Digital "Twist" flashlight skipping modes.

gunlock

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I tried searching for a solution but couldn't find much. I have a relatively new Fenix L0D Q4 mini flashlight with four modes. It operates by twisting the light on then off to toggle the different modes. What happens is that sometimes I attempt to toggle a mode and instead of going from mode 1 to mode 2 etc, it will skip to mode 3 or mode 4 completely, or briefly flash to mode 3, then go to mode 4. It's annoying. I tried using different batteries but that didn't help.

Any advice?

Thanks guys.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
Sounds like a probem with the contact. Try cleaning it and looking for something loose or misaligned. I don't know the Fenix lights, but that seems to be the problem, in general, when that sort of thing happens.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Indeed. You need to open the light and clean the parts that make electrical contact with each other. You can do this easily for the battery compartment by pressing it open-end-down onto a cleaning cloth and twisting. The corresponding contact ring inside the head is a little trickier to get at, but a cotton bud may do the trick.

Once cleaned up, you might be pleasantly surprised to find that you actually have five modes: med-low-high-strobe-sos.

:welcome:

gunlock

Newly Enlightened
I cleaned the terminal with a jewelry polishing cloth and that seemed to help a bit. Can you guys recommend a better/proper way to clean the contacts?

Also, as far as lubing, I have no idea what that entails. Any advice in regards to proper cleaning/lubing technique ya'll can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

gunlock

Newly Enlightened
I just read through a bit of that thread you posted. Thank you. It seems a bit high level though and I was hoping to not have to go out and buy products that I will probably not use again any time soon. I've cleaned my threads and contacts with isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip. As for lubing, can I just use tetra grease, rem-oil, CLP or something like that which I already have laying around?

This is for a Fenix L0d light. I'm not sure what material the O-ring is made from.

Thanks,

Latest posts