RRT-0 17670/18650 Extension?

pobox1475

Enlightened
After enjoying my Raptor 2 for a couple weeks I am having second thoughts about the 0. Initially I thought it is a little heavy and we know the clip sucks. Now since I carry a EDB I wonder if it is possible for JetBeam to machine an additional extension to accommodate larger Li_ion cells to increase it's versatility? As it stands it might be an acceptable EDC in a bag utilizing a 14500 and carrying a Li primary as a back-up. What do you think?

Not Mad...

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I"m confused, do you have the raptor 0 or 2 and why do you not like it?

George

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are different classes of lights and they are meant to be different in size as well.

In my eyes, the Raptor-0 is the small class. It is great that an AA extender (which I didn't order however) is offered and that you can use a NiMh or even a 14500. The light gets slightly longer of course. I'm fine with the CR123A and RCR123, even if a 14500 is supposed to give longer runtimes than the RCR123, I always have enough spares with me to cover my needs.

The Raptor-2 is a bigger light and takes the 18650. It'll give longer runtimes while I don't know about the difference in the beam, as I don't have the RRT-0 yet. While the brightness is about the same nowadays on a lithium based cell, it is only the runtime and the size of the light that make them different.

If Jetbeam would offer an 18650 body for the RRT-0, I would go one step further and tell them they should only offer one light anymore, with different options for the head and the body. Complete lego to say it right, everybody could pick up the options he would like. If they want to stick to different classes however, the AA extender is enough option.

Just my thoughts, european car brands like BMW or Audi have been going the way of different possibilities in each class for a few years now. While you always had model A for the small class, B compact class,C middle-class and D upper class, you currently can have model A even as a break while they also offer D as a coupé and everything in between, complete modulation. So, in terms of space for passengers and/or luggage, the small model in the big variant maybe almost the same as the big model in the small variant, but they are completely different. That would be an RRT-0 with an 18650 and an RRT-1 with an AA. Weird in my eyes, but there are people who want these configurations, up to the manufacturer to find out if the demand is big enough to give it a try...

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the RRT-2 would have been the one I would have gone with, IF it had the super low mode of the 0. How the hell they can, NOT include that is beyond me and is a shame 'cause this thing has more than twice the battery capacity :(

Can someone hack it and give it a super low mode for hundreds of hours runtime?

George

pobox1475

Enlightened
I"m confused, do you have the raptor 0 or 2 and why do you not like it?
I have the 2 and do like it a lot. I initially did not care for the 0 because of it's bulk. After using the selector ring I have second thoughts about it as a bag light and simply feel if another extension was possible in the future to utilize larger Li-Ion's it would add to it's usefulness.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so do you HAVE the 0 now or would you buy it IF you could get an extender?

GEorge

pobox1475

Enlightened
I may get one after the holidays to carry in my bag. If an additional extender comes out that will be an added bonus.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've ordered one and as soon as I get it and IF I remember, I'll post my opinion here. Won't be anything lengthy but just a quick opinion.

joshth09

Newly Enlightened
Possible or not...18650 extension for RRT-0

Would this even be a possibility? Or, would it for some reason in some way be not compatable?

To me this would make it the one stop all around most badass light ever!

I dont know ANYTHING about batteries and circuitry....but Jetbeam...if it can be done....PLEASE do it!

Ya'll agree?

Man this little thing is a killer light.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Possible or not...18650 extension for RRT-0

I really have loved my RRT-0. It's been my EDC for about a year now and it is by for my most used light (and I have a lot of favorites now haha). It's also never even given me as much as a hickup. With so many new and smaller EDCs now available, I would love the ability to have this as an 18650 light as well. So many great modders and machinists now out there working on lights, I know this can be done. In fact I just came across a thread where they made extensions for the titanium version of the RRT-01. So, what about it? Any takers? And yes, price is a factor for me. I don't know that it makes sense to spend a $100 to get an extender when I could just buy a whole new 18650 light with a control ring.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

I really have loved my RRT-0. It's been my EDC for about a year now and it is by for my most used light (and I have a lot of favorites now haha). It's also never even given me as much as a hickup. With so many new and smaller EDCs now available, I would love the ability to have this as an 18650 light as well. So many great modders and machinists now out there working on lights, I know this can be done. In fact I just came across a thread where they made extensions for the titanium version of the RRT-01. So, what about it? Any takers? And yes, price is a factor for me. I don't know that it makes sense to spend a $100 to get an extender when I could just buy a whole new 18650 light with a control ring.
Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Bueller? :laughing:

aau007

Enlightened

I don't believe you can do 18650 in the rrt0.

Forget about the tube for now. If you look at the head of the rrt0, the 18650 won't even fit thru the opening to make contact with the positive end. Then even if you can bore out the inside to make the 18650 go in, you will weaken the metal around the thread on the head. Now you have to custom make a tube so thin that it will house the 18650 AND be able to thread into the head. By this time, your time and money will be better off going to a true 18650 light with control ring like the rrt21. Illumination Supply had them on sale for $68.50 but is now all gone. Or I think I saw a Sunwayman over at cpfmp at a reasonable price.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't believe you can do 18650 in the rrt0.

Forget about the tube for now. If you look at the head of the rrt0, the 18650 won't even fit thru the opening to make contact with the positive end. Then even if you can bore out the inside to make the 18650 go in, you will weaken the metal around the thread on the head. Now you have to custom make a tube so thin that it will house the 18650 AND be able to thread into the head. By this time, your time and money will be better off going to a true 18650 light with control ring like the rrt21. Illumination Supply had them on sale for $68.50 but is now all gone. Or I think I saw a Sunwayman over at cpfmp at a reasonable price.
You are absolutely right. Even with the extension it wouldn't fit. Hadn't thought about that. Thanks!

aau007

Enlightened

Furthermore, the inside diameter of the new rrt0-xml tube is made smaller (about 1mm) than the older rrt0. Therefore, fitting a 17670 inside the tube might even be a problem, even if someone would make a 17670 extension tube.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

TWO AA extensions combined with the body should get you the length to run a 14670 but all three pieces will need to be bored out to fit a 17670 or 18650.

Latest posts