Imalent        
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotlips-C and D heatsinks. ALL AVAILABLE

Flashaholic

Default Re: Premium Heatsinks for the Mag.

[ QUOTE ]
    hotbeam said:
    lildave: You could use aluminium foil wrapped around the sides of the Hotlips as per the pic. Use as much foil as you need to make the fit tight and/or removeable, if you want to be able to remove it later. Epoxy is obviously permanent. Also smear some thermal grease along the side of the Hotlips near the lips themselves. Another tip is to lightly sand off the anodising on the rim of the Mag to allow more contact between the lips and the Mag. Everything little bit helps [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Foil? Ahem.... What would you think of making the next batch (if there ever is one) have a tighter fit, with no play whatsoever, so as you have to apply some force to push it in, and it will stay in, w/o epoxy? I feel that would offer better heat conductivity to the flashlight body (not that that's an issue anyway, not by a long stretch) but it also increases convenience. You would never have to epoxy it in; just AS grease would suffice.

lildave: I think set screws would be detrimental to the heat conductivity, as they would push the flashlight body away from the heatsink.

Thanks.

Yes, the next batch (if there will ever be one) will be much tighter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] With a smaller OD, at least you can use readily available material to pad it out. If the Hotlips has a larger OD than that of the body, then you'd have to get out the dremel. Also if you measure the ID of the body, at different opposing positions, you will find that it differs by 0.1 or 0.2mm or more. Can't win either way. Having said all that, the next batch will have a larger OD. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

**EDIT. Also couple that with possible difference in ID of the same light! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Does this mean there are no more "D's" available?

No, there is still a small quantity available.

Flashaholic

Hi Hotbeam,
    I've got a couple Mag 3D lights that are begging to be changed into something more useful. However, I'm not terribly handy (adding a dimmer switch to my son's room - with the help of a 15-minute call to my much-handier brother - is about the limit of my skill). So my questions:
    1: Do you have any more D-size Hotlips in Configuration 2?
    2: Seeing my skillset resume, would I be biting off too much to try putting this together myself?
    3: Do you have a set of instructions for doing the Configuration 2 with tool/supplies list and (hopefully) pictures?
    Thanks for putting up with the questions of a noob.
    Dave

Hello DaveT

Yes, I have a few Conf #2 sitting here. One can be yours if you want it.

I believe there are some posting on modding the switching mechanism on one of the following threads:
    This one or this one.

Failing that, let me (and others) know where you are stuck on and help will be on its way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

I forgot the time zone difference... I sent a PayPal order about six hours ago (jpm1680). Registered with CPF while I was at it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

email sent

Allen

Flashaholic

Others have made heatsinks that required them to be cooled in the freezer to make them slightly smaller before installing. Once they warmup to room temp they would be tight without glue. Just a thought, I've never tried it.

LEDependent: Got your PP. In the mail today. Also replied to your emails. I know who you are now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

AllenInHoustan: Em replied. The answer is yes and yes.

MenaceSQL, got your email but cannot reply back to you. Looks like a mailserver timeout problem. Your goodies will be on its way to you tomorrow. Look out for it ~ next Thurs/Friday.

ace749069, received your email and the goodies will be on their way to you tomorrow.

Thanks hotbeam. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

My stock of the Hotlips D have depleted. Are there any new takers to make the decision for me to do another run easier? Oh, the new Hotlips D will also be a tigher fit, 34.6mm as opposed to the current 34mm.

Just for bookkeeping, at hotbeam's request, I have placed a pre-order for one bare hotlips heatsink (config. #1).

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
    hotbeam said:
    ... Oh, the new Hotlips D will also be a tigher fit, 34.6mm as opposed to the current 34mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance of making the centering "pestdal" into a sunken depression? (say 1mm deep) I figure that might make centering a LS much easier.

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
    hotbeam said:
    My stock of the Hotlips D have depleted. Are there any new takers to make the decision for me to do another run easier? Oh, the new Hotlips D will also be a tigher fit, 34.6mm as opposed to the current 34mm.

[/ QUOTE ]Hey, I just got my HotLips D in the mail yesterday. Thanks, it's great!! I'd be interested in another also. A tighter fit would be great, and so would a recessed lip around the emitter!

Flashaholic

I third the motion of recessing, rather than protruding, the centering guide. I've already done a less-then-perfect centering job on a protruding centering guide like this one.

Note that at this time I'm only looking to buy a couple C size, not D; I don't want to leave you with the impression that I make all kinds of change requests on the D's just to be a pain [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd love to see tight fitting C's with recessed centering guides, but I'll take them however you make them. Thanks.

one of the reasons we didn't do a recess when we were working on the hotlips, is because it's harder to solder the wires. since they leads are closer to the metal, it is much more prone to shorting.

Hotbeam -- If you do end up having another batch of the 'D' sized heatsinks made, I'd be in for another one. I'm very pleased with the one I bought earlier and I'm looking to make a Cyan 5W mod sometime in the future. (whenever finances allow)

Lucien, LEDependent and Kill-O-Zap
    As per Rothrandir's response, that's why we went for the raised version. A tip to help centering: only use a very small amount of epoxy between the emitter slug and the pedestal. When you hold down the emitter, if there is excess epoxy coming out from under the slug, you have used too much epoxy. Remember, a thin layer is better than a thick layer.

LukeK
    Thanks for your pre-order Luke. Please check the post often for updates to the next run.

Flashaholic

So, have you decided to do another run of the (slightly larger) D's? I like the idea of swapping colors by plunking in a different HotLips... I'm planning on purchasing two more from you for this reason.

we would like to do another run, if we can get enough numbers that is.

the design would be slightly improved also, with a sledgehammer fit and larger wire holes [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

Eh, I'm fine with the current wire holes. Makes for a neater job.

Do you have any kind of expectation as to when pre orders will (or will not) be accepted? I'm looking forward to these!

Very close LEDependent. Waiting for new prototypes to arrive from the CNC shop and if everything is good, then a high high chance to proceed. Also new orders would make the decision easier [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Out of curiosity Hotbeam -- how much does it cost to have a prototype made?

Default Re: *Announcing* premium \"Hotlips\" heatsinks

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

Where can I buy emitters and boards for these heatsinks?

Regads,
    David

www.elektrolumens.com
    http://www.anlighten.com/shop/default.php

The above are two of my favorite online stores -- both are run by great owners who will work to get you what you want. For the record -- the second store's servers seem to encounter down time sometimes. If you get a 'Cannot find server' error or whatever, then just try again later.

Default Re: *Announcing* premium

I'm in for a configuration 1 or 2, D size Hotlips.

Thanks Luke!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Regards,
    David

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast