First emitter swap: Silverpoint XP-G upgrade

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Just completed my first emitter swap today. I had a batch of XP-G R4s that I've been using on another project, so I though it would be worth seeing if I could upgrade one of my older lights.

The host is a Silverpoint 2xAA light. Originally with an XR-E, probably around Q4 bin. Output is claimed 80 lumens, and it's been a good single-mode light, but a little on the yellow side, and after a year I figured it was time to see if it could be made a bit brighter:

01_silverpoint.jpg

I also thought it best to try upgrading this first rather than messing up something more expensive :poof:

OK - the head and reflector unscrew quite easily. Here's the old star with the new emitter still in its bag:

02_old_new.jpg

Unscrew the aluminium retaining ring and the pill comes out quite easily:

03_pill_open.jpg

Old emitter out and new one ready to go in. Note blob of heatsink compound (the original mounting was dry !):

04_pill_open2.png
04_pill_open2.jpg

Re-assembly was, in best Haynes Manual tradition, the reverse of dis-assembly.

Finished article, with XP-G in its new home:

05_xpg_newhome1.jpg

06_xpg_newhome2.jpg

This is the point that I'm always scared that I've messed something up, but it fired up first time - woo hoo ! The tint is much whiter and the beam is noticeably brighter. I had been a bit concerned whether the LED would sit at the right height in the reflector, but the beam looks really clean.

Really pleased with my first mod ! :)

It's getting dark now, so I'll try and do some beamshots later. Just realised that I should have done some 'before' shots , uh, before taking it apart :ohgeez:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Reposted, with updated links and beamshots:

Just completed my first emitter swap today. I had a batch of XP-G R4s that I've been using on another project, so I though it would be worth seeing if I could upgrade one of my older lights.

The host is a Silverpoint 2xAA light. Originally with an XR-E, probably around Q4 bin. Output is claimed 80 lumens, and it's been a good single-mode light, but a little on the yellow side, and after a year I figured it was time to see if it could be made a bit brighter:

01_silverpoint.jpg

I also thought it best to try upgrading this first rather than messing up something more expensive

OK - the head and reflector unscrew quite easily. Here's the old star with the new emitter still in its bag:

02_old_new.jpg

Unscrew the aluminium retaining ring and the pill comes out quite easily:
03_pill_open.jpg

Old emitter out and new one ready to go in. Note blob of heatsink compound (the original mounting was dry !):

04_pill_open2.jpg

Re-assembly was, in best Haynes Manual tradition, the reverse of dis-assembly.

Finished article, with XP-G in its new home:

05_xpg_newhome1.jpg

06_xpg_newhome2.jpg

This is the point that I'm always scared that I've messed something up, but it fired up first time - woo hoo ! The tint is much whiter and the beam is noticeably brighter. I had been a bit concerned whether the LED would sit at the right height in the reflector, but the beam looks really clean.

Really pleased with my first mod !

Beamshots:
07_beamshot.jpg

08_stairwell_sp.jpg