Klarus        
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotlips-C and D heatsinks. ALL AVAILABLE

Default Re: Premium Hotlips-C/D heatsinks... **NOW IN STOC

Meatman... Try this link, this link or this link

Flashaholic

Hotbeam: Hotlips have arrived and it fits perfect! Thanx!

Now I'll only have to wait for my UCL lens and new m@g-reflector [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Hotbeam, received my second order of Hotlips. thanx again. talk to ya soon for some more.

Paypal sent for three more Hotlips-C. Thanks.

Menace... TY. PP rcvd. ETA USA 7/12/03.

All... Thanks for running the stocks of the Hotlips-D down guys. Before you Paypal in future, please PM me first to see if I have any left. Thanks again. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What would the ETA be for the Hotlips-D?

EB, MC, JC, WC and DM... your orders just left. Please look out for it in ~1wk. Thanks.

Flashaholic

Got my Hotlips yesterday! Thanks Hotbeam [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Got my Hotlips yesterday. Thanks HT. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

me as well just to let you know. Received yesturday.
    Appreciate it.

Postage now may take a bit longer. As you know... the silly season is upon us [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

New stocks of Hotlips-D just arrived for Christmas [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Unenlightened

Hotbeam, Hotlips-D arrived, thanks much [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] HaPpy Holidays!

Not sure how I missed this thread. Are these still available?

Flashaholic

Say hotbeam, ever thought of having the Hotlips annodized? For jobs where the LS slug needs to be electrically isolated, that would make the mod even easier to do.

You know Lucien... would people pay that extra for purple, blue, green, red, orange Hotlips? Show of hands please... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

why would it need to be isolated?

the inside of the light is annodyzed, so that isn't a problem.
    the only way i could see it might be a problem is if the bulb-holder touched the heatsink. this can be easily avoided though i think.

personally, i would rather not have annodization...

yep, annodization is not really necessary. for blue, green or even white lux, the base is ground, so it really is no problem in attaching the lux to heatsink. Also, would annodization makes the heat properties of the heatsink somehow degrades?

Except for red and amber (right?), anodosation would be more cosmetic than anything.

yep, red, amber and orange (wait, i think red = red orange?) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

yes, the red, red/orange, and amber ones do require electrical isolation, but that is already being provided by the annodyzing on the maglite.
    i suppose it's possible for the bulb post to touch the bottom of the heatsink, but that should be pretty easy to fix anyway.

Well, depending the colour of the OA body, eg. black, you may need to sand the ID of the OA (thus grounding the Hotlips) before fitting the Hotlips as it is too tight. On say a blue or red OA, no sanding is required and your premise holds true [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Flashaholic*

Yes I agree, anodizing is mainly for cosmetics and is not really necessary. It'll just add to the costs. A fix for the bulb post contact issue is very simple although I always completely remove it anyways.

But hey if it happens, I may take a couple depending on what colors are offered.

Flashaholic

Actually I was thinking, with a DownBoy converter, a white LS has to be isolated from ground and +ve - so it wouldn't be just for red, orange, etc, coloured LS.

I don't think annodizing adds much in the way of thermal resistance - most of the heatsinks I've seen for electronics use are annodized black, with only a few as bare Al. At any rate I figure it can't be worse than a insulating layer of AA - for heatsinking CPUs, the layer of thermal paste needs to be as thin as possible for maximum heat transfer.

It's all mostly just a thought though. I've still got an unused Hotlips on my desk here that I haven't quite figured out what to do with. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I guess it'd be a show of hands thing to see if it'd even be worth the extra cost.

Flashaholic*

Hi Guys,
    Would you have any really bright 5 watt SEs hanging around? I think the hot lips are a great platform for something like this and I've been thinking of a 5W SE as my first five watt mod. This might help explain what I have in mind a little better.

[ QUOTE ]
    Wylie said:
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif[/img]
    Just out of curiosity if you folks would be so kind I would like to know what would be the brightest of any color SE 5W L/S? I have a plug in problem with downloading PDF files or I might be able to get the answer for myself, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img] although the color differences and lumen outputs could also be deceiving from what I have seen. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]
    I have just seen a side emitting L/S in a Mag reflector and I am very happy with the beam as it has REALLY GREAT THROW!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]I rigged up 3 123s behind an EverLed and ran it with just very little real visible difference although it was brighter then I have been running them off four Nimhs. The reason I ask is I may have a 2 C Mag carcass left over from a more versatile modification I have started work on. I may just 3 x 123 a five watt in the left over Mag 2 C carcass for my first 5W. Iím thinking a hotlips C would fit the order pretty well but donít know what kind of run time will come from the amperage at hand. I'm thinking like maybe an hour of good light and then less for another couple? Well itís just a thought at this time so if any of you may be able to help out here chime in please.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wylie, the brightest 5w SE I have heard about was the PK1. That was the one PK from Surefire built and donated to the CPF for that HUGE auction.

Yeah, the SE in a OA reflector gives great flood and a good hotspot for throw! WRT to runtime, this thread on the MR-X will shed some light. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Thanks Hotbeam,
    I have scimmed or read most of this thread now and I did take a look at the auction while it was going on. I'd have to say that PK1 is a real retina burner but more then a little rich for my blood yet very interesting.
    Through what I have read it seems as though I have limited myself with the use of a 2 C cell body as I only really have the 3x123 configuration avalible to work with until Pila makes me some C cell aluminum scolders. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] Six AAAs I would consider to be kind of lame so I am counting that one out.
    On sight the SE emitter in the Mag sold me on this type of build but a D cell even in a 2 cell form is just larger then I like to pack into a tackle bag and as this will be a carcass fodder mod it's likely to be sold, gifted or set to gather dust as I am a very froogle person and like my rechargeables very much. The 4000 mah C cells I have on the way wouldn't do much for run time on the best of converters as I see it so what would you think would be the most viable configuration for a C cell body Mag with a 5W SE? I imagine I would BE best off to leave this up to you as I am more into the machanical end of things then the calcs with this D/C stuff.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Throw your best at me, let me see what you got! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

For a 2C body and a 5w LS, 3 x 123 and a driver similar to the MR would do reasonably well. At $1 ea for the 123s, its not too bad.

With 2 x C NiMhs at a total of ~2.4v, you'd be hard pressed to find a boost capable of putting any decent current to the LS.

That's why we went the D path for the MR-X! Availability of different kinds of batteries and a larger body means you have just about as much flexibility as you need.

Have I given you anymore than you already know? I don't think so [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]. Let's see what comes from the Pila camp. 3.6v C-sized Li-ions would be nice!!!

I suspect shipment timing will be back to normal now. JS, your order will be posted tomorrow. Thanks for waiting.

Flashaholic

Will you be making any with stars/emitters in the near future?

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast