New Panasonic extra-smart charger

PeAK

Enlightened

a1mfc7.jpg
259kh2f.gif

Not sure if this is one of the benefits of having acquired Sanyo's Battery division but I was at a sister company of "Best Buy" (Future Shop in Canada) and came across the Panasonic BQ-C01 Charger (
BQ-C01AKM40). This is the ad copy on the back of the package:

These 4 "AA" cells are the next generation of Ni-MH batteries that can be charged up to 1,200 times. These batteries can be charged and stored for 365 days and still retain 80% of their charge. The Intelligent Charger adjusts the charge rate based on each cells existing power level, ensuring an optimum charge every time.

Mfr. Part Number: BQ-C01AKM40
More Information
Panasonic introduces the intelligent charging system, which optimizes battery performance with built in safety features.

The microprocessor controlled charger checks the condition of each battery and indicates if it is ready to use or needs to be charged. Built in sensors prevent overcharging and extending battery life.

The Safety features include Alkaline, reverse polarity, and bad cell detection. Also auto shut off and built in temperature control shuts off if batteries become too hot.
The package comes with Evolta batteries that have a similar number of recharge cycles as the 2nd generation eneloops...Sanyo cross-polination, I suppose...

The interesting (and contentious) claim is the variable charge rate based upon each cells power level. Some early adopters in this forum may be the first to comment after a test drive.

This item is so new that it does not appear on the Panasonic web site. Could be that the unit is being "test marketed" in my city ?

PeAK

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if this is one of the benefits of having acquired Sanyo's Battery division
It's possible, but seems too early.

Panasonic and Yuasa-Delta co-developed the alternate LSD technology that is the basis of the Panasonic R2, Rayovac Hybrid/4.0, and some others. They may be able to incorporate Sanyo technology into their designs.

Sanyo has to sell of it's Eneloop factory in order for Panasonic to acquire them.
Sanyo will still be the brains behind the batteries, even though Fujitsu will be manufacturing them and selling them back to Sanyo.

rumack

Enlightened
I didn't realize Panasonic had acquired Sanyo's battery division. I hope Panasonic doesn't dump the Eneloop technology in favor of their own.

If this charger really does vary the charge rate based on each individual cell's power level that would be impressive.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Well, Sanyo just began shipping a New, Improved version of Eneloops.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the charger itself, all I can say is the cells are situated waaaay too close together for all but the most advanced charging algorithm (if it even exists:thinking:).

It all boils down to what sells, and what is more convenient. Which sounds better, a vinyl LP or a CD? (Don't get me started! :)) Yes, I own mostly CDs, but.....

Good luck, Sanyo/Panasonic!

Dave

OpenGuy

Newly Enlightened
It'd be good to get more information on this. I spent all morning trying to find a decent travel charger here in Houston without success.

My definition of decent: individual circuits, 1-4 cells, 2-4 hr charge times, worldwide voltage, small, light-weight.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'd be good to get more information on this. I spent all morning trying to find a decent travel charger here in Houston without success.

My definition of decent: individual circuits, 1-4 cells, 2-4 hr charge times, worldwide voltage, small, light-weight.
You will find it difficult to meet that requirement in a B&M store. The chargers I have found that are small and lightweight and offer fast charging tend to make the batteries too hot. Part of the heat problem is having the power supply integrated in the unit and close to the batteries (the closeness being inevitable with everything squeezed into a small case).

If there is a Batteries Plus near you I think they carry some Maha chargers. You could look at the C401FS for instance, except that it does not have worldwide voltage. It uses an external 12 V 1 A power supply and you need to buy a different adapter according to the local voltage (or get the special worldwide adapter that Maha sells).

My favorite travel charger is the Duracell Power Gauge -- long discontinued, but old new stock can possibly still be found in Big Lots. Its main disadvantage is that it does not terminate charge very reliably with AAA cells (but it does AA cells perfectly).

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
Well nothing new or amazing AFAIK, it does what every good charger should do, it checks every channel and stops charging when a battery is full. Most cheap chargers charge batteries in pairs, so you must allways watch out you put the right pair in the charger...

So the only "revolution" is that normal chargers adjust their charging to a pair of batteries, while this one adjusts it to every single battery. Lots of chargers out there do that.

Conan

Newly Enlightened
Well nothing new or amazing AFAIK, it does what every good charger should do, it checks every channel and stops charging when a battery is full. Most cheap chargers charge batteries in pairs, so you must allways watch out you put the right pair in the charger...

So the only "revolution" is that normal chargers adjust their charging to a pair of batteries, while this one adjusts it to every single battery. Lots of chargers out there do that.

To my understanding the "variable charge-rate" means variable mAh. Currently all chargers have a fixed or "user-adjustable" charge rate. This one looks like it's automatic.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Panasonic have always been my favorite batteries since I used to run them in my R/C cars back in the 80's. :D Those old Ni-cad AA's seemed to last forever. I'm definitely looking into these.

OpenGuy

Newly Enlightened
If there is a Batteries Plus near you I think they carry some Maha chargers.

Thanks. The one near me has the Maha MH-C9000, which is a very fine charger (I have one), but alas it's not what I was looking for.

The only travel charger they had was a "Nuon" 1 hour charger. I hadn't heard of them before, and there was none/little information about the charger on the pack, so I kept looking. I still can't find out anything about them on the web, so I'm glad I passed them up.

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
I think thats just marketing talking, i very much doubt that it has any special current changing alghoritms.

AlexLED

Enlightened
The Intelligent Charger adjusts the charge rate based on each cells existing power level, ensuring an optimum charge every time.
PeAK

Hmmm, what exactly are they referring, to, charge current ?
Usually, intelligent chargers monitor the voltage change. If the charger does not keep the current constant, monitoring the voltage probably gets complicated.

Other than that, IMHO the optimal charging current does not depend on the "power level" or discharge status.

So, overall, I clearly don't see any benefit and would agree with some other's, that the text seems more "marketing" than "technically" driven.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Alex,

I may have to disagree with you... :)

We will have to find one of these chargers and check it out. It may be simply marketing, but if they do incorporate variable charging rates, this could have the possibility of being a very advanced charger.

The Schulze chargers have a mode that use variable charging rates. The charger checks the internal resistance of the cell (battery) and adjusts the charging rate accordingly. As the charge nears completeness, the internal resistance increases, and the charging rate is lowered to keep the cells from heating up. It takes a little more time to charge this way, but you end up with a very complete charge and cool cells.

The downside to this is that people would now have a way to charge crap cells with minimal heating, and would probably keep them around much longer... :devil:

Tom

Latest posts