Thrunite Catapult or JettBeam MX1

Hawkeye75

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite Catapult or JettBeam MX1????

I am stuck between which one to buy can anybody help? I will take all the opinons you guys can throw at me. Its a nice chunk of cash for either one. I would like to feel I know I made the right decision or at least close, after I dishing out my saved cash.

thanks

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have the Catapult (yet :p), but I can say that the M1X is really well built, and of course you know it's bright. Definitely one of the most impressive lights I own (and I'm comparing it to many lights significantly more expensive).

But remember the M1X has a donut hole and the catapult doesn't, if you mind that.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
well they're two different things IMO.

One has a SST-50 LED with bigger reflector (IIRC) while the other has a MC-E and smaller reflector.
They have different interfaces, on with a fix number of output level while the other has infinitely variable output with the popular 'military' UI (tighten for max, loosen for programmable mode)
Output and throw wise, IIRC catapult wins in both cases due to its SST-50 and the larger reflector size.
There's pros & cons for both, but if you're looking for sheer output and the WOW factor, you'd probably be better off with the catapult.

correct me if im wrong, I'm just making judgments here based on reviews and many people's accounts from earlier in this forum.

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
the beam on the catapult is definitely superior and donut hole free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyd2B3Mjz8g

at 44 seconds in you can start to see the M1X. The catapult didn't make this video at the time but I have seen it later and spent a week playing with it and its beam is much better than the M1X.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "Catapult" is well-named. :devil:

I wasn't interested in MCE/P7 lights due to the donut hole and inefficient OP lens.

I can't give you a comparison, but I am 100% happy with the ThruNite.

I can't imagine the Jetbeam being a slouch, it just never had the "gotta have it" factor for me. :wave:

Hawkeye75

Newly Enlightened
Catapult was also where I was leaning.

Please anymore opinions keep them coming.

:twothumbs

moviles

Enlightened
I like jetbeam flashligts.

but catapult its much more powerfull and without hole

catapult win :devil:

Hawkeye75

Newly Enlightened
Great stuff. Heres one for you all. Hows that Deerlight "big thrower" they offer for about a $100? also what other "big throwers" are out there for closer to $100 that are great lights?

thanks

UlrikJ

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have just bought the M1X insteadt of the Catapult. It is correct that the Catapult can throw further. This is because a single die LED is much easier to focus than a four die LED like the MCE and P7. The head and reflector on both are approximately the same size.

The M1X does have, for some, a nasty donut hole in the beam. I bought the light for throw so it is not a problem for me. Might be for some.

I chose the M1X because of the throw and the amount of light it emits. It is just truly amazing.

I am sure the Catapult is a nice light but nothing tops the build quality of Jetbeam. It is just superb.

ateallthepies

Enlightened
I have ordered today the Thrunite Catapult from Battery Junction and can't wait till it arrives:)

I was mulling over what twin 18650 light to get and was thinking either M1X or TK30.

But since I read a few threads on the Catapult I went with that make as I wanted lots of throw and from what I read it throws further than all current MC-E and P7 lights.

Well now all I can do is wait.

Steve.

Purrkieset

Newly Enlightened
What about the DBS V3 R2? Can it compare to the M1X / Catapult?

I'm stumped between the three of them. :thinking:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the DBS V3 R2 is a dedicated thrower it definitely looks better than the M1X with the donut hole. The catapult though, since it has no hole and it has a very well focused beam, even though its wider it over powers the DBS V3 and just makes things light up. Now in pitch black at further distances the V3 may shine through a little better than the Cat in the hot spot but that Cat is no slouch out throwing a bright beam out there at ranges where you will notice you simply have more light.

I got to see and compare multiple lights including the Catapult and DBS V3 R2 and Tiablo A9 with Aspheric lens all side by side last night. I have seen the M1X before and its donut hole takes it out of the thrower group for me.

I also saw the DBS V3 run with its aspheric lens as well. I still like a good polished reflector better and a nice bright beam of light. I would put it at the Cat, over the DBS V3 over the M1X myself.

ateallthepies

Enlightened
Yay,

I seem to have made the right choice for once.:cool:

Now if the light comes through customs without any extra charges I will be well chuffed:twothumbs

Steve.

Purrkieset

Newly Enlightened
Since the DBS V3 R2 is a dedicated thrower it definitely looks better than the M1X with the donut hole. The catapult though, since it has no hole and it has a very well focused beam, even though its wider it over powers the DBS V3 and just makes things light up. Now in pitch black at further distances the V3 may shine through a little better than the Cat in the hot spot but that Cat is no slouch out throwing a bright beam out there at ranges where you will notice you simply have more light.

I got to see and compare multiple lights including the Catapult and DBS V3 R2 and Tiablo A9 with Aspheric lens all side by side last night. I have seen the M1X before and its donut hole takes it out of the thrower group for me.

I also saw the DBS V3 run with its aspheric lens as well. I still like a good polished reflector better and a nice bright beam of light. I would put it at the Cat, over the DBS V3 over the M1X myself.

Good info Gman,

You didn't make a youtube video of those lights by chance? :grin2:

jtrucktools34

Newly Enlightened
What about the DBS V3 R2? Can it compare to the M1X / Catapult?

I'm stumped between the three of them. :thinking:

I own all 3 and I'm still stumped!

I like each of them for different reasons. Neither takes the place of the other for me. It also depends on what you want to use the light for.

I must say the Catapult is my latest purchase. I was hoping to "blow away" the M1X but I can't say it does completely. It is a slightly stronger thrower than the M1X but the color of the beam (yellow/greenish) makes it more of a strain on the eyes. Everyone says how well built the M1X is but the Catapult is a BEAST! It feels as if you could hit a 100 mph fast ball with this thing and still light it up. I feel it outdoes the M1X when there is ambient light around because of its brighter hotspot and lack of the doughnut hole effect.

The M1X has a brighter spill and yes a doughnut hole. I would choose this it for more medium range searching. I feel it does a little better in total darkness because it increases your peripheral vision due to the brightness of the spill.

The DBS is amazing and it is my 1st grab mainly because of it's compact size. You can slip it in a (large) pocket which is something not easily done with either of the others. I guess it would depend on which battery configuration you are using. I run 2 RCR123A's in my DBS. The other 2 "outshine" this one in overall illumination but IMHO it is more practical for every day use. (That's not EDC though).

Bottom Line.... BUY ALL 3!! :naughty: