Surefire M2/C2 + LED Drop-in and LX2 clip question

sfca

Enlightened
Question:

With an LED drop-in is there an added benefit to the shock-isolation in the M2 vs the C2?
With bumps, drops, shock, anything that would make the M2 head a better choice with LEDs.

2nd question - does the LX2 2-way clip (or any bezel-down clip) fit with the M2/C2?

Many, many thanks!

Edit:

1) No there isn't. C2 head is better for heatsinking though.

2) Yes the clip does fit.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Question:

With an LED drop-in is there an added benefit to the shock-isolation in the M2 vs the C2?
With bumps, drops, shock, anything that would make the M2 head a better choice with LEDs.

Nope! Just the opposite in fact.

With an LED drop-in, you'd be better off with the Z44 bezel that comes stock on the C2. The M2 bezel is designed around two main characteristics of inca lamps. A filament that can break if the light is dropped, and heat doesn't bother inca lamps. LEDs are not as fragile as inca bulbs, so no need for a shock-isolated head. But heat does bother them.

An M2 head is not going to dissipate heat as well as a C2 head. That's due to the shock isolation feature. With an inca lamp, the heat isn't an issue. With an LED, it's going to be.

Stick with the C2 head for LEDs.

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
...An M2 head is not going to dissipate heat as well as a C2 head...

I will offer a different opinion on this point. I dont believe that the Z44 bezel offers any significant advantage for heat dissipation as it relates to LED modules.

The newer M2 heads flare out significantly as you move towards the lens retainer ring; however, assuming that you are using the same drop-in in a C2 and a M2, the position of the LED relative to the body is the same, and in my experience, always sits in the portion of the M2 bezel that is not flared and is roughly the same diameter as the Z44 Bezel. Since you are looking at the same inside diameter, the same materials, and only (maybe) a slightly thicker side wall on the non-flared portion of the bezel... there will only be a minimal, if any, difference in the heat dissipation of the bezel when comparing an M2 to a C2.

the major difference between the C2 and the M2 head is the shock isolation properties, which were specifically designed for incan bulbs being used in extreme environments (Tactical use) to increase bulb longevity if/when exposed to unexpected force... otherwise they will do pretty well the exact same job as a Z44 Bezel

sfca

Enlightened
So what I get is C2 vs shock-isolated M2 with incan = difference

C2 vs same M2 with LED = no difference. Or minimal difference, or whatever difference being that it would be more advantageous to get the C2 and redundant to use the M2.

LX2 clip fit on the C2?'

I'm thinking 6P or 6PL (heatsinking advantage?) defender head - a slight grinding by M I K to this extent.
C2 body and LX2 clip.

Work?