Best cheap SSC P7: Aurora, MTE, Ultrafire, etc...?

Joshz

Newly Enlightened
So I am going to order an SSC P7 900 lumen light. I know they aren't 900 lumens, so don't even start on that - but they are very bright. My question is what is the best quality cheap brand to buy? I have seen Aurora, MTE, Ultrafire, Spiderfire, XTAR, Trustfire, and I am sure there are many more. I have owned an Aurora and it was not bad. I also owned an MTE and found the build quality to suck. I am not sure if these were just one offs, or if that is how those brands usually are. Does anyone have their favorite cheap brand?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
No replies so I'll take a stab...

The MTE 2 mode at DX did ~450L OTF in the sphere of torture. but it dropped rapidly to ~390 IIRC, as the light warmed up a bit.

I think your best bet would be a 3D or 3C mag, direct drive with NiMH cells. Most of those DX lights are DD anyways, but a mag host will provide better thermal cooling for the LED, longer run times than a 1x18650 light... and some degree of reliability.

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
I agree, the mte 2 mode c bin is the best p7 cheapy you can by out there. I have purchased about 10 for myself and friend and they are all still working. I have my first one since nov of 2008 and still works like a champ. My ultrafire and aurora's have both had problems and required some form of modification.

cccpull

Enlightened
So I am going to order an SSC P7 900 lumen light. I know they aren't 900 lumens, so don't even start on that - but they are very bright. My question is what is the best quality cheap brand to buy? I have seen Aurora, MTE, Ultrafire, Spiderfire, XTAR, Trustfire, and I am sure there are many more. I have owned an Aurora and it was not bad. I also owned an MTE and found the build quality to suck. I am not sure if these were just one offs, or if that is how those brands usually are. Does anyone have their favorite cheap brand?

I have an MTE M3-2, I purchased on e-bay from the importer in Colorado and had it in Florida in 3 days. The light is 5-mode, runs on 2 rcr123, and it's really bright. The quality was very good, too. No defects at all, everything worked as it should.
I'm very happy with my purchase and think I got a good deal, got the light, plus charger and 4 rcr123's for $58, which included Priority USPS. He usually has several different MTE's up for sale on Ebay, but also has a website.

On the other hand I just also got a new Maglite 2D (I'll be getting a 3D soon) with the newer Luxeon Rebel and I'm also very happy with it, at $15 at the Lowes sale, it was also a good deal. These new Maglites are really bright, if you're okay with their size, you should check them out. Costco has the 3D/2AA combo package on sale now for $25. Good luck.

Last edited:

shortstack

Enlightened
i have the aurora ak-p7-3 for almost a year now, work goods every once in a while the clicky wont work until i click it on/off a few times.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If the choice is between an Ultrafire flashlight or a box of rocks ... You're going to be better off with the box.

Joshz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. I think I may give MTE one more try.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
mg-pli from shining beam. $60 good quality 500+ lumens. 3 modes.