Anyone Do High-End Audio Repair?

neal71

Newly Enlightened
Posted in another off topic forum, but this one seems to get a lot more views.

I have a Marantz SR-18EX that will not power on, because of the amazing quality of this receiver and the price tag I would like to have it fixed. I was told that it was going to be $100 dollars to even look at it, just hoping someone here would have an idea about what could be wrong, or maybe know anyone in the DFW area that works on home audio equipment.

neal71

Newly Enlightened
I thought I had, I just educated myself on ceramic fuses and how there is no outward signs of them being blown, so I am off to fry's to see if this $2 dollar fuse can turn my newest and most expensive paper weight back into a receiver.

I have been playing with electronics and building computers for years, I have never seen anything like the internals of this receiver. It has like 20 different circuit boards in it. I will be so relieved if it is just the fuse that is burned out.

001.jpg

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you checked the outlet it was plugged into .

And check inside the unit with a VOM to see that 120v is coming in on the cord .

Don't overlook the obvious which is often ignored .

And test the power switch on the unit

neal71

Newly Enlightened
Replaced both of the fuses, no luck, checked the cable by using a cable that was just running my computer, and checked the power switch and it seemed fine. I do not have any testing tools, so I guess it is off to the $100/hr repair shop. I love fixing things and tinkering, but I just cant bring myself to rip into this receiver, I think broken it is still worth a good chunk of money.

Anyone know any shops in the DFW area that work on high-end audio equipment? Shipping really is an option, but seeing as how it weighs close to 50lbs I would have to know cost of repair before I sent it.

Last edited:

neal71

Newly Enlightened
I agree, i get lucky with the trial and error method. Testing tools would be nice, but someone could spend a hundred dollars on a voltage tester, and I cant justify that kind of expense on my student salary. With this AVR i cant afford to replace it if I really mess something up, I am fairly certain I could have purchased a nice collection of Surefire flashlights for the original cost of this receiver.

neal71

Newly Enlightened
Side note: Although testing equipment would be much more beneficial than another flashlight, I just do not think it looks as cool.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Few important things to know. Did it die during use? Does it make any noise when plugged in or attempt to power up? Is it something you have received DOA?

neal71

Newly Enlightened
Few important things to know. Did it die during use? Does it make any noise when plugged in or attempt to power up? Is it something you have received DOA?

1.It did not die in use, it was gradually getting harder to turn it on, had to press the button a lot to get it on.

2. No noises at all, but it never made any noise other than the cooling fan.

3. Was not DOA.

The only reason I have not shipped it to an authorized dealer is because there is one here in Dallas. It is just going to cost a minimum of $100 dollars, and that only covers fuses or soldering problems. I am a broke college student, and just figured maybe someone on here just happened to be an expert with home audio and lived 30 minutes away. Replaced the fuses today, neither appeared to have a problem but since one was ceramic I decided to go ahead and check. I could not find another ceramic one, but from what I have read a glass fuses and ceramic fuses are close enough to interchange. That did not solve the problem and I honestly have no idea where to get the parts for replacement.

bald1

Enlightened
1.It did not die in use, it was gradually getting harder to turn it on, had to press the button a lot to get it on.

Your comment here raises a flag for me. I've had power switches as well as volume controls go out on gear over the years. And I've replaced 'em too. Bets are if you tell your repairman this same thing that it'll be one of the first places he checks.

buickid

Enlightened
Indeed. It probably uses an switch that shorts a circuit, telling the main board to flip a relay that powers up the system. You could try taking off the front panel and shorting the terminals of the power button. Its possible that the little power button is no good.

Is there a remote you can try and turn it on with?

neal71

Newly Enlightened
Any chance it is still under warranty?

Unfortunately marantz does not offer a very good warranty, even at their crazy high prices, I think they just upped their warranty to five years. I personally believe when someone pays that kind of money, it should come with in-home service for first three years, and covered for authorized repair at least ten.

I honestly am suspecting the power button, there are two ac outlets on the back of the receiver, one requires the unit to be powered on, and one does not, the one that does not require the unit to be turned will power other electronics.

neal71

Newly Enlightened
Indeed. It probably uses an switch that shorts a circuit, telling the main board to flip a relay that powers up the system. You could try taking off the front panel and shorting the terminals of the power button. Its possible that the little power button is no good.

Is there a remote you can try and turn it on with?

I tried turning it on with a remote but would not power up. The power button does not really turn on the unit, just brings it to standby mode or completely powers the unit down. The remote actually turns it on.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you try the remote or the switch do you hear a click? If you don't it's likely the relay that turns the unit on is dead. If you do hear a click then it's going to be slightly harder to figure out what's wrong. Another thing to look for would be leaky caps in the power supply.

Last edited:

1wrx7

Enlightened
I've been using the same Pioneer reciever for about ten years now. About five years ago the volume knob on the front started acting funny. Turning it up made the volume go down, sometimes it did nothing and then would ramp up very quickly. Lately the other buttons on the front have been acting up too. Power, input selection, DSP modes, all work when they want to, not when I want them to. It's very annoying but at least controlling everything from the remote still works perfectly. I guess what I'm saying is there could be a problem with the controls on the front, or maybe the relay after the main power switch:shrug: Good luck, I've always liked Marantz products.

I actually have a stereo Marantz reciever in my basement than doesn't work. It was probally made in the 70's... dial tuning and toggle switches:naughty: I checked the fuses and no luck there. Now that you've brought it up I think I need to dig it out and see if it can be fixed. Thanks for the reminder:thumbsup:

neal71

Newly Enlightened
There is no click, other than the power button itself. when the button used to be in the on position the standby light always stayed on, just changed color, now it will not come on at all, I just do not know where to get the parts.

Marantz vintage is in a class of its own, that stuff sells for crazy amounts on some websites.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually have a stereo Marantz reciever in my basement than doesn't work. It was probally made in the 70's... dial tuning and toggle switches:naughty: I checked the fuses and no luck there. Now that you've brought it up I think I need to dig it out and see if it can be fixed. Thanks for the reminder:thumbsup:

Those 70's Marantz units are quite fixable. They have some characteristic issues like the AC power switch, the regulator transistors in the power supply, and dirty push button switches.
Good luck.:thumbsup: