No mistake made

Flic

Enlightened
Re: Lumapower MTE Mentor-Did I make a mistake?

"I think this may be it for me in lights. I am tired of this bull."

So you are giving up on lights because you did not do your homework before you bought. What you wrote about batterries is well known and it has been the case for a long time. No surprises there.

This forum is the perfect place to research all aspects of a product before making a buying decision. And every day members ask for advice from folks who have a wealth of experience. You can always sell your Mentor in the Market Place and replace it with a light that better suits your needs. Chalk this one up to experience.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't give up yet its always a learning experience with lights and sometimes costly mistakes taste very bitter but you probably won't make the same mistake twice.

Just digest it and move on to really researching the next light. Good luck

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened

Unproductive

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Liteskr42 - er we're located in CT - you could have gotten (maybe you did?) your Mentor MT-E and real C batteries from us at the same time. :)

Anyway, I don't know where in CT you are but you'd be hard pressed to be more than a 1hr drive from our warehouse...

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

AW makes IMR C cells;)

They are known as 26500's and are a tad bit thicker than Alkaline C cells, so they may or may not fit the Mentor. The charger I use is made just for these and cost $7 dollars at KD and stops charging them at 4.10V.

The MC-E Mentor has a donut you say? Do you have a beamshoot for us, even if its :green:

Thanks,
bigC

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Liteskr42 - er we're located in CT - you could have gotten (maybe you did?) your Mentor MT-E and real C batteries from us at the same time. :)

Anyway, I don't know where in CT you are but you'd be hard pressed to be more than a 1hr drive from our warehouse...

Well their you go Litekr42 seems like a good source for your battery's and always Mattk coming from nowhere like freaking batman to help out.

He sits atop the city with wide ears listening for trouble. On the real Matt you do a great job following your customers threads and offering assistance thats why I order from you when ever what I'm looking for you have, and also why I always refer CPF members and friends to your site when it applys to their needs or wants. Good looking out

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened

He sits atop the city with wide ears listening for trouble. On the real Matt you do a great job following your customers threads and offering assistance thats why I order from you when ever what I'm looking for you have, and also why I always refer CPF members and friends to your site when it applys to their needs or wants. Good looking out

It's not just you. Batteryjunction is an absolute joy to do business with.

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened

I would like to say thanx to all you guys for trying to help:)

This place is something else, I have never seen anything like this community.

I had no idea Battery junction was in Ct. Go figure. :duh2:

I guess I was ranting a bit and it is more in frustration at myself than anything. You think you have all your bases covered and feel like a chump when you miss something you should have caught.

I see BatteryJunction has very reasonable prices for high capacity C cells which puts thing back into perpective for me.

I had stopped today at another "battery Store" and they wanted $23.50 for 2 Nimh batts. I almost puked in the store!!! To get 2 sets for the Mentor would have been about $72.00 bucks!! Hence the freakout rant thread. Now ith Battery Junction I can keep the cost down
Thanx and looking forward to this light and it will be used as a tool you can bet on that!!

Going to visit batteryJunction now.....:party:

madmook

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, I recently bought some Titanium C6000 batteries from batteryjunction. IMO they're a reasonable price for high capacity C-size nimh batteries.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Reseasch thoroughly before buying. Its a lesson we have ALL learned the hard ($$) way at some point or another. Its an expensive hobby too. Even if you stick with cheap DX/KD lights the equipment, parts and experience needed to get them up and running reliably is a massive hidden cost thats easily 4-5x the cost of the light itself.

No one on the CPF forum has any clue what cells/chargers your local B&M retailers stock on the shelf. Thats where you have to hit the streets and do some shopping.

You might also want to try batteryspace.com. I have had good results with them too.

Good Luck and welcome to the hobby!!

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened

Do you think those Titaniums are really 6000mah?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you think those Titaniums are really 6000mah?

I had the 5000mAh NiMH C cells from Tenergy and they do hold their voltage under load and mAh is very likely. The NiMH 5000mAh I had were like 50% heavier than regular alkalines.

I did have 12000mAh Titanium D cells and I tested my P7 direct drive and it last way over 4 hours in direct drive mode.

bigC

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened

Not to turn this into a battery thread but, would you say they are both quality wise equivalent Bigchelis?

What is everyone using to charge these size batteries. I can only find 1 or 2 universal chargers at BatteryJunction and neither have cell conditioning discharge maintenance features. Do C/D cells get resistance buildup from use like AA Nimh?

Also it seems like when using multiples , like a chain the capacity of a set if batteries is only as good as the weakest one.?

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not to turn this into a battery thread but, would you say they are both quality wise equivalent Bigchelis?

What is everyone using to charge these size batteries. I can only find 1 or 2 universal chargers at BatteryJunction and neither have cell conditioning discharge maintenance features. Do C/D cells get resistance buildup from use like AA Nimh?

Also it seems like when using multiples , like a chain the capacity of a set if batteries is only as good as the weakest one.?

I think the two cells are accurately described in terms of capacity and they certainly offer quality 2nd to none. My P7 builds were 150~200 more OTF lumens with NiMH cells vs. Li-on cells.

Anyhow I have 3 of these chargers for my IMR C cells. It does take 4 hours or so to charge them.
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=2717

I use this charger for my NiMH C and NiMH D cells:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/v1ec-bc2hu.html

I purchased the NiMH C cells and Titanium D cells from battery juction too.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well their you go Litekr42 seems like a good source for your battery's and always Mattk coming from nowhere like freaking batman to help out.

It's not just you. Batteryjunction is an absolute joy to do business with.

LOL - thanks guys! :)

Actually 5 of the 7 universal chargers we offer offer a discharge feature; all but one (the compact) of the smart chargers have discharge. I recommend the MD3000 as the best; the BC1-HU and BC2-HU (the one bigcheis mentioned) are long term value favorites.

The Tenergy cells are an excellent 'value' cell. If you want the best you'll want the Titaniums. We sell both to cover a wider array of price points.

Pretty much all batteries of all chemistries develop increasing internal resistance with increasing load. The larger the cell the more current it can move - and will be rated to deliver. Discharge capabilities are a function of cell capacity(size) and design. For the purposes of this discussion, so as to not overly complicate things with special cell types), your typical NiMh cell will hold voltage and capacty up to about 1C discharge rate (C=capacity) so a 5000mah/5AH C cell, for example, can discharge at a 1C = 5A discharge rate and stay fairly close to spec.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a few of the Titanium 6000mAh cells. They're decent. I usually opt for the AccuPower LSD cells, now, but I've been impressed with how well the Titaniums (C's and D's) hold a charge.

The Powerizer 5000mAh cells from Battery Space are worth considering as well.