National Do Not Call Registry goes live today!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: National Do Not Call Regsitry goes live today!

I signed up both my home number and my cellular phone number last night after hearing about it on the 10:00 news. They had a poll about it too - 98% said they'd sign up, and 2% said they wouldn't.

d'mo

Enlightened

I'm getting a "can't find server" message - must be a really busy place today.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

I hope we get a similar Registry in Canada soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Empath

Flashaholic

It is backward though. All numbers should be considered "do not call" unless registered for an opt-in.

zmoz

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
It is backward though. All numbers should be considered "do not call" unless registered for an opt-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a point. I finally just got rid of my home phone because it rang so often...now I only use a cell phone.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

We've had one in Indiana for a while now. It works quite well. I have had one or two calls in a year's time where I averaged two or three a night sometimes. Ours has less loopholes than the federal one so I won't sign on to that one. It was a great thing and a long time coming.

My peeve with telemarketers was that they would leave messages. When I'm on the road and they have spammed me I have to burn a long distance call to hear garbage. Grrr.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

If your state does not have one this is definitely a way to go. Even if it only reduces TM spam by 50% that is an accomplishment.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is the best thing to come out of Washington DC in my lifetime. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now let's remove the loopholes for non-profits and companies you have done business with or contacted and lets make it public flogging for violators.

Let's reclaim the sanctity of our homes!

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Done and done!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Come September, I'll be able to turn the bell on my phone back on (instead of screening my calls with the answering machine and caller ID. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

Dan

BF Hammer

Enlightened

Wisconsin just implemented a do-not-call list last year, and it really did reduce the amount of unwanted calls for me. I just signed up for the federal list about an hour ago, and am still waiting for the confirmation email.

You still get calls from charities, political organizations, pollsters, and companies you have done business with in the last 18 months, but just a reduction in overall annoyance calls is worth the price - *free*.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just registered for the list. Never got calls on my cell, but added the number anyway. An ounce of prevention... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

K A

Enlightened

Kansas has had a Do Not Call list for about a year now. In todays paper it said that everyone on the Kansas DNC list would automatically be forwarded to the National list so we wouldnt have to sign up twice.

Pellidon:
I thought the National DNC list superceded any state organized DNC list? Or am I mistaken? I thought federal stuff always superceded state/local stuff.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

The site's a little slow getting the confirmation out right now, but hopefully, the loopholes don't kill this program...

Tomas

Banned

Well, I put two 'phone numbers into the sign-up form, but only got a confirming e-mail for one of them. I'll attack that problem later tonight when their system MIGHT be a bit less stressed.

BTW: Am I the only one who happened to think as I was filling in the 'phone numbers and e-mail address that the federal government now has finally identified a few million e-mail addresses right to the person's phone number? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T_sig2.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard on the radio that there have been problems because sooo many people want to get on the list. The phones have been full, and their website has been getting about 1,000 hits per second!!! Maybe that is why it is taking me a while to load. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tomas,

What makes you think they didn't have that information, already? Its cross-referenced with your SSN. Welcome to **** Cheney's America! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Dan

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
Good thing my telephone is registered to a mythical name...... But I like Telemarketers, I have a free software prog. called "Enigma" which tracks them and THEIR information, plus excerpts of the law. Once I start quoting the law to them, they get very quiet!! All you have to do is ask them for a COPY of their "Do not call" POLICY. Not just put on the list. If they don't send it, you can sue them for five grand per violation of the 1992 Federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act. Look it up on the web. Shucks, now nobody calls me anymore..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash,

I used to answer their calls and mess with their heads. Right after the telemarketer would say "How are you tonight?" I would chime in with "Boy, am I ever glad you called!! You see I have this problem and you could probably help me out. I have this garage that is full of stuff that I have to get rid of and I was wondering if you would like to buy.....". They normally hung up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan