Will I notice the brightness difference??

mx125

Newly Enlightened
I have a surefire E1B, A2, and a lumapower M1 from 2007, which is about the brightest. My research on CPF seems to put this at about 115 lumens OTF.

I've been looking at getting a new single 18650 or 2xCR123 light as they seem to be pushing approx. 225 lumens in your reviews. I wonder, though . . .if that's something that will really make a difference to my eyes? Side to side beamshots will be "brighter", I'm sure . . but will I really light up more of my front field, for example? Is it true I need 4X the light for a "wow" difference?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How much difference you see will depend on how you are comparing the output, the beam pattern of the lights, how accurate the lumen ratings are, the battery's condition, and how clean the contacts are. So as you can tell, there are quite a few variables.

4x the light, presuming the same beam pattern, will give you a perceived 2x increase in output. But a 100 lumen thrower can seem brighter then a 200 lumen flood light.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good post Gunner12,

But I will give my opinion about the perceived brightness. I actually don't fully agree with the common rule of the perceived brightness. I know that (and that's also my experience) that the eyes perceived brightness often isn't correct. That's easy visible when using a lightmeter. But also I have experienced that this strongly vary of the light conditions/brightness/colour tint and more.

For example: When I change the modes of my Fenix L1D I really don't experience the 53lm mode as more than 4 times as bright as 12lm mode. When compare with lightmeter and ceiling bounce test I see that the stated difference is very correct, however.
But when put on the red filter the difference seems to be much bigger for the eyes, then 4 times seems to be right for the eyes!

When I do the same comparison with LD20 at 94 and 180lm modes (or Quark PD20 at 70/170lm) without red filter the difference seems to be correct for the eyes. I really don't know why, but with some lights and brightness modes the perceived difference is very close to the true and sometimes not at all.

Therefore I don't think it's right to state at an always current rule that a perceived doubling of brightness will demand 4 times the brightness. But I very much agree with that it usually demands more than twice the brightness to perceive it at twice.

Regards, Patric

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i stepped up from the P60L found in most surefire LED lights, rated at 80 lumens to a few of 200+ lumens lights, and i was overwhelmed, i thought the difference was very dramatic, and definitely worth it.

mx125

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. So it sounds like a new generation light with a similar (medium throwy) beam pattern will be slightly 'noticably' brigher and certainly brighter in my ceiling bounce. However, I combined a new generation LED in a more throwy light . . for example . . . a dereelight DBS V3 . . . I would probably be VERY impressed with how far I could spot deer etc on nighttime walks?? edit . . .and thanks SFG2Lman . .I just saw your post.