CPF browsing on a Kindle 2

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently thinking about getting an e-reader like the Kindle 2, which has a wireless web browser built in. I'm curious if anyone has one, and how does CPF fare on it?

Norm

Retired Administrator
I'm also interested on comments but I have been an early adopter too many times and I'm prepared to sit back for twelves months or so and see what develops.
Norm

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have kicked around getting a Kindle but I too think the technology will change a lot in the next year or two. I do like the fact that a lot of the classics are free. I like the feel of holding a book in your hand and flipping the pages. I wonder if you get used to not doing that when using an e-book reader.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think I would, but I did. In fact, I like it better because it's clearer (yes, really) than printed text and my hands don't tire during a long read because it's easier to hold and you don't need to keep it open.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume it must be a lot better then a PC. I just read Call of the Wild from Google books but it sure was an eyestrain and I only could read a bit at a time.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume it must be a lot better then a PC. I just read Call of the Wild from Google books but it sure was an eyestrain and I only could read a bit at a time.

Besides it being very clear, the screen is not backlit; that is what, along with the many reflections, cause eyestrain.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I've been reading on a Kindle 2 now for a number of months and probably read a dozen or so books on it. I don't plan to go back to the printed page. I never tried to browse CPF or any web site until reading this post and I just did succeed in getting onto CPF and logging in but it seemed to be too slow and I wasn't interested in the learning curve of how to navigate quickly and effectively. With a decent user interface, I would guess the Kindle would be a reasonable means of navigating the web provided the screen size was not an issue. The screen is definitely easy on the eyes!

LED BriCK

Enlightened
I have it. I love reading on it, and I read alot more since I can download books on a whim. I also love the text-to-speech in the car. I have tried internet browsing on it- it works and is fine if that's the only option available (hey, free mobile internet is a wonderful thing!), but it's pretty slow, kind of like what I remember dial-up being, maybe slower.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's not color but do the books provide and the Kindle display, any grayscale illustrations or images?

I imagine the ipad as an ebook reader would have the same issues as viewing ebooks on your pc monitor?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's not color but do the books provide and the Kindle display, any grayscale illustrations or images?

I imagine the ipad as an ebook reader would have the same issues as viewing ebooks on your pc monitor?

Yes, book illustrations are present, and they are displayed crisply in grayscale.