Surefire E1L Runtimes?

gnlw

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done runtime tests on the newest generation of the E1L? I've searched both in and out of CPF and cannot find any. Thanks.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Yes, it seems to be the missing runtime. Would be interesting, and neat to see one with two AA NiMh's. I too have searched.

Bill

Illum

Flashaholic
Yes, it seems to be the missing runtime. Would be interesting, and neat to see one with two AA NiMh's. I too have searched.

Bill

I've always wondered by surefire shelved the concept...
208z095.jpg

its interesting to note that while sales and popularity tell otherwise, the E1 series have gotten the least attention for runtimes.

For now, only rough estimates derived from cr123As is made possible by user Parnass

Here are current draw measurements (in milliamps) I made from some of my flashlights. You can compare the E1L to other lights and perhaps extrapolate the runtime from the other lights you own.

Code:
348ma - E1L Cree dual level, 45 lumen level
 46ma - E1L Cree dual level, low setting
198ma - E1L Cree single level, 30 lumen level

152ma - E2L Cree single level, 45 lumens

306ma - Inova T1 MP (2008 model), 100 lumens
675ma - Inova T1    (2007 model)
630ma - Inova T1    (2006 TIROS model)
229ma - Inova T2 (2006 TIROS model)
350ma - Inova X02
510ma - Inova T3 (2006 TIROS model)

Assuming conventional driving [@3V input]
For dual level:
~4 hours on high
~30 hours 26 minutes on low

For Single level:
~7 Hours

According to my personal measurements, his current draw values on the E2L CREE single mode, 2006 T1 and T3 are accurate within 10ma, I'm confident to suggest his other measurements are accurate as well

Last edited:

brightspot

Newly Enlightened
fantastic numbers thank you, seems like I must get a couple more after reading this.

gnlw

Newly Enlightened
My E2E with a KX2 dual-output head (essentially an E2L) switches between modes as fast as I can push the clicky. However, on my "new version" E2DL, I have to pause between switching modes, otherwise the same mode comes back on.

I'm thinking about picking up an E1L, but I want to be able to switch modes without having to pause between mode changes. Does anybody's E1L require the pause between mode changes? I spoke to a tech at Surefire, and he said he is aware that the E2DL does sometimes require a pause between mode changes. However, he believes that the E2L and E1L do not require the pause.

gnlw

Newly Enlightened
Oops. Sorry, I posted the last reply in the wrong thread. (It should have been posted somewhere else.)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
It's your thread, and one of your questions does concern the E1L. I have the E2L, but it is not with me right now to check, but I think that you can pump the switch and change modes quickly if you do not click it through.

Bill

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the E1L runtimes. 4hrs seems kinda low compared to the 8hr runtime stated by Surefire. Was actual testing done or was "extrapolation using current draw estimate" testing done?

Gatsby

Enlightened
The only appreciable difference in terms of function between my E1L and E2L is the time off required to reset back to low - the E1L definitely takes longer than the E2L, but they both switch modes in my experience with no lag or "hang" in one mode unless you're really really fast, but they both seem consistent in that regard.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
About the E1L runtimes. 4hrs seems kinda low compared to the 8hr runtime stated by Surefire. Was actual testing done or was "extrapolation using current draw estimate" testing done?

Extrapolation, per post comments.

Bill

gnlw

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies everyone. Although I haven't timed the runtime on my E2E with the KX2 head, the batteries last a long, long time (and the light's output remains constant). If the E1L's performance is respectively similar (long runtime and flat regulation), and the switching between the modes is just as quick, I'll most likely pick one up. To those of you with both the E2L and E1L, does the regulation on the E1L appear to be just as flat as the E2L? Are you satisfied with the E1L runtime? Also, are you able to switch modes on each just as quickly? Thanks again.

radu1976

Enlightened
I got 1:40 - 1:50 hr runtime using my TENERGY RCR123 3V in my dual output E1L, so I assume that a runtime of 3.5-4hr with a disposable CR123 would be very realistic.
The light seemed to be regulated for that time, according to my eyes . I don't have a luxmeter though, so I can't speak about a very FLAT regulation....

Illum

Flashaholic
I got 1:40 - 1:50 hr runtime using my TENERGY RCR123 3V in my dual output E1L, so I assume that a runtime of 3.5-4hr with a disposable CR123 would be very realistic.
The light seemed to be regulated for that time, according to my eyes . I don't have a luxmeter though, so I can't speak about a very FLAT regulation....

but it does work with 3V RCR123A?
I know when I had the single mode it strobes wildly on AW RCR123A

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
I also run both my Cree 2-stage E1L and E2L on 3.0v RCR123 cells. About 3.6v per cell hot off the charger, doesn't seem to bother them at all, both function perfectly fine.

Don't have a clue on runtime, but I know I don't have to charge them very often. Seems like they run forever................

Last edited:

radu1976

Enlightened
It works OK with the 3V RCRs ...same with my E1B .
E1B runtime with a 3V RCR is about 40 min. Regulated !
I also run 3V RCRs in my 4 TIROS INOVAs :)

Gatsby

Enlightened
I am still on my first SF primary in my E1L (and have used it quite a bit) - I can't speak to runtime but it has not dimmed to my eye at all.

The E2L is just barely brighter than the E1L on high, I can't see any real difference on low (which IIRC is consistent with specs). Both change modes equally well and reliably. I've run the KX2 on the E1 body with a 3.7v AW RCR123 and it works just fine - I keep the cell topped off so I don't know what the total runtime would be but I don't expect on high too much more than 30-40 minutes (I believe there is a thread floating around where someone did a quick and dirty runtime of that configuration and go IIRC around 40 minutes on high). The combination of the two does provide good options - long runtime and a bit more brightness with the E2L, good runtime and a pocket size with the E1L and a 3.7v rechargeable option with the KX2/E1 configuration. Arguably you could bore the E2 body for a 17670 and use that configuration as well.