whats the big deal about the e2e??

pal251

Newly Enlightened
What is the big deal about the e2e? I got mine yesterday (satin grey direct from surefire) The light is smaller than my g2 but not by much and you cant even put a upgrade bulb in it. In my opinion I think it is too small. I will be sending it back on tuesday I think when I get some time. Maybe I will just save my pennies and get a k4

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya' know. I felt the same way about the Eiffel Tower. What's the big deal with that anyway? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet the E2e wouldn't survive a drop off the top of the Eiffel tower!

Where's Al when you need him!?

I find the E2e a little to small in girth for my hands and will probably stick to the larger 2 cell lights myself. I would like to see an L4 though just to check it out.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm pissed off that's where I am. [edit: just tired and pissed off in general - not specific to this thread]

What's the big deal about the E2e?

I think the more appropriate question is
What was the big deal about the E2e?

The E Series changed things - it made the ability to carry quality light all the time open to those who don't like to have "batbelts" with pouches and stuff. That's because the "standard" size two SF123A models that SureFire offers are really too thick for pocket carry - even the D2/C2.

The E Series allowed you to have this amazingly compact, bright and quality beam with decent runtime clipped in your pocket.

The big deal is that the E2e was the first 123A flashlight for the people rather then those whose's job requires them to carry flashlights.

At least that's my take.

The E2e changed the expectations of people to such the extent that people think of the A2 and L4 as large flashlights. That's the big deal!

The E2e showed that with many other two 123A models coming on to the market, SureFire raised the bar and did the shrinking move and got a lot of respect for it I think.

But I feel that the E2e is dated. The L4 does everything I expected the E2e to do and it does it better. Things move on. But then that's coming from me and I've been involved with the new things coming out of SureFire for quite some time.

For others, the E2e remains the ultimate EDC flashlight and it was for me for a long time [before the A2 and now L4]

I think the big deal about the E2e was that it changed the way people treated flashlights.

Al

ChrisA

Enlightened
Funny things is - it has been the one light a true flashaholic had to have when I signed up here and that's only one and a half year ago. Things are moving quite rapidly in flashlight business since leds improved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif But I do like the idea of remembering the E2E as one of the major steps to raise the bar for everyday high quality flashlights. Mine lies in a display case and gets less and less use due to Peter G's extraordinary products. But once in a while I take it outside just for the sake of it - it's just too damn fine to let it collect dust... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris

pahl

Enlightened
I don't have a E2e yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but think I understand were your coming from.
My EDC light is a G2-BK. I carry it on my "batbelts" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif in a leather holster.
The other day I took my E1-GM out to use and I thought to myself this thing is to small and as I used it I wondered why I ordered a E1e-HA. Did I really need another small light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

I think every light probly serves a purpose.

My G2 is a great EDC light for me.
I like being able to clip my E1 to my cap well fishing in the dark.

I think a great cross between these two lights would be a E20-HA light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I still don't think I would give up my G2 or E1, but it would still be nice to have something in a E2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Hey! I just purchased a E2e today and can't wait for it to arrive. Okay, fine, I'm a newbie, but you guys are talking about the E2e like it's outdated. Personally, I don't have that much money, or else I would have gotten an L4, but for now I don't think the L4 is worth the money. Al is right about the standard Surefire's being too big for pocket carry. I think the E2e is the perfect flashlight for EDC and limited tactical uses. The BIG deal is that its SMALL, and one of Surefire's best designs. LED's have their benefits, but so do incandescents. The E2e is just as useful now as when it came out, and isn't deserving of being overlooked by anyone as simply a "casualty of technological progess", at least not now. Maybe in a couple of years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Some people in life have to have the newest. With me, it's SureFires. For me, it is out of date. But then again, if I'm going to be like that, the KL4 is already out of date too. There's no pleasing some people is there?!
Having said that, the E2e pleased me longer than any other flashlight.

Al

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the big deal about the e2e is still the smallness of it. For you it may not be much smaller than a g2 but if you are carrying the light in your pocket, the size difference can be quite noticable.

Also (and this is a huge one), it is still the smallest 2x123 light going. A lot of Surefire's competitors have come out with 2x123 lights in the g2/6p size range but no one makes a light as small as the e2e.

Pat

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't going to respond but, heck, had to. I had an E1E, tried it with the KL1,too blue, a little weak. Still have an arc lsh-p,nice light and could be brighter, but the E2E is still pocketable with the clip, doesn't get in the way of the other things in my pants pocket and above all else, it casts an amazingly bright, shocking to mag owners and people with those kind of expectations, light with a good throw. People never know what to say, it provides a jaw dropping reaction to many and have heard many say , "wow, that dusts my maglite".
Pal251 I think just wanted to get a reaction from the E2E admirers, especially from the surefire diehards. I just consider myself one to give credit where credit is due. I don't see anything from any other manufacturer that can dethrone the E2E from what it does best, shine brightly and at a distance in a small package. Every 2x123 light I've seen coming on the market just doesn't have the form-size factor that the E2E has.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The E2e is as good as it ever was. Sure there are other lights. Some are bigger or smaller, some are brighter or
have longer runtimes, but the E2e still has great throw
& fits in a pocket & the price is about half of a L4.
The E2e is smaller than A2 & lot of light for the money.
Since you think the E2e is too small I don't thing you will
like the L4 either because it is the same diameter & only
three eights of an inch longer. I think all or most of us
are always looking for something better but the E2e still
holds its own against some very fine lights.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The combination of different types of cells you can drive the E2x with, plus the combination of heads you can put on it that's available right now make the E2x far more "expandable" than I think SureFire had even imagined...

Just think, an E2C changes the use of the E2x body completely. Put in a Copia and it changes the the use once again. Stick in a KL1 and you have another light. Put on a KL4 and you have yet another light. Both the KLxs can run off of a Copia or 2x123s or stick in 4x 1/5A NiMHs and you have yet another cell option. The Copia can then drive a McLux head on the E2x. And the E2C adaptor opens up the KT-turboheads as well as other P6x upgrades.

"Modular" is what comes to my mind in an E2x...

pal251

Newly Enlightened
If I am gonna put a e2c on the e2e wouldnt it be better off just buying a g2? I hate playing devils advocate but I am just not getting it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif *goes back to his big g2*

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, can a G2 turn back into an E2e?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

In another way...
With a large Pelican case, I can have 1 body to do it all:

For wide flood: McLux head and Copia
For narrow throw: KT1 head on E2C and N2 and 123s
For medium throw/flood: KL4 and Copia/123s
For medium throw: KL1 and Copias/123s
For longer throw: MN02/03
For large output: P6x in C/Z/M2/P or Thead

robk

Enlightened
I got an E2 last week. I hated it. Now it's growing on me. It has a great beam, reasonable run-time, easy to hold, I could go on and on. It's a very good light, keep it for a while and see if you like it any better!
Rob