Aspheric for my Maglite?

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
Kind of a multipart question since I'm still learning:

1. Where can I get an aspheric lens for my D-size Maglite? I've seen a few websites, but no one seems to have them in stock.

2. Is there anything else I need to buy to accommodate the lens? Does it just replace the plastic lens already there?

3. Does this lens tend to work better with incan or LED? Equally well with both?

TIA

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened
aspheric lens only generally work with LED. it would replace the stock lens.

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
I have an aspheric lens on a 3D Mag and the lens causes the beam to be perfectly square just like the LED is shaped. Out at a distance of say 50 feet or so, the square beam shape is so perfect it's almost unbelievable. I tried it using my incan bulb and it just had a big mis-shapen beam all spread out. But with the LED and stock reflector, it's quite the thrower. If I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes I'd never have believed a flashlight would have a square beam.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Interesting. Why is that?

The work better with LEDs because LEDs project light in 180 degrees. Also, this is not an even 180 degree spread, The center will be brighter then the side of the emitting angle, so more of the light will hit and get focused into the beam. A incan emits light in a 360 degree angle (all the way around), so much less of the light will hit the lens.

Also, the beam pattern with the aspherical lens with the reflector is not too pretty, and partially why most lensed lights don't have a reflector. The reflector will create a "spill" that shows all the texture and defects of the reflector.

You just replace the plastic window of the maglite with the lens and you are good to go. I'd suggest removing the reflector too, but that is more of a personal preference.

Kaidomain has some lenses for sale, DX might also have a compatible one, and there are a few sites online that sell higher quality ones too. You'll need a 50-52mm aspherical lens with a focal length of I think 30-35mm. I don't remember the exact focal length needed though.