Impressive Flashlight 270 Lumens Charges 90 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marduke

Flashaholic
PLEASE try doing a search first. There are at LEAST a dozen "hey, check this out" threads on this light, most of them closed as duplicates.

passive101

Enlightened
Now they need a small pocket version with 200+ lumens and I'll gladly give them 300 dollars tonight!

Will that hold a charge as long as 123A or other lithium batteries?

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
The recharge rate is impressive, but the light is designed to run at only 90 lumens for any extended period -- pretty weak by today's standards, especially for a large light. We're in a golden age of LEDs right now. Who would want to give up all that out-the-front lumen performance and long runtimes for a slick new capacitor technology?

In a light that size with current technology, we can get 1,500 lumens for more than an hour.

The interesting question is whether super capacitors are on a development curve that will make them competitive with batteries in the near future.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool,

That would be a great light for LEOs in that it is always ready to go. No worries about the heat inside the car cooking the batteries or sitting on the charger cooking the cells.

A great gift if it upgraded to XP-E R2 or XP-G R5 bins...maybe a SST-50 single LED since caps don't have an issue with high discharge rates. This would require an aluminum head with copper slug and some fins thus increasing the weight.

I like it and look forward to additional lights from them. At least the light will never explode, batteries frag out from storage or heat and it will work in freezing temps.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first saw the advert of the light I thought that this sounds to be too good to be true. There has to be some drawback, otherwise all other flashlights would use that kind of "battery".

And yes it is; The extremely short charging time is to the price of the runtime, and the light isn't either very bright for the size.

When I have read through many posts at CPF I noticed that the opinions about this light are very different. Actually I think have read more negative opinions about it than negative opinions about Maglite MagCharger. Don't really understand it.

What is best: 1+ hour runtime with an initial brightness of 300lm and the half brightness after an hour. After that 16 hours charging...
OR: 15min run with 270lm, or 1 hour with 90lm. After that 90 seconds charging...

Yes, it's a special purpose light and is not suitable for bringing with you at camping or other cases when have not the possibility to recharge it, but personally I think that the short charging time mostly weigh up for the short runtime.
I understand it may be a good alternative for some purposes, also except from used in a police car. I think it's an excellent choice to be used at home, except from prolonged power outages. If one needs 270lm around the house, within not much more than an hour you have recharged it three times and have used 270lm during one hour. Or used 90lm 3 hours with two 90s breaks for recharging.

I am a bit tempted to get one, and I saw there is now a smaller version available.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried to seek information at internet about the smaller version PC3.300 but have not found adequate specs. Some sites state the same high 270lm as 5.11 and other 200lm for the smaller model. Also I have not found any information about the runtime at the higher brightness.

Anyone who knows?

Regards, Patric

Status
Not open for further replies.