How many lights do you really need?

pahl

Enlightened
I don't mean lights that sit around to collect dust, but lights that really get used.

I use a Surefire G2-BK daily and I use a E1 well fishing.
I'm thinking about getting a couple yellow G2's for my wife and kid to use on the weekends well camping and fishing.

I have a E1e-HA on the way, but I'm not sure just how much use it will really get.

So for me I really only have two user flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

How about you? How many flashlights do you really need? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i need at least 3: dim, medium, bright.

for me, that is an
arc aaa or infinity ultra,
inretech or attitude or opalec
tec 40 or...SURGE!

Bob

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually ya need Dim medium and bright in both flood and tight beam versions that will fit in a pocket. Ya need Dim medium and bright ineach batter type to assure that you can always get resupplies. Ya also need various sizes for portability.

It starts to become 3x9x4x6 on, and on, and on until ya get up to real numbers.

ChrisA

Enlightened
Okay, I use/need about 10 flashlights on a regular basis. Arc LSL and AAA are EDC lights, EL Blaster III/Surefire D3 for a lot more 'punch', PT Rage/CMG Ultra for short-duration camping, SL Scorpion/Inova X5T in the car and CMG Infinity/Opalec Newbeam (in Brinkman Legend) as nightlight. And if my girlfriend asks - the rest of the pile gets heavy usage too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
One would do unfortunatly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I did just fine for years with only a a single aaa brinkman incandescant sitting in a drawer for the few times a year I needed a flashlight. (I imagine it's output is similar to a mag solitaire)
But now Arc-LS never leaves my side. The fact that I very rarely need a flashlight doesn't stop me from using my Arc-LS a couple dozen times a day. Sometimes in fully lit rooms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh...you can justify lights you dont use....like for tho collapse of socioty...you just dont know what kind of batteries you will be able to find.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
These "How many lights do you really need?" and "If you could only have one light..." type threads just scare the heck out of me.

I NEED my lights, each and every one.

Pat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with treek13, all of my lights are necessary, even if I don't use them. If I don't like them, they are unecessary, and I get rid of them, but if I like them, I keep them.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe in the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)

To be honest, I think most people only need maybe 2 lights at the most, for typical use (note that obviously there are exceptions for certain professions..)

Basically, I think you only need a small, keychain style light, and a larger, brighter light which is a has a fairly wide spot with good peripheral light.

Use the little one for close in stuff, and the bigger one for further away stuff.

All this concern about dim and bright and flood and tight beam seems to be overlooking the fact that as humans we have bodies which move, and we can actually *move* the light we have so that it is appropriate.

Who says that a light has to stay in one place? In most situations, if you can't illuminate something well enough, move the light closer where possible.
If its too bright, move it away.

I don't think you could ever allow for every possible contingency that might require light, but if you can cover 80% or 90% of day to day needs, then I think thats sufficient.

I've carried an Arc AAA and E2e every day for the last year and a half, and both are still on their original batteries.
Do I use them? Yes, but only when necessary - which isn't really too often - and the Arc AAA much more than the E2e.
Of course, I can't say that I am typical or the 'norm', but I would tend to think that situations requiring more than this are on the rare side for most people.

The most useful light is the one you have on you when you need it...

Graham

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could get away with just my Streamlight Polystinger, Surefire A-2 and the Surefire L4.

gyverpete

Enlightened
I use my ARC-AAA for most everything. It rides on a neck lanyard 24/7 along with a photon II yellow (which used to be my only EDC light before CPF, but now serves as a backup or long-runtime light that rarely gets used.) In addition, I EDC an ARC-LS but it doesn't get used much.
So one light, the AAA, is all I NEED. But the other two are small enough to justify carrying in case they're needed.

These are all the additional lights I own but they rarely get used and are never EDC gear: Arc AAA turquoise; Photon II white; photon-style UV; Led Lenser 3N; swisslight I; Mag 2AA, 2AAA, and solitaire; Brinkmann LX in (bug out bag in car); 1 mcp spotlight (car trunk).

I agree with Graham's post, esp. "The most useful light is the one you have on you when you need it..."
Ain't that the truth?!

richpalm

Banned
All I can get! Seriously, I carry two at work. (I work on a detox unit midnites at an area hospital) so I want a retina-scorcher if anyone gets nuts, which does happen. Right now that's a SL XL. I keep an Inova X5 as a backup and carry both in a Ripoffs holster. The Inova is good for doing rounds as I can bounce it off the ceiling without waking anyone up.

SL XT HP for the house, a Scorpion for size considerations if going out for dinner, etc., various incarnations of Maglites for every room in the house and vehicles. (Power failures are common)

Face it, most of my waking hours are in the dark-never too many lights! (Many surefires on my wishlist but too many $$$)

Rich

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always need way more than enough lights for me to even think about using them all...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I now have 59 so that is the answer until my next purchase. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pal251

Newly Enlightened
ahh a very important thread thats bound to cause a bunch of talken.

I Think you need a light for every use, that might be for emergancies or a EDC light. I use my g2 at work on my duty belt (as of yesterday) once I get my g2z I will replace it with that and use the g2 as my edc. I will still occasionally use the sl20x which is always in the charger at work....I refer to it as my head cracker light. I also use it around the house when the misses is asleep ( I put my hand over the end of the light so its not so bright) But it will soon be put in the car when I get a car charger and time to mount it in the trunk. THen I will have another g2 for the glove box with some extra batteries. Then we all have to have the most mega output light that you can afford for giggles. Or at least I do. I want to start saving 60 bucks a month or so and get a m6. I think you need a light by the bed of your house along with one under the sink or utility closet...so basically about 6 or 7 lights.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Is this a real question? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif