ITP A3 EOS 3 stage model got washed and dryed by mother

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Okay, okay not really mad about this as it isn't a super expensive light, but it is I think a pretty awesome spare to keep. Also for the record my mother doesn't do my laundry, she was just trying to be the awesome mother she is and do my laundry while I was over for thanksgiving.

all that aside, is there anything that can be done in this situation. It will not turn on at all and I have tryed air drying it and different batteries.

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
Try drying it out for a few days. Open it up, remove the battery and set it in a sunny window for a few days. That should drive out any mosture unless cold air coming off the window prevents the light from getting warm from the sun.

Another approach is to set the oven between 150F to 180F and "bake" the light for 4 or 5 hours. Let it cool for 30 minutes before assembling and testing. Use a candy thermometer to double check the oven is under 200F or you may damage the light.

how2

Enlightened
Hi

Take out the battery, then wash it in distilled water.

Leave it to dry out in the sunlight.

It may take a week.

greenLED

Flashaholic
...well, that's disappointing! IMO, all "regular" lights discussed on CPF should be able to withstand a dunk through the washer/dryer cycle.

Might want to try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
...well, that's disappointing! IMO, all "regular" lights discussed on CPF should be able to withstand a dunk through the washer/dryer cycle.

Might want to try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser.

It wouldn't take much for the head to un twist past the O-ring on these during the washer cycle.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope it works out for you!

Funny thing, this is the first "flashlight thru the wash/dryer" thread that I've seen where the flashlight didn't work afterwards..

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
I haven't tried it, but I've heard of folks immersing electronics in rubbing alcohol (the 99% variety) to displace any water that's stuck inside. I guess the alcohol itself dries quickly and does not damage the components. I hope it is clear that this is just hearsay and not any sort of endorsement :)

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have thus far let it sit in Rubbing alcohol for about 20mins and then have left it sitting in a bag of rice for a day now. After testing today, nothing yet :shakehead Oh well, I will let it sit for a while longer.

greenLED

Flashaholic
ionized, at this point, it doesn't matter how much longer you leave it in there, won't make a difference.

My guess is that something else is going on with the light. Try cleaning the contacts. If that doesn't work, maybe one of the components inside the light broke... try opening the light to diagnose.

MKLight

Enlightened
I haven't tried it, but I've heard of folks immersing electronics in rubbing alcohol (the 99% variety) to displace any water that's stuck inside. I guess the alcohol itself dries quickly and does not damage the components. I hope it is clear that this is just hearsay and not any sort of endorsement :)

I just had 91% alcohol in the head of my Illuminati (essentially the same light). It dried with a haze on the reflector and residue on the circumference of the lens. It is disappointing...although the light works fine and doesn't seem to have lost anything in terms of functionality.

Good luck. I hope your light starts to work.

pobox1475

Enlightened
set the oven between 150F to 180F and "bake" the light for 4 or 5 hours.
That is a no-no IMHO. Blow dryer, oven and most any other method of non natural heating even at a low 150 deg temperature will super heat the internals. The hot water molecules have no where to go fast and will often do more harm than good. A simple fan pointed directly at item will usually move enough air in a few hours to dry out.

Elliot

Newly Enlightened
I don't think the wash was the problem. The highest temperature inside a dryer can range anywhere from 175F to 400F (if the vent is clogged).

Next time you visit make your Mom hang your flashlight filled pants on the clothes-line to dry out.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I tinker with watches quite a bit and any time I've gotten moisture in one, I take off the back and put the watch in a sealed tupperware container with a packet of silica gel. After a few days, they are bone dry inside. You can usually find small packets of silica gel packed with electronic products and such.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
good opportunity to learn how to take a flashlight apart.

sit down with some tools and take it apart completely

cean and dry and test everything

put it back together and :candle:

should take less then an hour and be educational and fun. :twothumbs

dandism

Enlightened

The iTP is a pain to take apart... huge pain.

ionizedsky

Enlightened

Well I am feeling encouraged.

The iTP is a pain to take apart... huge pain.

Oopps just lost it :D

Well since you seem to already know it is a pain in the butt. How about some guidance on how you got the Light engine out of the head:poke:

dandism

Enlightened
Well I am feeling encouraged.

Oopps just lost it :D

Well since you seem to already know it is a pain in the butt. How about some guidance on how you got the Light engine out of the head:poke:
I only got it out after ripping the battery contact board out with the wires. I got the rest of it out after a couple hours of struggling some drill bits to use as pins to unscrew the LE. It was a ton of work and I ended up crushing the head a little. This was with a one mode, I can only imagine the 3-mode has more stuff in their to further complicate removal.

good luck ;)

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened
Now, back to this Mom washing my clothes part.:shrug:

So, you go over for Thanxgiving dinner and you have to strip the clothes off your back so Mom can wash them? Please tell me you didnt have to sit at the table in one of Moms bathrobes for dessert whilest your underoos were in the dryer?:crackup:

My suggestion next time wear dry clean only clothes , a suit perhaps?:thumbsup:

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Now, back to this Mom washing my clothes part.:shrug:

So, you go over for Thanxgiving dinner and you have to strip the clothes off your back so Mom can wash them? Please tell me you didnt have to sit at the table in one of Moms bathrobes for dessert whilest your underoos were in the dryer?:crackup:

My suggestion next time wear dry clean only clothes , a suit perhaps?:thumbsup:

Only 21 posts and already cracking jokes :welcome: