AMC 7135's

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a practical limit to the number of AMC 7135 chips you can use?

I want to build a SST-90 based light running off a 8 x 18650 li Ion 3.7v battery pack.

I have made a few assumptions that may prove incorrect but we shell see.

On a fully charged battery the voltage will probably sag to at least 4 volt under load.
If I run the SST-90 at 7 amps (20 AMC's) the VF may be 3.6-3.7, So I need a voltage drop of 0.3-0.4volt. 0.4x7 is 2.8 watts that needs to be dissipated. Worst case I guess it could be double that.

Anyone done this before?

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I will running my at a lower voltage so I dont see the heat as a big issue ( I may be wrong).

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Thanks. I will running my at a lower voltage so I dont see the heat as a big issue ( I may be wrong).

When I was playing around with these, in my experiences, using more than 8 7315s with either one li-ion or three NiMhs, voltage drop under load was too much & the desired current couldn't be reached. With 4 NiMhs the current was delivered but the ICs got very hot very quick. I never tested to see what that sweet spot was since it would matter anyway as I wouldn't be able to find a suitable battery to deliver the required voltage under load. This was before IMRs hit the market which is a different story now. :)