MG-PLI-Cree vs Surefire

clearbluesky

Newly Enlightened
I have been greatly impressed with my new MG-PLI-Cree from Shingbeam, great light output at a great price. However my son was wondering how it compares with Surefire as "all his mates have these" but he thinks they are more expensive.

Any suggestions?

Also anyone suggested a flashlight similar to the MG-PLI-Cree but with twice the battery duration wghich is really it's one weakness?

Thanks!

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFires ARE more expensive ! Ask him if he can justify the extensive cost ?

Your son must be hangin with some mates from well-to-do families .

Tell him it's a Bling / status symbol thing .

When he grows up ... HE can buy the expensive SureFires !

Soon he's gonna be wanting a BMW too . Maybe his mates have other named "****Fire" lights .

Last edited:

amigafan2003

Enlightened
Also anyone suggested a flashlight similar to the MG-PLI-Cree but with twice the battery duration wghich is really it's one weakness?
A light the same size, the same brightness but twice the run time doesn't currently exist.

If you want a tighter beam but still bright (200+ lumens) that uses the same batteries (that you already have) you won't go wrong with the L-Mini II also from MG and shining beam - get the turbo head for fun as well :) That will run for 2+hrs. You'll have to be quick when they come into stock though as they are incredibly popular.

Pair the PLI and l-mini II up on my mtb for night time off road rides.

clearbluesky

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply but despite being more expensive are they any better??

SureFires ARE more expensive ! Ask him if he can justify the extensive cost ?

Your son must be hangin with some mates from well-to-do families .

Tell him it's a Bling / status symbol thing .

When he grows up ... HE can buy the expensive SureFires !

Soon he's gonna be wanting a BMW too . Maybe his mates have other named "****Fire" lights .

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire lights are generally regarded as being one of the highest quality manufacturers out there. Others include HDS Systems/Ra lights, and, well that's about it...

Surefire lights don't really ever tend to be the brightest, or fanciest, or have the most modes/gizmos, but they do produce a rock-solid light that will withstand some serious abuse. And if they ever do fail, their Customer Service is very good (by phone, apparently they are kind of slow by e-mail), and they often ask no questions and send a replacement part (such as tailcaps) within a few days.

Surefire is also a good benchmark by which to gauge the output of other lights, as Surefire rates the lumens their light produces in "out the front" lumens. Most other manufacturers rate their lights at "emitter lumens" and therefore, due to losses in the reflector/optic assembly and window glass, you will usually lose ~25% (a good benchmark #, some are more, others less) of emitter lumens when measuring "out the front" lumens.

Surefire lights tend to be more expensive than other lights, especially when you compare subjective things like output, run-times, User interfaces, modes (different levels of output), etc. But, unlike other lights out there, they are made here in America, and relied upon by members of our armed forces, various governmental agencies, etc. Basically, there warranty is "you break it, we fix it, forever" (batteries and bulbs not included, however).

Surefire makes Excellent lights, but they are not for everyone. If you need maximum output, go somewhere else, if you need maximum run-time, go somewhere else, if you like lights that have tons of modes, and whiz-bang gadgets, go somewhere else... But if need a light that is going to light up, every time, pick up a Surefire.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

You're not going to get any good answers for two reasons:
1. Surefire makes lots of models, so without knowing what model you want the PLI compared to, there's not much we can say about it.
2. Asking which one is "better" without giving us your son's requirements doesn't give us anything to work with.

--flatline

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry , I can't comment to the better question .

And the Mod's don't like SureFire v/s others posts .

You'll have to compare em yourself .

We cant answer that question of opinion for you . It's your call .

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
But if need a light that is going to light up, every time, pick up a Surefire.

Surefires can fail too, just like other brands. They may be more reliable than a number of brands, but anything can fail especially if it is not maintained.

get Your light to the SFs and compare,
how about that?

Pardon?

You're not going to get any good answers for two reasons:
1. Surefire makes lots of models, so without knowing what model you want the PLI compared to, there's not much we can say about it.
2. Asking which one is "better" without giving us your son's requirements doesn't give us anything to work with.

--flatline

Best reply yet! Give us some more information and we can do a better job of helping you. :)

clearbluesky

Newly Enlightened
I would love to be able to give more info and would like to compare side by side but his mates Surefires are in use te other side of the world.

So I understand and really appreciate the comments here, esp John Galts. Please forgive total lack of info too, bit of a silly question, it may have been more sensible to ask what people think of Surefire as a brand and what their service is like. For example, the guys in question with the Surefires will always pay more for a Leatherman tool, maybe even double, because they know they are buying outstanding service and quality. - There I have probably answered my own question!!

Best reply yet! Give us some more information and we can do a better job of helping you. :)[/QUOTE]

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most of us assumed your son was still in school, but if he has a job that requires a flashlight, then maybe there's a very good reason that his "mates" all use surefire.

How old is your son and, if no longer school age, what does your son do?

--flatline

amigafan2003

Enlightened
despite being more expensive are they any better??
Many would argue an Audi is better than a Ford but that doesn't mean the Ford wont be able to get you to work safely, quickly and reliably.

You just wont be able to show it off and brag about how much it cost!

There is always a "minimum" quality and construction standard to make a product fit for purpose - many "cheaper" brands (inc MG, Romisen etc) easily exceed this requirement. You then get to brands like 4sevens, Fenix, Olight, Jetbeam where they probably over engineer for most common users. Then you get surefire that over engineer for every known use.

Think about how important 100% reliability is to you and pick your price range. Remember though - simply carrying another torch cuts down the chance of being without light by a massive margin. Two torches at $50 each = $100 or one torch @ $200. I'd choose two torches and others would choose one torch. Some would even choose two $200 torches!

Hmm, I asn't going to get into this too much but there ya go!

Last edited: