL
- direct drive w/Ultrafire protected Li-Ion 17670

2) LB Mini Twisty OD
- DX AMC7135 1400ma driver
- UCL
- Ultrafire protected Li-Ion 17670

3) LB Micra Twisty OD
- UCL
- direct drive w/LiFe RCR123

Here are a coupla other pics, starting with another look at the MCE version:

LB_modded_03.jpg

A fistful of XPG R5 goodness :)
LB_modded_02.jpg

No, none of them blow away my TK40 on turbo, but the Mini's clearly hold their own against 10W HIDs. I just love'em cos they're so small.:twothumbs

Ummm Post number 2 and this what you show... Holy Crap!!!:welcome:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful mods!!! Jealous! I'm lucky when I get the batteries in the right direction!!:thinking:

Karl

Latest posts