Anyone besides Quark have a MCE-RGB light?

haplo

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else using the MCE-RGB emitter other than Quark? I think Quark lights are generally pretty good, however, I dislike the interface a lot on this new light, as it makes the RGB colors a novelty, rather than useful. For it to be useful, I'd want something like Jet Beam's selector ring to choose the color of the LED, *BEFORE* I turned on the light.

I don't mean to pick on Quark, they're just the only manufacturer I saw that has an MCE-RGB light.

Thanks,
H.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Not that I know of. Personally, I think the interface is functional. I don't really see a need to set the color before turning the light on, like you might with the output; but to to each their own.

Viper715

Enlightened
If your wanting a color light for critical puroses then it could be important to select color first similar to the kroma.

apontes

Newly Enlightened
I think the UI is well thought out. Would a ring be better? Sure. But how much would it add to complexity and cost? I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay SF prices (Kroma/Aviator) for one.

haplo

Newly Enlightened
Not that I know of. Personally, I think the interface is functional. I don't really see a need to set the color before turning the light on, like you might with the output; but to to each their own.

My big thing is night vision preservation. If I can knowingly set the output to be red before I turn it on, then there is no chance of ruining my night vision when I turn on the light.

I like how the fenix interface works - head loose, low. head tight, turbo. Click to change modes (low - med - high). If that type of interface could be made with a multi-color LED and a selector ring, I think that would be golden.

H.

Viper715

Enlightened
The way the RGB Quark is set up you can set loose head to red at whatever output you want and leave it there. So you CAN know what color it is going to come on in as long as you always turn it off in the color that you want. So if you want to preserve night vision just don't take it out of red in those situations. Althought I like the selector ring better this UI is still useable and makes for a more cost effective light. I for one have two on the way and can't wait. There is just know other light in this class yet. The Kroma is much more expensive and much bigger. I like that the RGBW can be legoed with the other Quark bodies. I think I will be running it on a 1-123 body or ar AA body with a 14500. When I am using it on duty on my belt I will have a 18650 body. I can't wait to see what other manufacturers do with the Cree MCE-RGBW. It is a very interesting time to be a flashaholic.

Phos4

Newly Enlightened
fellas

red preserving night vision is pretty much a myth; there are about 2 billion threads here that prove it despite lots of bak and forth

http://tinyurl.com/y9577zd

so the key here is that you can set your low level (and keep yer hand over the front of course) and then select red for yer task at hande

gabeesh?

:popcorn:

Viper715

Enlightened
I realize what you are saying but at the times that I am using red it as much to not be detected as it is to keep my dark addapted vision. I keep the light very low in output as well.

jahxman

Enlightened
I leave my Quark RGB set up as follows:

Head Tight: Neutral White Turbo
Head Loose: Red Low

When I click the button, I know exactly what I'm going to get. If I change the mode while using it, I just make sure to turn it off in the mode I will want to turn it on in.

Since it has memory for each of the head positions, this covers what I need. I never want to turn on in green or blue, and If I turn it on red I want it on low, so that is how I set it up.

This is a good bump in the night type set up, as I can navigate with the red low, then a quick twist for white turbo if I want.

I think the interface is a pretty good compromise, the main thing that could make it better IMO would be to be able to hide the blinky modes.

uplite

Enlightened
For it to be useful, I'd want something like Jet Beam's selector ring to choose the color of the LED, *BEFORE* I turned on the light
Or maybe something like the Coast 77364, which has a button for each color:
77364.jpg

It's not an MCE...but frankly, the MCE is not appropriate for this application.

The real strength of the MCE-RGBW is when you combine it with a 4-channel driver to MIX the colors and control the tint, with an appropriate mixing optic.

For discrete colors, IMO, you're better off with discrete LEDs. Plenty of lights do red & white already.

-Jeff

77364.jpg

The real strength of the MCE-RGBW is when you combine it with a 4-channel driver to MIX the colors and control the tint, with an appropriate mixing optic.

For discrete colors, IMO, you're better off with discrete LEDs. Plenty of lights do red & white already.

-Jeff

I thought the real benefit of the MCE-RGB was that you're getting up to 150 true OTF lumens in the color of your choice. The Coast has its draw, but it still relies on lowly Nichia 5mm leds.

mwaldron

Enlightened

-Jeff

I have two of these, bought a couple years ago for the novelty. They have their place, but they're almost always dead when you need them. The buttons are prone to activate at the slightest touch, and since there are 4 of them there's always 1 in the way.

The advantage of the coast is that you can turn on multiple colors at once, but it's beam pattern is horrible and ringy with those 5mm leds.

My Quark RGB-NW arrived today and I have to say it has the most diffuse and floody beam I have ever seen, It's completely unlike the Coast or any other light I have. It's closest to the Kroma K2MS using Red. The low on the Quark is also much lower than the 1 fixed level on the Coast making it more suitable for some uses.

I may try to do some beam shots tonight, I have a K2MS, Coast and Quark RGB and I think they're similar enough that some side by side beam shots might be in order. I've never really been good at those but we'll see what I can do. All I'm missing is the Inova Inforce Color and I think I have all the RGB lights out there...

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Another option would be the Ra Twisty 85TR that starts with a low red and then has two higher white settings. They are still available from one dealer. It's one of my most favorite lights, even though the red might not really help with night vision at all.

uplite

Enlightened
I thought the real benefit of the MCE-RGB was that you're getting up to 150 true OTF lumens in the color of your choice. The Coast has its draw, but it still relies on lowly Nichia 5mm leds.
Yeah, the Coast probably uses low-power color LEDs. I pointed it out mostly for the 4-button user interface. But...when you consider that the #1 real-world use of color flashlights is to minimize visible light...perhaps low power LEDs are the right choice?

Specific products aside...my point was that a quad-die emitter is a poor choice in general for discrete colors. The MCE-RGB does 31 lumens green, 67 lumens red, and 8 lumens blue (@350mA), OK. But if you want that output, you can get it from discrete XPE color LEDs. Then you can pick just the colors you care about, and center each LED in a reflector for a decent beam. There is no easy way to get a good beam from the individual dies on the MCE. The real strength of this package is for MIXING the colors.

-Jeff

Last edited:

uplite

Enlightened
Rayovac also makes a nifty 1AA headlamp with one high-power white led, 2 red leds, and 1 blue led:

511hDqEccVL._SS500_.jpg

If you need red for proximity lighting, or blue for tracking, there is a pretty good chance that your hands are full (with a map, gps, gun, bow, etc). So a headlamp is most appropriate.

And it's only $25!! :eek: ;)

-Jeff

yalskey

Enlightened
Yep, I love the idea of this Quark RGB. It seems like I'd really want to play with it for one evening in my back yard. But to drop $99 on (for what is for me) a neato type light is a bit much. If I had a practical application for it, then maybe.

It kinda reminds me of my old Eternalight Rav'n2, but not in shape, just in novelty / fun. Too bad I had to sell that light :)

mwaldron

Enlightened
Yep, I love the idea of this Quark RGB. It seems like I'd really want to play with it for one evening in my back yard. But to drop $99 on (for what is for me) a neato type light is a bit much. If I had a practical application for it, then maybe.

You know, I've only had mine for a few hours, played with it at work a bit, came home and then I took it apart cleaned it an lubed it up.

I've read lots of people talking about great flood lights, mules at such. I've never had one, and never really thought much of them. I always figured a piece of scotch tape or a diffuser would do just the same job.

It doesn't really seem to. This RGB is complete flood, a true wall of light like nothing else I have. The white alone seems like it will be very useful to me...