Need a D26 Drop in For Hunting

Bake

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I need a D26 drop in for my Brinkmann Maxfire. I use this light on a .22 rifle. I would like something that throws well. I would like a good spot to about 50 or 60 yards at least. Spill is probably less important than throw. I would like something with a warmer tint, more like an incan, to cut through mist and fog. I will be running either two 17500 or two 18500 cells and I would like to have pretty good run times. Thanks for any suggestions.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
right now the best power from an off the shelf drop in is the Thrunite XP-G running 260ish out the front lumens. Lighthound dot com has them. It a very light orange peel reflector and has a pretty good spot beam but still useable spill as well. Its tint is slightly to the greenish and not the bluish side. It makes the grass look more green and not eerie and lights up the grass more than the water on it from the rain, so its somewhat better than a cool tint LED. True warm tints are going to drop you down in the lumen output somewhat. I was really impressed with this beam overall.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want one for hunting with a tint more towards that of an incan, you'll want one with a neutral LED. Off the top of my head, the best would be a Malkoff. I had a Dereelight drop-in that worked pretty well too, especially after I swapped the LED for a High-CRI SSC.

Bake

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll check out the ones you mentioned.

Bake

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Gunner, I have seen a few other post suggesting the Dereelight drop-ins for throw. The neutral white looks like it may be what I am looking for. My best light is a SureFire U2. It puts out a lot of light but it is sometimes difficult to see small objects at a distance because of a sort of glare due to fog or mist in the night air. Perhaps a neutral white long throwing Dereelight will be better.

Thanks again guys.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yes that'll work out well for you.
icon14.gif

Bake

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, One other question if I may, and this may be a very silly question but i am new to all of this. Would one of the multi-level drop-ins work with the clicky switch on the MaxFire or would I need a host designed for multi-level operation?

lightforce2

Enlightened
I moded a dereelight DBS for night shooting (left in the pic) by using a yellow camera filter as the lens to filter out all blue light, but then I replaced the Q5-R2 WC pill with a Q4-5B pill and saw a slight increase in visible output:), works very well and is very easy on my eyes

the other 2 lights are both aspherics, a rifle mount & a hand held with red emitter adjustable focus (wide to spot) for use on light sensitive pests.

3-torches.jpg

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nailbender makes a range of drop-ins as you desire. Multi-level, smooth or op reflector, any emitter on the market. A full range of neutral to warm tints, you need to decide if you'll pay the output hit going for warm tint.
Running it with two cells you've got a very comfortable run-time so its a great set-up; if you get a multi-mode you've got huge output potential (as boost) and a long long runtime on lower level.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Multimode is, in this case (as with most other lights), controlled by the driver in the drop-in itself, so you won't need a new host.

IIRC the drop-in might need some trimming to fit, but I could be wrong.