is 4Sevens really all it's cracked up to be???

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAP

Newly Enlightened
i keep seeing more and more posts about 47s lights and parts not working properly and i'm really starting to wonder...
i own three 47s lights plus other body parts awaiting arrival of heads or bodies,and have had problems/issues with all of them. from switches needing to be removed and fully serviced, crappy o-rings that break the first time you tighten a tail/head on to them, filthy threads with machining debris still in them, new lights that stink like oil and grease and covered in it, the belt clip retaining ring that jingles and spins around unless loctite'd... and these are just MY problems.

once working, the lights seem to operate ok, but the final fit and finish is lacking compared to others and i find the UI of both the Tactical and Standard to be nothing special, if a bit lacking.

if i bought one of these lights from DX for even 2/3s the price i think i would be satisfied, but its the fact that 47s is here all day long, and advertises that they have been "..listening to you for the past 4 years.." that bugs me. all the little stuff that people complain about (me included) that they claim to have been 'listening to' is still not right. theres even an entire thread dedicated to their design of the clip - ok, well the clip works fine, but what about the retaining ring that just spins around and makes noise unless glued shut or cranked down with pliers?? sure its an easy fix, but why should anyone have to do it? its just like re-lubing and tightening the tailcap guts or cleaning out the threads, or replacing o-rings upon arrival... easy enough to do, but thats the stuff we all b**** about.

i love all the variety that they have brought to the table for us, and their CS is really terrific, but at the end of the day i think i'd rather see half of what they offer and just get a new in the box Quark that performs flawlessly.

oh, and can i get a store credit if a mail back the stock pile of holsters, lanyards and rubber finger thingies??:thinking:

Marduke

Flashaholic
FYI, I know you are knew and all, but ALL lights need cleaned and lubed upon arrival, no matter the brand or price.

Also, put one of the spare o-rings under the clip retaining ring when the clip is not used. Kinda common sense...

KAP

Newly Enlightened
FYI, I know you are knew and all, but ALL lights need cleaned and lubed upon arrival, no matter the brand or price.

Also, put one of the spare o-rings under the clip retaining ring when the clip is not used. Kinda common sense...
yeah. thanks for proving my point.
try reading it again.

koolranch

Newly Enlightened
WellI hope not! I just placed my first order with them. Have you tried to work things out with them? I have heard more good than bad.

007Runner

Banned

That is not true at all. My first quality flashlight was a Surefire E1B.
When I unscrewed the switch and the Led assembly. I found that the threads were spotless. The O rings had lubrication on them. There was nothing for me to do except to screw it back together and enjoy the light.

Last edited:

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
I've got a pretty decent little collection of 4Sevens lights and short of having to remove a very small burr from one of the body threads on a Ti Quark, mine have all been in wonderful condition with no fit and finish issues and have required no work on my part to yield them totally reliable with regard to functionality.

... just thought I'd share my experience.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I have three Quark flashlights, and other than one bad clicky switch that was quickly replaced, I've had no problems with them. My Quark 123 R2 has been my EDC since it came out, and I've liked it enough to buy a Quark 123 R5 to replace it.

As with you, KAP, for me quality right out of the box is way more important than variety.

BVH

Flashaholic
I have had many lights from many vendors over my 5-year "habit" and the vast majority of them have arrived clean with no physical defects and functioning perfectly.

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I have experienced flaws in the circuits of the ones I've tried, but the overall quality and design more than makes up for it, for me that is.

They way I see it, they are new to the market when it comes to manufacturing flashlights, and they have to work out a few problems. I think most buyers don't get any problems, and few get minor problems (like me). I'll be supporting 4sevens for all their excellent, up-to-date products.

You're right though, you shouldn't have to perform any service on a brand new flashlight.

Phantom502

Newly Enlightened

That's interesting. I would have never guessed you had to remove factory lube out of a $50 plus light and add your own lube. Kinda makes ya wonder why they would put inferior lube in to begin with.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my .02....I've been pretty pleased, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I have not cleaned or lubed any of the 3 I own.

:eek:

I've purchased 5 overall, but sold one redundant 123.2 and gave one to my brother. I have custom lights, Surefires, Jetbeam, Novatac, Olight and Nitecore in my collection and honestly, my Quarks have been right up to expectation.

Still, I agree - you wouldn't think you'd have to deal with that many issues. Good luck - I think the 4Sevens people really do want to make things right.

gtwace

Enlightened
47 makes good lights, but it is still budget lights, so it is ok to have some small issues. u get what u paid for.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
One thing to add: My Quarks have all come clean and well-lubricated, with good action right out of the box. That includes my 123^2 Ti R5.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
It's funny seeing people who rip EagleTAC up and down for so called quality issues now making excuses for 4Sevens. You know who you are.

CPF's curmudgeon-in-chief

47 makes good lights, but it is still budget lights, so it is ok to have some small issues. u get what u paid for.

Just when I think I start to understand I realize I don't. I thought $60+ for a 200ish lumen light was considered "high end", not "budget". What exactly is the unwritten rule for where "high end" starts?

IceRat

Newly Enlightened
I have a few 47's lights along with many other brands. I haven't had any problems with any of my Quarks. I have been using the Quark AA a lot since I got it and it works great for me. If you look at all of the little details they can do, from different batteries to mixes levels, I think they are the best light that I have found. I usually will not spend over $100 on a light because I loose them frequently.
I just sold all of my Fenix lights to people I work with because I don't use them anymore.

Marduke

Flashaholic
It's funny seeing people who rip EagleTAC up and down for so called quality issues now making excuses for 4Sevens. You know who you are.

CPF's curmudgeon-in-chief

My biggest beef with ET was/is unethical business practices. Their high return rate is secondary...

wesinator

Newly Enlightened
I'd say 4sevens lights aren't of the highest quality around, but they are the close to the highest quality in their price range. Compared to Fenix and eagletac etc. they have many improvements. I'de consider 4sevens t be the best quality for the lowest price, and they are working hard to increase their quality. they have no off center emitters and they are now making sure that they test their light extensively before releasing them, which is what they are doing with the new maelstrom.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just when I think I start to understand I realize I don't. I thought $60+ for a 200ish lumen light was considered "high end", not "budget". What exactly is the unwritten rule for where "high end" starts?

Perhaps it is more clear if you make the attempt at actually building some yourself. Take any flashlight you like, sit down with a piece of paper and sketch up each part that is in it. Now estimate the price of each part - never mind working the details. If you can honestly build 100 each lights for under $ 100/ each of parts, you are doing very well. Frankly, it isn't all that easy - I know - I have been there, done that.

If that isn't exciting enough, imagine that building the light took at least some engineering effort, building multiple one- off protos, testing, etc. Then there is the excitement of self funding a run of lights, hoping you got it all right.

Try just upgrading a light from much under $100 - it is easier now, since LED and optic pricing is just a fraction of what it was 5 years ago, but lets face it, how well do you think driver electronics are built that sell at those price
points?

I don't own any of the lights under question so I have no comment on that aspect - just pointing out the reality of building lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.