Christmas flashlights, decent cheap AAA?

sawlight

Enlightened
I love the Fenix EO1, but times ten guys in my family, that adds up quick! Nothing really fancy here, single mode, maybe two modes? Ideas/sugestions?

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
Doesn't the E01 cost something like $12? Hard to go much lower than that and have something usable. Maybe this keychain light for 99 cents or this Nano Light for $4.65 (free shipping on orders over $30). If you want the Nano Light, better do it today since they list that price as Cyber Monday special.

Edit: lol... looks like their normal price is $5.00 on the Nano Light. Ten of them will run you $50 at normal price. Great keychain lights.

Disclaimer: I have no association nor affiliation with Lighthound or OpticSale. I am not advertising any product in any way. Guy asked for a cheap flashlight, so this is what I found on Google...

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EO1 is $12.50 at Lighthound.com. If you buy 6 or more, that will put you at or above the $75 mark for free shipping. Coupon code CPF will knock off another 2% (at which point you may need to buy 7 to get free shipping). 7 would cost $85.75 or $12.25 each shipped.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast

balou

Enlightened
I bought this http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14881 light a few months ago. It's a nice AAA light, twisty, with a nice floody beam pattern. I'd say about 20 lumens - gives good runtimes and works well with Alkalines. Oh and the integrated clip is nice too. It's on my keychain at the moment, so it really is my EDC. Nitecore D10 isn't with me every day.

My little cousin already asked if he can have it - will give it to him on christmas (really like that kid - growing flashaholic and nerd, kinda reminds me of myself ;) )

P.S.: to be honest, mine has some cosmetic flaws. The reviewers haven't mentioned anything, and the pictures don't show any flaws, so I guess I got a 'bad' model. Didn't bother returning it - it works, that's what counts for me. You might want to order one extra, just in case. Then you'd also have a nice backup light yourself.

edit: LED is a generic power LED - not a Nichia GS as on the Fenix E01 with its ugly oblong blue hotspot and yellow flood. Yeah, it's cool white, but not as blue as e.g. the DX fauxtons. 10 pieces shipped for 27.70$

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought this http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14881 light a few months ago. It's a nice AAA light, twisty, with a nice floody beam pattern. I'd say about 20 lumens - gives good runtimes and works well with Alkalines. Oh and the integrated clip is nice too. It's on my keychain at the moment, so it really is my EDC. Nitecore D10 isn't with me every day.

+1

I got two of those off eBay for $1 (total!) a little while ago. One was horribly blue, and the other not so bad. Sold as a MXDL AAA 3W

They really are a handy little thing. Mine went through the wash the other night, and survived. It normally lives as a backup in the bottom of my tool kit.

For the price, I don't mind if it gets a little beaten up.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Fenix EO1, but times ten guys in my family, that adds up quick! Nothing really fancy here, single mode, maybe two modes? Ideas/sugestions?

If you are short of money then this is the way to go:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253

They are surprisingly good, I have given away a few and the recipients really like them and actually carry & use them. I have bought enough to provide gifts to everyone at the family Christmas gathering this year.

I recommend that you check out the Maratac AAA, at CountyComm.com. The light sells for about $20, although you'll need to verify 2009 holiday pricing for yourself.

The light has three modes: low (1.5 lm) / medium (25 lm) / high (65 lm)...and if you feed it a 1.5v lithium AAA primary, you'll get about 80 lm on high.
Feed this little light a lithium primary cell and the recipients will be amazed, especially if they are not flashaholicks.

It's relatively stylish, and about the same size as the Fenix AAA lights. The finish is a "natural" brushed aluminum. The clip is removable. The light has the same "twisty" functionality of the Fenix LOD, but without the strobe and SOS modes. It's far brighter than the Fenix E01 (which is fixed at about 10-15 lumens), and almost as bright as the LOD.

The color tint of the light on the three models I've given as gifts is on the warm side of neutral white. Color rendition is good.

The light uses pulse width modulation (approx. 200 Hz) to extend run time in low and medium mode. In normal use this isn't noticeable.

Finally, iTP also manufactures a similar AAA light. (There is a related thread somehwere on CPF about this...comparing the iTP version to the Maratac version.) Either product would be a satisfying stocking stuffer.

Best wishes...

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
Check http://www.dorcydirect.com/c-1-led-flashlights.aspx

(Also see http://www.dorcydirect.com/c-1-led-flashlights.aspx?pagesize=50&list=0&minprice=0.00&maxprice=10.99 -- for cheap lights).

I have a http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-145-41-4224-1aaa-led-flashlight.aspx -- it's not real bright but it's a beautiful litle light and very handy. Dorcy has a %20 holiday sale on too, with free shipping.

Walmart also sell a nice little Rayovac aaa penlight for about $3, and they used to have a good quality Rayovac keychain for about the same, although I didn't see any last time I was there -- they may be switching over to the newer rubberized version. None of these are real bright -- maybe a few lumens -- you probably have to move up to the ITP EOS A3 class for better (about 80 lumens max) at about $20, but just a few lumens is amazingly adaquate in many situations. I use of my little Dorcys (aaa or aa) more than any of the other lights I have. It says "tactical tail switch' but it's really both push button momentary plus twist the cap to stay lit, and the button is such that I can hold the light and just flex my hand to turn it on for a moment, which is deucedly convenient.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
The streamlight microstream is a pretty sweet light, too. You might be able to find it for a dollar or two less than the E01. It has a whiter beam, more output, a forward clickie.