Special vacation ideas?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Say you have a birthday or anniversary coming up and you want to do a special trip to celebrate. What-where are some places that come to your mind?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashaholics don't take vacations? Come on...you're using those flashlights elsewhere besides around the house and work right. ;) :nana:

Awright...where'd ya take your last vacation...looking for ideas...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Our next vacation (next month - January) is to spend a long weekend winter camping on the Pacific Crest Trail in northern California. We'll be boarding the Amtrak in central Oregon w/ backpacks, and getting off as close as we can to where the PCT intersects the Amtrak route in northern CA. I'd really like to do a backpacking trip without using our cars to get to the jumpoff location for once. :thinking:

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kestrel- Backpacking sounds interesting...pretty coolish weather in Nor Cal. I took a scenic drive route on the way up to Eugene. Some of the smaller roads were very pretty and the scenery...gorgeous. So. Cal lacks that obviously. ;) How long a route are you taking? That will give you plenty of opportunities for flashlights. :)

brucec-what parts of Hawaii do you like? We spent some time on Oahu on the Kaneohe side also visited Kauai. Would like to go back to Kauai simply for the quietness aspect. Plenty to see and the plane ride isn't terribly long either.

vtunderground

Enlightened
For our anniversary we rented a secluded cabin on a pretty large stream in the mountains. We brought two cars, so we left one car in the next town downstream, put the canoe in at the cabin, & spent a whole day floating & fishing. I'd go back in a heartbeat, and more importantly, so would she.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Belize. I'd spend more time in the jungle this time, and more time on some of the unpopulated islands you can get to by sea-kayak. Then, take your well-worn, sunned and bug-bitten body to Cayo Espanto (www.aprivateisland.com) for a week of resting and pampering.

I spent two weeks on Cayo Espanto as part of my honeymoon, and it was exquisite. Service is INCOMPORABLE to anywhere else I have ever been, food is first rate, private divemaster taking you to some of the best diving I have ever done...and a housman just a radio call away with a nice selection of single malt and cigars (and literally anything else you want...they'll take a boat and rent a plane to get it if they need to.) Not cheap....but unforgettable.

Greta

Flashaholic
Well this year I will be spending my birthday at SHOT Show! :D (Not the most "romantic/special" place but should be LOTS of fun!) ... Depending on when your special occasion is and how much time you have to plan, a 3 or 5 day cruise out of LA or San Diego is always nice... or a nice quiet weekend in one of those quaint seaside hotels in Cambria... walks on the beach... quiet, romantic dinners... time together... :)

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
vtunderground, smokelaw1- those are excellent ideas...something like these would be different from past getaways. Prices a bit higher but it gives me a theme to look into. I enjoyed the Caribbean and have contemplated parts of Central America for a future trip. I'm not familiar with food in the region...what types did you have prepared?

Greta- Cambria is fantastic it's peaceful compared to the LA region. Ugh. Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay... The wine in the area is mucho fun. Walks along Moonstone Beach ahh. A fantastic area of CA, glad you experienced it. Many drive by on by to Hearst Castle and not even realize this little town.

Snapped this pic last December between rain storms.
mnstn401c.jpg