E2DL UI question - Hi to low, then what?

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
I think that I'm going to pull the trigger on the new 200 lumen E2DL tomorrow after work:party:. Sick of waiting for the LX1, and the LX2 is just a little more $ than I want to spend.

I will be using the light for hiking. I will be using it on the low mode 95% of the time for 1 - 1.5 hours at a time. I understand how to get to the low mode once you turn the light on. Now, assuming that I am in low, is it only a simple click to get back to high? Or does it go off, then on again? That would be fine, but do I have to wait 2 seconds?

I don't want to be playing blinky disco light games when I want to light something up down a trail. I want the light to just go from low to hi.

Basically, I want...."low" click "off" click "hi"

The E1B is also an option, but I want the "f-off" brightness of the E2DL.:naughty:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to switch it off and immediately back on, no need to wait.

I don't fully get this UI (which s*cks somewhat...). If I concentrate on clicking, it works for the mode change, if not I may end up in the same I was in before. Perhaps I'mm too used to either light-click to change modes without having to turn it off, or light-click before turning it on. This one only works with ON/OFF, no mode change in momentary... :sigh:

henry1960

Enlightened
I think that I'm going to pull the trigger on the new 200 lumen E2DL tomorrow and the LX2 is just a little more $ than I want to spend.

Do your self a favor and wait a month or two or what ever it takes for you to save that little extra money for the LX2 LIGHT. I have both the E2DL and the LX2 and love them both but i like the LX2 better for its low then high, runtime i think is also better and it`s slightly brighter then the E2DL. Al and al it`s worth waiting for and you will not regreat it. :twothumbs

mfrey

Enlightened
For hiking/outdoor use either UI would work. For tactical/defensive use the LX2 is the clear choice, crenellated bezel notwithstanding.

The E2DL switches between high and low with each consecutive press or click of the switch, resetting to high after a period of disuse of 2-3 seconds. I find with fast switching that the light hangs on low for several presses before switching back to high, one of the nuances that annoys me for defensive use.

The low of the E2DL is also noticeably lower than that of the LX2. I prefer the E2DL in this regard for close-up work or night navigation. Then again, you can always put a diffuser on the LX2 which subdues the beam a bit if you find it to be too bright.

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
For hiking/outdoor use either UI would work. For tactical/defensive use the LX2 is the clear choice, crenellated bezel notwithstanding.

The E2DL switches between high and low with each consecutive press or click of the switch, resetting to high after a period of disuse of 2-3 seconds. I find with fast switching that the light hangs on low for several presses before switching back to high, one of the nuances that annoys me for defensive use.

The low of the E2DL is also noticeably lower than that of the LX2. I prefer the E2DL in this regard for close-up work or night navigation. Then again, you can always put a diffuser on the LX2 which subdues the beam a bit if you find it to be too bright.

Interesting! I want my low to be low, but not too low. I still need to be able to see stuff. I guess I can swing the LX2, but it is more the thought of spending that much on a light that makes me :sick2:. The E2DL will mean less buyers remorse ;)

I'll give both user interfaces a try at the store with the demo models, but I won't be able to tell if the low will meet my needs until I get them out in the field. I do think that the LX2 is the "perfect" light for my needs. I am also somewhat concerned about the crenulation on the E2DL eating-up my pockets.

Thanks for the help folks! I'll take any additional thoughts that anyone would like to share and I'll update on my choice later.:rock:

dwever

Newly Enlightened
I have both the E2DL and the LX2, and I'm going to disagree with Henry 1960 who says, "i like the LX2 better for its low then high, runtime i think is also better and it`s slightly brighter then the E2DL."

The LX2 is not slightly brighter, my lights are the same, but the LX2 does have an every-so-slightly tighter beam as noted previously on this forum by others which gives it a little more throw. For LE work, I definitely ended up liking the E2DL because of the excessive pressure it takes to keep the LX2 on high - if your thumb lets up even ever so slightly the LX2 drops down to 25 lumens until you're squeezing the crap out of it again to get it back up to 200 - hardly practical during a traffic stop. You shouldn't be paying that much attention to your light in a safety situation, tactical or otherwise. With the E2DL you click it once for high beam and you're there, making it a clear choice for standard LE work in my mind which is why I bought it after using the LX2 for a shift. Some will point out that besides the momentary button in the rear, the LX2 also stays on by twisting the back - but this is very impractical at least in my application because the throw of the twist is WAY too long, almost 340 degrees of twisting to get from low to high beam making it a dangerous two-handed process or tricky and lengthy one-handed process in which the clip still gets in the way in either one. Not a problem for for non-tactical applications, but these limitations would make me want the LX2 tactically only when I knew I would only need the light for short bursts, hardly realistic.

For general carry and for hiking for sure the LX2 is the clear choice. Nicer fit and finish, and the low beam is very adequate in the dark at night if you're walking around, the low beam on the E2DL is too dim for that. I use my LX2 for general carry. If you're going to general carry the E2DL you almost certainly want a light holster or you're going to feel the edges in your pocket (don't get the Surefire holster, it is inadequat). I recommend one made for the E2Dl by Safariland which should also work on the Lx2.

Both great lights, general use the LX2 is the choice.

One question: I have noticed that with the E2DL, if I double click too fast it stays on bright rather than dropping down - anyone else getting that?

Gatsby

Enlightened
I have an E1L and an E2L and there are definitely variations in how the UI works between these two (and I would by extension imagine the E1B and E2DL have the same) - at least regarding how long it has to be off to reset to the first mode (a full 3 seconds on the E1L, closer to 1 second on the E2L) and how rapidly it moves between modes - although both are pretty quick in this regard and it is hard for me to "hang" it at one level - it reads the momentary off and jumps quickly.

As between the two lights I'd be inclined to go for the UI moreso than anything else (assuming you're OK with the E2DL bezel) - I have an L1 Cree and find that, perhaps due to years of HDS/Novatac usage, I tend to like the clickie interface more than the press/twist. But MANY other people have the opposite point of view...

dcycleman

Enlightened
I have both the E2DL and the LX2, and I'm going to disagree with Henry 1960 who says, "i like the LX2 better for its low then high, runtime i think is also better and it`s slightly brighter then the E2DL."

The LX2 is not slightly brighter, my lights are the same, but the LX2 does have an every-so-slightly tighter beam as noted previously on this forum by others which gives it a little more throw. For LE work, I definitely ended up liking the E2DL because of the excessive pressure it takes to keep the LX2 on high - if your thumb lets up even ever so slightly the LX2 drops down to 25 lumens until you're squeezing the crap out of it again to get it back up to 200 - hardly practical during a traffic stop. You shouldn't be paying that much attention to your light in a safety situation, tactical or otherwise. With the E2DL you click it once for high beam and you're there, making it a clear choice for standard LE work in my mind which is why I bought it after using the LX2 for a shift. Some will point out that besides the momentary button in the rear, the LX2 also stays on by twisting the back - but this is very impractical at least in my application because the throw of the twist is WAY too long, almost 340 degrees of twisting to get from low to high beam making it a dangerous two-handed process or tricky and lengthy one-handed process in which the clip still gets in the way in either one. Not a problem for for non-tactical applications, but these limitations would make me want the LX2 tactically only when I knew I would only need the light for short bursts, hardly realistic.

For general carry and for hiking for sure the LX2 is the clear choice. Nicer fit and finish, and the low beam is very adequate in the dark at night if you're walking around, the low beam on the E2DL is too dim for that. I use my LX2 for general carry. If you're going to general carry the E2DL you almost certainly want a light holster or you're going to feel the edges in your pocket (don't get the Surefire holster, it is inadequat). I recommend one made for the E2Dl by Safariland which should also work on the Lx2.

Both great lights, general use the LX2 is the choice.

One question: I have noticed that with the E2DL, if I double click too fast it stays on bright rather than dropping down - anyone else getting that?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about my outdoorsman, I have had two of them and one I could switch modes as fast as I could tap the button, and the second one I got, if I do a double tap real quick is stays on low, (or high if I'm already using high) many users have the same experience so I wouldnt worry about it.

dcycleman

Enlightened
oh yeah, and to the op, why dont you consider the e2l outdoorsman, 3 lumen low (which is plenty to navigate a trail in the dark, I know, I'm an avid hiker myself) with a 100 hour burntime (great survival light if things go bad) and a very throwy 60 lumen high with a stated 11 hour burntime. dude for real the batteries last in this thing for a llllooooonnnngg time. Thats my only go to light for hiking, but hey thats just me. the 5 lumen low on the e2dl would fit the bill too but I dont like having to cycle through high to get to low. it is a cool looking light though I was thinking of getting one myself.