New Rebel Maglite Switch

JamisonM

Enlightened
During the recent black friday, I scored myself several of the new rebel maglites in the 3D variety. The last I had hands on with them was earlier in the year and only of the 2D versions. I didn't really get to take them apart, but now I do. Pictures below. I hope this answers questions about how they are different. From the looks of it, they changed the switch assembly, battery tube, tailcap spring and reflector.

First up is the battery tubes. I placed each one in parallel and flush at each end. In the picture below, one is the older style used in the krypton and luxeon maglites (bottom) and the other is the newer style used in the rebel maglites (top). The battery tubes are the same length, but the rebel tube has been altered. It doesn't have the amount of threading at the head end that the older style does. As a result, the o-ring has been moved up to meet it. The hole for the switch is the in the same place.
4142201389_c2bdfcea73_o.jpg

Next is the tail cap spring. It has also been changed. Please bear with the comparison as it's the only tail cap spring that I have that's this close to being stock. The rebel tail cap spring doesn't have as many coils and I feel it isn't quite as stiff.
4142201421_50988d9673_o.jpg

Now for the switch assembly. As you can see, they've changed it quite a bit.
4142957866_d4be9978cb_o.jpg

4142957932_94239e88bf_o.jpg

4142957964_671289719b_o.jpg

4142201523_d10f00188c_o.jpg

Here's the new reflector besides the older style of reflector with the cams trimmed. The rebel reflector is on the right. Besides making them deeper, the bulb opening is now 13mm wide compared to the 15mm of the older style of reflector.
4143975631_cb806e4f21_o.jpg

4144761716_893d43c480_o.jpg

Last edited:

elumen8

Enlightened
Great side by side pics. I picked up a couple of the 2D MagLEDS on black Friday also. I was about ready to disect one...don't need to anymore. :thumbsup:

JB

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Interesting, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Had no idea the Rebel Maglites were redesigned, I simply thought it was just another drop in like the Luxeon but with a Rebel emitter. So is the reflector different? Are they multimode as well?

Dave 88

Newly Enlightened
So is the reflector different?

Ditto that, im curious if its a new design. Maybe something that can clean up the donut in my P7 beam... At least worth a try for $15

JamisonM

Enlightened
Updated first post with reflector info and pictures.

Ditto that, im curious if its a new design. Maybe something that can clean up the donut in my P7 beam... At least worth a try for $15
Earlier in the year, I got two of the 2D rebel maglites. I sold them, but still have the reflectors. I used one of them with a P7. It doesn't get rid of the hole, but it does tighten of the beam a bit. You still have to defocus a little or use a textured reflector for a hole free experience. From what I understand, it's just the nature of emitter like the P7 when used with a reflector to produce a hole when they are focused. Using an emitter like the SST-50 shouldn't produce a hole like the P7.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
You beat me to the punch. I was just about to do the same with my 2D MagLites. Saves me the trouble, I guess.

About the end of the tube having less threads, it allows the head to sit about a quarter inch further out, making the Rebel MagLEDs about a quarter inch longer than the incan/previous MagLED models. This is because the deeper reflector will hit the end of the battery tube if you thread it in all the way on an older battery tube. If you were to trim down the end of the tube an appropriate amount you can swap the switch assembly and reflector over from a Rebel MagLED over to an older MagLite and it will work. The tailcap is identical between the older and newer lights as well as the head itself, minus the reflector.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Here's the new reflector besides the older style of reflector with the cams trimmed. The rebel reflector is on the right. Besides making them deeper, the bulb opening is now 13mm wide compared to the 15mm of the older style of reflector.
4143975631_cb806e4f21_o.jpg

Oh man, I want one, or better yet some!

elumen8

Enlightened
Hey JamisonM, you did such a nice job on the photos of the 2D...do you think you could do the same photos with a 2AA mini mag? hint hint :popcorn:

JB

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL,

I just tore into mine last night as well. The reflector was the thing that got me the most excited. I did notice the other variations as well. Better heat sinking the switch etc. I took the pill out and slipped it into a 2aa magled and even on 2aa its still very bright. To be honest the output of the light blew me away, ( I guess I wasn't expecting much) The laser like beam and ultra small hot spot on full focus was a surprise too.

I sure would like to get my hands on about 5 of these reflectors.

Hey did anyone else get serial numbers on theirs, I didn't:shrug:

Last edited:

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a Maglite Rebel with one of FM's reflectors for a custom XP-G build.

Turns out the Rebel Maglites have a few less threads then standard mags in the head. This made it so I could not properly focuse the MOP Aluminum reflector from FM. I had to use a stock reflector. What a shame... Just a word of caution!

spc

Enlightened
I used a Maglite Rebel with one of FM's reflectors for a custom XP-G build.

Turns out the Rebel Maglites have a few less threads then standard mags in the head. This made it so I could not properly focuse the MOP Aluminum reflector from FM. I had to use a stock reflector. What a shame... Just a word of caution!

Sink the heatsink lower in the body and use the stock rebel reflector:devil:
unless thats what you meant when you said you had to use the stock reflector

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sink the heatsink lower in the body and use the stock rebel reflector:devil:
unless thats what you meant when you said you had to use the stock reflector

I had to use a stock "normal" mag reflector, because I didn't want to sink the heatsink down. The FM Aluminum OP reflector that I wanted to use is a few mm not as deep as a normal stock mag reflector, and it wouldn't go down far enough to focus the XPG to a spot. Perhaps I could have tried to raise up the heatsink 2mm or so, instead of it sitting flush.

Just wanted to point out that there are a lot of minor differences between a standard 3D mag and a rebel 3D.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Are these new maglites focusable? Anyone have output comparisons to a malkoff dropin?:popcorn:
They are. They focus just like the the older luxeon III and incan maglites. Output wise, they should be close. However, the Malkoff drop-in has much better heatsinking.

I had to use a stock "normal" mag reflector, because I didn't want to sink the heatsink down. The FM Aluminum OP reflector that I wanted to use is a few mm not as deep as a normal stock mag reflector, and it wouldn't go down far enough to focus the XPG to a spot. Perhaps I could have tried to raise up the heatsink 2mm or so, instead of it sitting flush.

Just wanted to point out that there are a lot of minor differences between a standard 3D mag and a rebel 3D.
Maybe cutting and stripping a piece of 12awg or larger wire would fix the problem?

bhds

Enlightened
They are. They focus just like the the older luxeon III and incan maglites. Output wise, they should be close. However, the Malkoff drop-in has much better heatsinking.

Interesting, its nice to see maglite catching up with the current technologies. I love the output of my malkoff modded 2D and 3D but really hate the way you have to unscrew the heads to focus.

mrsinbad

Enlightened
Hey JamisonM,

I snagged me a 2D and 3D M@g LED on a Black Friday deal too. I loaded both up with alkalines and found the 2D version to be brighter than the 3D version. Did you get the same results? Anyone else?

ledaholic

Enlightened
Hey JamisonM,

I snagged me a 2D and 3D M@g LED on a Black Friday deal too. I loaded both up with alkalines and found the 2D version to be brighter than the 3D version. Did you get the same results? Anyone else?

Yes, the same results as you.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Hey JamisonM,

I can't say. The last time I had one of the 2D rebel maglites was earlier in the year. I've since sold them, but kept the reflectors.