bFlex and XP-G compatible?

donn_

Flashaholic
I have a bFlex V2.01 UIP converter and a shortened momentary modded D switch, and I'd like a Mag with an XP-G emitter using these parts.

1. Is it possible? Will this converter adequately drive the XP-G?

2. What else do I need, besides heatsink, etc, ?

3. Can someone give me a step-by-step, or direct me to one?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
I have a bFlex V2.01 UIP converter and a shortened momentary modded D switch, and I'd like a Mag with an XP-G emitter using these parts.

1. Is it possible? Will this converter adequately drive the XP-G?

2. What else do I need, besides heatsink, etc, ?

3. Can someone give me a step-by-step, or direct me to one?

Thanks in advance.

Donn,

Yes, the bFlex will drive an XP-G LED, up to the max. 1000mA that this driver can give. Being a buck converter, in order to be in regulation you need a voltage/battery pack higher than the vf of the LED, which with the latest drivers should be about 25V max. Per the manual, if you are driving the XP-G at 1000mA, you need at least vf + 1.2 volts from your batteries.

From what I can read, and from my own prior usage of this particular driver, no, there is not enough power being dissipated for this driver to need any heatsinking.

As to a DIY, you can look at my projects - this in particular might be of help:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221819

Will

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
wquiles covered it all quite well, you just need to make sure that there is enough of a voltage overhead (approx 1v) so that the LED stays in regulation and doesn't dim.

LED + and - will go to the LED, Batt + and - (or Gnd, can't remember which it is on the Bflex) will have to go to the battery contacts... + can go to the spring contact on the bottom of the switch, but - will be a bit more complicated I suspect. The switch goes to (from memory) SWA and SWB on the Bflex, and it should be isolated from the + and - battery contacts. Whever you have disconnected the - from the switch is probably a decent place to hook up the Batt - to the Bflex.

donn_

Flashaholic
:thanks:

I opened the package and looked at the driver, and went to the taskled site. It appears I have version 1.0 of bFlex, and not the (B/S/T) advertised 2.01.

Does this make a difference in my application?

"Vf +1.2V" Cree's datasheet lists Vf at 1A as 3.3, so I need at least 4.5V from the cells, correct?

The switch mod was done by another member, and is complete with 4 labeled leads, ~4" long. It's a very nice job, and illustrated here.

wquiles

Flashaholic
:thanks:

I opened the package and looked at the driver, and went to the taskled site. It appears I have version 1.0 of bFlex, and not the (B/S/T) advertised 2.01.

Does this make a difference in my application?

"Vf +1.2V" Cree's datasheet lists Vf at 1A as 3.3, so I need at least 4.5V from the cells, correct?

The switch mod was done by another member, and is complete with 4 labeled leads, ~4" long. It's a very nice job, and illustrated here.

It should not mater which version for your application. If I recall, the newer driver had higher max voltage rating. Just make sure you look at the right wiring diagram (holes/wiring locations change a little between versions) before connecting and you should be fine ;)

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to be 100% sure... when using the switch that Donn linked to, the two switch wires from the mag switch should go to the two SW1 connections on the board, or do they go to the SWA/SWB contacts, or does it even matter?

This question is also in reference to bflex v1.0 http://www.taskled.com/leds/bflex.pdf

donn_

Flashaholic
I just wanted to report back on this project.

Based on the feedback in this thread, I sent an FM 1D EN-plated Mag tube out to member jasonck08, along with a bFlex V1 driver and the momentary-modded switch linked above.

I shipped it on 11/30. Jason assembled the build and it got back home on 12/6. Coast-to-coast-to-coast in a week.

IMGP3102.jpg

IMGP3100.jpg

It works flawlessly! I don't know if you can see it, but the aluminum reflector is lightly OP'd in only the first 1/2" around the aperture, and smooth the rest of the way out.

The beam is perfect and strong. The bFlex is set at the 1A current table, and performs perfectly. I'm running on 2x RCR123 cells right now, but looking for another solution, with more runtime. The tube is bored for 4xAA cells, so I may try to get a 3x 14670 holder in there.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

:thanks: Jason! Great job!

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Donn for posting pictures! The host looks great with that finned head!

And thanks wquiles for answering our questions about the bflex, as this is the first time I've used it. Nice little driver...