Emt from TN

tacoma_09

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. I was lookin around on the internet for a good flashlight and i can into this forum. I started reading and this site really sparked my interest.I work as a emt for the county i live in and also as a firefighter. I had a call last week and i needed a flashlight and the one that was supplied for us doesnt really do its job well(cheapo from walmart). We had a call about 0230 in the morning for a car that went off a embankment and flipped over and a flashlight could have got some good use there that night. So i come to yall for suggestions. I have been looking at the fenix light alot and really like the tk40. But i was just wondering if there was anything better than that for my application. I need a flashlight with good throw and for close in work. We go into certain parts of the town that are pretty shady and sometimes i need to spread a little light on the subject. So tell me what yall think. Yall know flashlights pretty well so help me find a good one. Thanks

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello and welcome. :thumbsup:
As a former EMT and with quite a few friends still in the field, my suggestion would be the EagleTac T20C2. The 300 lumen output is perfect for lighting up the scene down the embankment or the inside of a house (pointed at the ceiling). The lower setting can be used for general lighting and the low setting can provide light for strating an IV without blinding everyone. The strobe......great for those times at the squad building when your partner leasts expects it.:laughing:
It also will fit in pretty much any 1inch flashlight holster that you want to use on a duty belt.

tacoma_09

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is the layout/

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I have no limit!

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

____I don't care.
____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

____I don't care.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
____I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use) ANY OF THESE WILL BE FINE. I WILL BE USING IT ON A DAILY BASIS.

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up
Maybe somwthin with both.

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)
WHATEVER YALL THINK. I CAN RECHARGE A STATION
9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.
____I want a metal-bodied light. EITHER WILL BE FINE
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Waterproof – how deep: _____________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster ANY OF THESE WILL BE FINE
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

tacoma_09

Newly Enlightened
well i guess i will just get the tk. not gettin much info. hope it is a good light

LightCannon

Enlightened
iirc, there were concerns about the TK40's use of many, many AA batteries at once...

I recommend an EagleTac (any of their 2-cell models.) While I do not personally own one, my friend does (P100A2), and I have borrowed it on occasions. Manufacturer rated at 195 lumens on high, and 55 on low. It has good throw, and does it all on AA batteries. Did I mention it's 40 bucks?

All in all, you can't really go wrong with one.

tacoma_09

Newly Enlightened
what would be the best batt to run in my tk40. Sanyo 2700s or something else. i want them to be rechargable? what yall think

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I personally would not lean towards the TK40, due to the number of batteries that it uses.

That said, if you are interested in the TK40, check out the 8-cell Maha charger. There is at least one version that is pretty fast to charge. Not sure what to recommend for cells, I had bad luck with the one pack of Sanyo 2700s that I've got, but my Eneloops have been flawless.

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
For the sake of full disclosure, I'm in a Maglite phase right now.

That said, here are some thoughts:

1. The TK-40 may be overkill for what you're doing. What about a 4-6D cell incan or 2-4D cell LED? Those throw well enough to see down an embankment or light up a room pretty well.

2. The TK-40 is around $150. A 2D or 4D Mag LED is around $30ish?

3. The squad house and field are not the friendliest of environments. How would you feel about a $150 TK-40 getting run over by a squad truck? What about a $30 Mag?

4. If the TK-40 mysteriously stops working, can you fix it? It's a lot easier to troubleshoot and get spare parts for Maglites.

5. As a former EMT myself, one other point. When using a light to check pupil response, only use those lights approved by the medical director in your area. Using a light that is too bright will hurt your pateint.

I'm done doing my Maglite cheerleading dance now. There are also other great lights out there. I'm just trying to point out things to consider so you won't be too heartbroken later.

tacoma_09

Newly Enlightened
Im also a Emt.I use a penlight for pupils and stuff i just wanted somethin for lake calls ans search and rescue type situations. What you think would be a good pocket light? maybe 225 lumen?

Mdinana

Enlightened
As a former EMT, I second having 2 lights, one for pupils specifically.

I use a Pelican M6 - kind of "outdated" tech in that it's 6 years old. But honestly, anything in the 60-100 lumen range would be good. I'd lean towards AA instead of CR123, cuz of the price of replacement batteries.

Personally I like my Pelican, and my Surefires. However, Fenix, Eagletac and probably 4Sevens would all be fine. Poke around the various venders (4sevens.com, batteryjunction.com, etc - see the sponsors) and see what "specs" you like, then check out their reviews. I suggest something with a good throw out to about 50 yards, but at least a hi/low (if you're in a confined space, the high can bounce back pretty good and impair your vision).

I'll leave specific recommendations up to others. These are properties I'd suggest based on some experiences.

ccryder

Newly Enlightened
If you want to try a Tk40 or a Quark AA2 Tactical I have both. I'm over in the Lebanon area. The Tk40 will light up anything you need short of an HID. The AA2 at 200 lumens is very good and will dazzle, especially in strobe mode.

I also have an L2D Q5 at 180 lumens and it works great just doesn't have the throw of the AA2. I've stayed with AA since that's what powers all of my lights and in an emergency, you can get them anywhere.

Later
Neil S.

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
Whatever you get, I would recommend either a warm LED or, at the least, use an incandescent penlight. Cool LEDs are terrible for seeing accurate skin tones when the flashlight is all you have. In 99% of the situations, it won't matter since you will have adequate lighting. The other 1% of the time is when this pays off.

Tom

tacoma_09

Newly Enlightened
hey ccryder im from mcminnville. we pretty close i use to work for a service in leb.