Newbie looking for help!

Fishcramps

Newly Enlightened
Rookie here looking for some advice on a new flashlight. I work in a security type setting and looking for a nice bright light and could really use a strobe feature. I have a stinger xt and it seems to have really lost its oomph. My $100 flashlight seems to be easily out performed by cheap LED lights. I am looking for a light ~100$ or less. What is my best bet? Modifying really sparks my interest :naughty:

Jason_Tx

Newly Enlightened
My step son works nights as a security guard. While speaking with him about what type of light he uses, he informed me that he uses the stock Maglites that are supplied for him. I thought to myself.. hmmm... this just won't do.
So I put together a light for him which he says that he absolutely loves.
It is a Surefire 6P body that I bought off CPF Market Place. I had a Solarforce L2 crenelated bezel laying around and a solarforce reverse clicky tailcap. I ordered an R2 Drop in for it. All and all, it came in for around 50 Bucks.

You could just buy a Surefire 6PL or Surefire 6PDL
Or any of various offshoots of this light. They offer the flexibility of being able to just buy various types of drop ins to upgrade as new technology comes out. They come in 1 mode, 3 mode, 5 mode ... strobes/sos/signal/flashy flashy blink blink/ all sorts--

The SolarForce L2 is a also a P60 host which is much cheaper than a real surefire and has received really good ratings here on CPF, you can also used rechargeable 18650 batteries in the ones that are bored out for this..

Something like This plus This

My favorite light is a Bored Out SureFire 6P (for 18650 Batteries) which
you can buy from member ElectronGuru HERE and a Malkoff M60W Drop In (With this set up you can also use 2XCR123 batteries or 2XRCR123's or 1X18650)

There are alot of other light out there to consider aswell. Fenix makes some pretty good lights that fit your budget and some of 'em have strobe.
Check out 4sevens.com for those. I just personally prefer to upgrade a light buy just buying a new drop in instead of buying a whole new light.

And those few recommendations ............... are only the beginning.
Have fun reading until your eyes bleed :laughing:

Fishcramps

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a ton for the start, I had no idea how involved the flashlight community was :) I think I have stumbled upon a new hobby!

Quick question, the p60 and host looks very small. Does a light this size perform as well as a larger one?

Last edited:

LightCannon

Enlightened
Thanks a ton for the start, I had no idea how involved the flashlight community was :) I think I have stumbled upon a new hobby!

Quick question, the p60 and host looks very small. Does a light this size perform as well as a larger one?

Lets put it this way: a incan Maglite 3D will almost always be outgunned by a P60, unless it happens to be one of the Maglite-based monsters (Mag85/ROP)

So, to answer your question: Size doesn't matter.

Viper715

Enlightened
I second the Surefire host and a Malkoff M60. For right at $100 you can get a Malkoff MD2 Host and Malkoff M60 and I guranttee it is brighter than any mag you have seen. If you go with a Surefire 6P they are an awesome light. i would look at getting a Nailbender Drop in he does some awesome work. Or even a Moddoo Tripple Cree. Good luck on your purchase.

Fishcramps

Newly Enlightened
The M60W drop in is only one mode correct? How does this compare to a stock surefire 6p?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are many lights that can work.

What size you would like?
How much throw?
Runtime?
Batteries?
How many modes?

A single AA light can outperform a stock 4D mag, and if it has a good low mode, then it can out run the maglite too. So as stated before, size doesn't matter.

:welcome:

NewTech

Newly Enlightened
" My $100 flashlight seems to be easily out performed by cheap LED lights ".

With that $$$ you can get a much better flashlights.
Fenix TK-11 R2 or JetBeam III M R2 are best suggestion for carrying on your duty (compact, light weight and very bright).
They can accept different batteries (Cr123A, RCR123 or 18650).

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
Hey there.

I spent about 6 and a half years in security before I went LE so maybe I can offer some insight.

As a suggestion, strickly from my experience in Security and LE, I would loose the strobe :thumbsdow. It does have its uses for traffic and other specialized functions where visibility is desired, but as a tactical tool it is more of a cool gimick then anything else. A quick pulse of light using touch will achieve ALMOST the same effect on your subject.

Next, I would approach your employer or company (or your policies) and find out if they have any pre-existing limitations on duty flashlights. For example, I did work for an employer who OUTRIGHT BANNED all mag-lite type lights because he was fearful the were going to be used as a weapon :eek:. On the flip side; I also worked for an employer who REQUIRED that ALL guards carry 3D Mag-lites so that we had a back-up weapon handy :thinking:. Make sure you have your info so your not wasting time and money.

As fair as a duty flashlight under $100; your going to be limited to either smaller quality units or mag-lite type units unless "$100" isnt set in stone :broke:.

After that It boils down to size and output and options. I would stick with known names that you can find here on CPF, and before you purchase anything, do your homework both on here and maybe a security and LEO website or 2 so your happy with what you get :drool:.

You have midsized lights like the Pelican 7060/8060 which are both great polymer lights will nice output, runtime. and a rechargable/charging dock feature. You have the Streamlight Polystinger LED/Stinger LED/Stinger HP and all the DS varients that are all pretty good lights. Then there are the high output, super throwers like the Fenix TK30/40, the Jetbeam M1X, and others which are all running anywhere from a little to way over your budget. Then of course there is the ol' standby Mag-lite series, which when paired with a good quality drop-in will hold its own :duh2:.

You also have the more compact lights which is a list so long that it cant even be names here. Names like Surefire, Streamlight, Pelican, Fenix, Wolfeyes, Tiablo, Eagletac, and Olight all have pretty well built reputations for quality products... Most have some or most of their products coming in at under $100 so all you need to do is choose the style that you like (which in it self cant take a while because of all the offerings, tint options, accessories and whatnot).

Personally, I will +1 a bored out surefire from electron. :twothumbs

For my duty carry, I have a bored out SureFire C2 Centurion with a Malkoff M30 Drop-in, and Stainless steel bezel ring, running off of an AW 18650/26 (Li-Ion rechargable) battery. This means that I can hot-swap the batteries in just a few minutes, so that I am not left without my primary while my light is on the charger. The construction of this light is quality stacked with quality stacked with quality... and what you end up with is a nearly bullet proof package that will give me years of solid use :grin2:, However my particular package may be a little out of your budget... once again.

Hopefully this gave you a little insight so that you can better make a choice.

Stay Safe,

Alberta-Blue :cool:

Fishcramps

Newly Enlightened
With all the positive feedback on the Surefire, I am thinking about going with the bored 6P. I like the idea of having back up batteries to swap. With the dropin, Malkoff M60 (or M30?) seems to be a good choice. (what is "turnkey" option that ElectronGuru offers?)