Do the nightcore "EZ" series lights look familiar to anyone else?

notrefined

Enlightened
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this (though a quick search failed to turn anything up), but do the nightcore "EZ" series lights look to anyone else like something we might have seen before? Aesthetically I mean. Because to me (admitedly never having actually held one), they seem very reminiscent of the Nightcutter "NC" series lights of a few years back, which I loved dearly and still mourn the loss of. In fact, even though it's been a long time, I think the ad copy from nightcore sounds very familiar as well. Anybody know if some of the same people are involved?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Civictor V1 is pretty close.
Civictor.jpg

Does not look the same but works the same. Millermods 2 stage Arc AAA.
Millermods-EasyAA-size.jpg

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
I see threads like this pop up every so often... how many ways are there to make a small, simple, knurled, tubular aluminum flashlight? Seems like a lot of them look/function/feel just like something else that came along earlier.

Even the larger flashlights I see frequently look similar. There are some notable exceptions that I can think of, such as the SPY 00x series and Eagletac M2XC4, but much of the rest appears to be comprised of tubular battery holders covered with various rows/columns/rings of decorative/grip/anti-roll features.

Even at the most basic level, such as how the battery or batteries contact the tailcap, just about everything I've seen uses a coiled spring with a generally conical shape. Someone came up with that design a long time ago. Anybody know who? (I don't)

What about the general way that most general purpose flashlights look these days? Relatively long, thin tube attached to the back of a larger diameter head with a tapered or angled blend. Who came up with that shape, and how long ago?

This isn't a rant or complaint by any means! I just wonder how many truly creative and truly usable ways there are to build a practical flashlight. After a while, they all seem to look the same in a general way.

As for appearance and functionality of the EZ series being similar to other lights... to me, the design of the EZ series looks very much like the design of the Muyshondt Aeon (which looks like a Larry Light). It also utilizes a means of activation that is said to be exactly like that used in a Muyshondt Aeon. Details here.

Last edited:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a larry to me, as does the PD10, but it's kinda like saying all 1910 and 1920s cars look alike

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah, NiteCutter lights. I used to live literally up the street from the guy who owned that company. There was an EMS shop that had the whole line. I remember at the time there was a 5watt and a 3 or 1 watt version. The 5 watt had different lenses and bezels, one more aggressive , one more EDC friendly. I was drawn to both and really wanted the set. I remember handling them and the quality was incredible on those 2 models. I mean SF qulity with beautiful annodizing and threads and coating on the inside of the tubes. Output on the 5watt was right up there with cutting edge of the day . They were both twistys whch I guess wasnt very Tactical? I cant remember if the 5watt had a button but I dont think so.

I have always actually hoped that of the 2 models would come up here for sale over the years but I have never seen ONE!!! Just the lower end crappy multi led ones which herent all that bad but couldnt hold a flame to the 2 flagship models.I never had the moeny to afford buying one at the time and dont really have it now but I think If one came up I would scrape it togehter somehow

I dont know why the guy gave up and jumped out of flashlights because he was to me one of the pioneers of true led EDC lights of the best quality and if he had stuck with it he would have been on the top of the heap now. A shame really. I know many now got thier ideas from Nitecutter lights

And I dont know about similarities but really how many ways can you design a flashlight. Other than a tube or a square what the heck else you gonna do with it? Fenix,4-7s,SF,Olight etc etc they all are tubes with heads that emit light right?

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see threads like this pop up every so often... how many ways are there to make a small, simple, knurled, tubular aluminum flashlight? Seems like a lot of them look/function/feel just like something else that came along earlier.

Even the larger flashlights I see frequently look similar. There are some notable exceptions that I can think of, such as the SPY 00x series and Eagletac M2XC4, but much of the rest appears to be comprised of tubular battery holders covered with various rows/columns/rings of decorative/grip/anti-roll features.

And I dont know about similarities but really how many ways can you design a flashlight. Other than a tube or a square what the heck else you gonna do with it? Fenix,4-7s,SF,Olight etc etc they all are tubes with heads that emit light right?

Agreed 100%.