Great gift ideas for christmas

gollum

Enlightened
So as usual its always hard to get the right gift for everyone

including myself ... I usually end up telling anyone don't get me anything save your money for the sales etc...

I am getting some vibram five finger KSO treks for myself...after reading the post on them here in the cafe...cheers Led Obsession

SO who has any great ideas for gifts etc

I thought of a few things

Ice shot Glass moulds ... these are cheap little fun freezer mould to make shot glasses for quick shots ... they dont last long here in Australia especially in summer time

Got my dad a nice bottle of single malt whiskey

Mum gets a nice enamelled broach of a cute gecko with gemstone eyes

please share your great ideas here everyone ...surely somebody has thought of some awesome ideas...

cheers and Merry Christmas:twothumbs

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
L.E.D. bedroom slippers / with Hi-beams .....of course !

Can you MOD the vibram five finger's with MC-E's ? ..... Ankle battery packs anyone ?

Last edited:

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
Some thoughts, maybe boring but here they are:
  • Smoke detectors with dual sensors (photoelectric and ionizataion).
  • Wine. I remember one Christmas day on which I left the house for multiple stops with about 5 bottles and a single pie (for dinner at the last stop). Fortunately I did not get stuck in the snow.
  • Flashlights! I sometimes give away a lightly used light.
  • Your family history. I have been working on ours and can reach back much further than we thought. I hope to have something I can give out at Christmas.
  • Pet Rocks......to be placed next to the Chia Pet.
Merry Christmas!

oronocova

Enlightened
For dad I got him a .50cal muzzleloader BoreSnake kit. The BoreSnake brands are pretty expensive but I found a copy called "knock out" online which is about half the price. I got mine free shipping on amazon. So he's getting the BoreSnake kit and two of the knock out cleaners. If you have someone who think's it's a pain to clean a gun this is a great gift. Dip it in some Hoppes, 1 or 2 swipes, mirror shine.

My brother in law likes to camp but doesn't really carry a good knife. I got him a Mora All Around. Mora makes Great Great knives and if he destroys it he won't have thrown away a lot of money. $18 bucks for this one!

Guy at our flea market sells name brand, 80% wool blend socks ("cosmetic defects") for probably 1/3 or 1/4 retail price. Everybody is getting some of those.

LightCannon

Enlightened
I'm considering getting a few orders of the DX Fauxtons to pass out to my non-flashaholic friends.

Too bad I can't order stuff off the internet yet.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
odd ideas cant call any of my ideas great.. hah..

i bought from blacksmith hand made wallhooks to hang clothes from.. along with hand hammered nails to attach them. (got 15 pieces.. 5 per person/household)

same blacksmith also made couple beerbottle openers from old railway nails. (gonna give them to my buddies if they hand me a gift even if we have a pact not to buy anything)

i was thinking about making couple knives myself for xmas.. well.. buy pre-made blades and then make the handles etc. (but dont have enough time to make them) a good all round knife like the previously suggested Mora is always a good choice.

or maintenance tools like sharpening stones or diamonds.

and japanese kitchen knives for the ladies. (or cooking fanatics) these should beat normal dreaded lame cookware gifts like frying pans. (generally they are considered as bad presents but i think something custom made and specialized stuff as these should be considered ok)

silk scarves and warm fuzzy mohair scarves are always liked presents.

leather belts or suspenders are good choice to some of the guys. (my dad wants one every year.. and so do i.. hah)

for the elderly folk.. especialy those living in colder climates.. mohair or similar warming shoulder warmer vest (that one can wear under shirts) helps with neck aches etc.

nice calendar with pretty pictures might be thoughtful present ..and those day organizer things to people with too much to do and too little time.

people that like to tinker with cars etc might like mechanixs gloves with built in led light. or set of quality tools. or specialized tool they might not own.. timing light, torquewrench, drill bit resharpener, tap and die thread cutting set, helicoil screw inserts, grabit screw remover kit or similar, oilsuction gun, brake bleeder kit that one can use alone..

general tv remote.. control all devices with one remote.. i love mine to bits! hah.

oh and always you can give some flashlights.. itp eos would be my current favorite to give. either the aaa or the aa version.

some of these ideas i will use this year. some are things i want for myself and will start to hint other people.. hah.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you know someone who is an avid reader, Barnes & Nobles sells some interesting book-ends. Just there tonight, picking up a couple of novels to keep me company during my breaks at work. Near the registers they had classic style book-ends, matching animal book-ends, and a set that consisted of a chess rook & knight.

Those last pieces look good on their own. Not just book-ends but brass sculptures. Folks who enjoy chess tend to be well read.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of my "green" friends will be getting Eneloop or Duraloop AA batteries & charger. I really like these batteries and think that not many people in the general population know how good they are.

Last edited: