Anyone know of a motion activated flashlight? (toy for my child)

haplo

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm a flashaholic.... And as all flashaholics, it brings great joy to us when others around us (especially our kids) share the enthusiasm... My daughter always wants to play with my EDC, but its far to bright for a 1 year old to play with... So, I bought her a cheap $3.27 flashlight from Lowes. She loves it, and loves to wander over to dark corners in the living room and go 'oooohh' while she shines it at things.

However, the button is far too hard for her to move by herself, and she's only 1, so she doesn't quite have the "I need to do something before it works" mentality yet. So, I turn it on for her.

I looked around for a motion activated light, and couldn't really find anything that was handheld, or a toy. I found battery operated motion security lights, but that's not really what I was after. Several of her toys are motion activated, so I'm starting to think about a mod, if I can't find a real light that is already produced.

Anyone know of such a thing? I like the idea of motion turning it on, and then it eventually turns off (like her other motion activated toys). I'm just coming up short on what I'm trying to find. Her other toys that are motion activated glow, but she really gets a kick out of the spotlight affect that a focused flashlight beam provides.

Thanks all,
H.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Just a slight caution here. Don't get her any powerful led light. Eyes can be damaged by looking into the beam for an extended period. One year olds would be oblivious to that.

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if you bought one of those cheap shake-lights and locked the switch on, would that work? She would have to make a pretty deliberate motion to activate it (shaking it in one plane of motion repeatedly), but you wouldn't have to worry about batteries, and the cheap ones are usually pretty dim. If you're worried about eye damage, I think that some translucent Scotch tape or similar diffuser film added to the lens could serve as an adequate lumen-reducer. My only concern with that style of light would be size and weight. If she inadvertently bonked herself on the head with it, she might hurt herself. :/

Just a thought. Good to hear that the flashaholics of tomorrow are getting started early! :thumbsup: Good luck.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technology Associates' Zzz...Light

Shake to turn on, shake again to turn off. The RGB LED cycles through colors, and more importantly (since kids will be playing with it), it gradually dims and turns itself off after fifteen minutes.

It's more of a night light or dim lantern, but my daughter loves it, and she declared it was "hers" when she was barely old enough to walk.

I don't think Technology Associates is still developing new products, but I think the Zzz...Light is still for sale.

prof

Enlightened
At my local walmart there are stickon lights (not in the flashlight section, but near the light bulbs and hardware section). They're slyvania dot-its. There's one called the golden dragon. If I remember, it's motion activated.

I have a handful of the dimmable versions. My 4 year old loves it as the button is huge and easy to press (he's lost some of them...). It does not get very hot either--good for a bedtime light.

Let us know if you find one!