newbie questions

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
hello from london. "all I wanted was a flashlight..." and then I discovered this place - the amount of information available here, as well as the attention to detail, is both inspiring and disturbing :)

perhaps someone will be able to offer some advice with regards to the following:

I'm looking for 2 lights. first of all a AAA. I've narrowed my choices to Fenix LOD-CE, Maratac AAA and Leatherman Serac S2. Price is not a factor, I guess I'm most concerned about materials / built quality and battery performance. does anyone has these and can offer some thoughts on how they stack against each other?

briefly, what's wrong with alkaline batteries? and what AA/AAA alternatives are better?

also - CR123? I know they are not that popular (I don't mind, since if I'm going some place I'll need replacements, I just pack an extra one or two, rather than hope there will be a place to get them), but what are their advantages? is CR123 considered an alternative to AA (say for their capacity?) or is the main thing its small size that allows for more compact flashlight design?

I had a 2AA maglite I was quite happy with as my EDC (used and abused it all over the world including some rather challenging environments), then battery leaked, got stuck, and I was looking for an LED upgrade anyway. I was planning to stick with maglite and go for their 2AA LED, I was also aware of Surefire brand but that's as far as it went, and then I came here and discovered a ton of other options. question: is maglite the only company offering beam focusing in their products? (I found it quite useful several times). I read some good reviews of Fenix LD20 and I'm pretty much set on it.

thanks and have a great weekend everyone.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. I like the Fenix have you considered the LD01 R2- http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=639

2. alkaline can drop under heavy load and don't last as long as Nimh rechargeable so a good alternative to alkaline would be rechargeable NiMh in AA/AAA your gonna get longer runtimes with the same output. I've seen some lights that are even brighter with NiMh even though they are 1.2volts compared to 1.5 volt alkaline. As for Cr123 they are 3 volts apiece so they pack more power than a 1.5 volt battery hence they power much brighter lights. Being small is another advantage to but they can also function better in much colder environment since they are lithium battey's. The list can go on why they are a better power source for lights. Im sure I missed a few.

3. The LD20 is a wonderful light in its 2AA class. Another you may want to consider is the Quark 2AA tactical depending on your operation preferences. Their is also a standard Quark 2AA they functions the same as the Fenix. I will link you to the Quark if your not already familiar to it. Their is alot to take in and research CPF is a wonderful place for that with great people willing to help. Good luck

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=1656

LightCannon

Enlightened
Regarding question 1:

The Leatherman Serac S2 is an AA light I believe, and, imho, the Fenix is a tad overpriced. So, I would go with the Maratac. However, this opens up a whole other can of worms...

If you're planning on EDCing it on a keychain, a better choice would the the iTP A3 EOS 3-mode. It's essentially the same light, with a beefier keyring attachment point.

If you wanna get all fancy, there's stainless steel and titanium versions of the iTP A3 EOS...or you can get an IlluminaTi.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1. I'd go with the Maratac. Good reviews, good price, and seems to be a good light.

2. Alkaline batteries can leak, as you found out, and they sag in voltage and capacity much sooner then rechargeable batteries. CR123s run at 3v, which is much closer to the LED's input voltage then a single alkaline battery which allows a more efficient circuit for a shorter light. They also tolerate high and low temperatures better and can take a high current draw. Capacity wise, they are similar to AA batteries.

3. I find focusing over rated. It either leaves a hole in the beam on flood mode(reflector), or you have no spill(optic/lens). If I want to see something close, I either turn the light to low mode, use the spill, or use a diffuser. Maglite isn't the only company with a focusing light, but they are the best know one. The LD20 is a good light. I'd suggest you look at the Quark AA^2, Jetbeam Jet I EX, iTP SR2 and C8R, Olight T25, and the Lumapower Vantage.

:welcome:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
SS itp eos or the aluminum version if the ligthweight is important to you.. i have both. ss is in the keychain as it can take more abuse. the natural colored eos a3 is on my nightstand and goes into my wallet sometimes as "deep undercover" backup.

and the maratac is not available overseas (or the shipping costs are insane) i was tempted to buy one but as the itp offers similar type for cheaper shipping i chose them. (i got 4 of them and i have gifted 2 of them already.. will likely buy couple more before xmas)

the size of the light is like a pinky finger and it weighs practically nothing.. so its very easy take with.

fenix is nice quality light but i just personally dont like to spend that much more for a light that can be almost substituted completely by cheaper alternatice like itp.

ld20. not a bad choice. but you might like the 47s quarks too. they are a bit more "advanced" version of the fenix in my mind.

and both ld20 and quark allows you to buy 2aa light and then get a 1aa body separately (for about 20$) and use the light either in 1aa or 2aa form. lego effect.

i have several 2aa lights that i only use as "longer runtime task and around house" lights.. in my pockets or in my belt i carry shorter and lighter wight lights. easier to carry one that you dont notice its there. thats where a smaller aa or aaa light comes in.

about focusing.. the newer generations of led lights do not "need" a focusing effect. they offer decent throw and spill as is. and their output will very likely bow you away if you are only accustomed to the maglite 2aa incan bulbs. (i think its the medium setting in fenix ld20 that has equal output as mag 2aa incan)

only few lights offer focusing feature. fenix has one, e20 and coast/led lenser offers focusing lense. it is considered the best in focus lights but like i said.. you probably wont need that feature anymore. buy the itp eos and see how it works for you.

as a side note. you might find the fenix and itp light to be too bright white tint.. especially if you are used to the warm yellowish incan tint.. i personally like the warmer/neutral tint led lights better. (to my eyes white tints make things look a bit ghostly and eerie blueish.. while warmer tints offer more natural looking colors.)

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
thanks everyone for advice, suggestions and ideas.

with regards to CR123 I found this topic to be of relevance: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/250374

I'll live without the beam focusing and suspect having control over brightness levels will be a worthy trade-off.

sounds like a strange, limiting sales tactic on maratac side with the US only approach.

tylernt

Enlightened
briefly, what's wrong with alkaline batteries? and what AA/AAA alternatives are better?
Check this out: http://lights.chevrofreak.com/runtimes/Fenix L1D CE/Fenix L1D CE - high.png -- many lights only produce full output for a couple of minutes with alkaline before it starts to dim. You need a different chemistry to sustain the kind of current draw a bright light needs.

If you're only occasionally using a low-powered light that doesn't tax the abilities of alkaline, then alkalines make a little more sense (except for the leakage issue).

question: is maglite the only company offering beam focusing in their products? (I found it quite useful several times).
This is less necessary with power LED lights because they usually have a bright spot and a wide spill, so you kind of have both at the same time.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a fellow newbie and from North Wales UK I started out with the AAA Microstream bought via the US long before I found this site,it has been my edc for the last 2 years and still is going strong,not a heavy battery eater either,operate mine on the pre charged batteries called Instants and bought here in the UK.

After reading the members comments I purchased the ITP A3 EOS upgraded 3 mode edition in sterile format,a smashing little light with a really bright high when needed.

Also just come into a blue Fenix EO1,that is my night use edc,like this light alot already and the purple bit with urine colour does not bother me as I am not looking at white walls.

Bought in the UK and becoming very fond of is the AA cell Cyber Lites by Ring Automotive.

Arco the safety wear people do some nice lights to check out,the Flare 60 AA x2 reminds me alot of my old maglite and has flood to spot change and very cheap but good quality. (view online Arco)

One tip I can give US prices can be much better than UK prices even factoring in postage and delivery is roughly 5 working days to hit your doormat plus you have the advantage of using some vendors off this board who offer free shipping and a members discount.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
won't the customs charges for products from outside of EU be bigger than the currency savings you make?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
won't the customs charges for products from outside of EU be bigger than the currency savings you make?

I have bought and sold toy cars for years via here and the US,have sent 2 packets this week to the US,all arrived ok never had a problem.When I lived in Berlin a couple of years ago I had a toy stopped by Zoll (German Customs) which was coming to me from the US.All I had to do was go to the Zoll office and open the packet in front of them,no duty to pay and I walked out with my 50 dollar collectors car.

A collector just sent me a pic of his received toys sent to a non EU country by me on Monday this week.I never hesitate in buying from the US.

007pair.jpg

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depends on how much you bought the light for, how it's labeled, and how the officer is feeling that day. I've read of people who had lights slip through the custom's charge.

Also, don't forget that the shops also have to make some profit above the light and the tax.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
thanks, I'll look at the prices here and there and might give it a go. I've also noticed ebay lists some hong kong suppliers that beat UK shop prices by about 25%.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
hello from london. "all I wanted was a flashlight..." and then I discovered this place - the amount of information available here, as well as the attention to detail, is both inspiring and disturbing :)

perhaps someone will be able to offer some advice with regards to the following:

I'm looking for 2 lights. first of all a AAA. I've narrowed my choices to Fenix LOD-CE, Maratac AAA and Leatherman Serac S2. Price is not a factor, I guess I'm most concerned about materials / built quality and battery performance. does anyone has these and can offer some thoughts on how they stack against each other?
I only have Fenix LOD CE of your possibles but it's a great light saddled with one BAD trait. It has pretty slow Pulse Width Moderation in low and medium. I think the new version of LOD - LD01 has fixed that to a large degree.

2:
Alkaline batteries will leak when you least expect it. In D cell lights at the very least I'll put a sleeve of 1" PVC and run C cells so they won't get stuck in the light! Low Self Discharge NimH batteries such as Eneloops or Hybrids make FAR better sense in AA LED lights!I very nearly lost a 3C mag and a Streamlight Twin Task 3C to leaky alkalines. Those lights now have AA cells (Lithium) which makes them lighter and far less prone to have battery issues.

also - CR123? I know they are not that popular (I don't mind, since if I'm going some place I'll need replacements, I just pack an extra one or two, rather than hope there will be a place to get them), but what are their advantages? is CR123 considered an alternative to AA (say for their capacity?) or is the main thing its small size that allows for more compact flashlight design?
I have the ability to put my Fenix Q5 head on either a 123 or an AA body. I also have an L2 body for it.
The light gets a LOT brighter as 123. More compact too.

I had a 2AA maglite I was quite happy with as my EDC (used and abused it all over the world including some rather challenging environments), then battery leaked, got stuck, and I was looking for an LED upgrade anyway. I was planning to stick with maglite and go for their 2AA LED, I was also aware of Surefire brand but that's as far as it went, and then I came here and discovered a ton of other options. question: is maglite the only company offering beam focusing in their products? (I found it quite useful several times). I read some good reviews of Fenix LD20 and I'm pretty much set on it.
As others have mentioned you could do a LOT worse than a Fenix L2D!
But I personally think Quark lights are Fenix lights taken to a higher plain!

thanks and have a great weekend everyone.
Thank you! I shall try!

krash

Newly Enlightened
Hi luke im new to lights too and i bought a nitecore extreme r2 torch after seeing it on channel five's the gadget show. I bought a charger and a coupe of aw cr123 rechargeables from the nitecore uk site and am very pleased with the torch and the battery life is fantastic. Heres a link to the Gadget Show Clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lQkaunxeEk

Latest posts