Super Low Mode/Long Runtime/Simple UI Flashlights wanted..

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, we kinda slipped into talking about lights that have a super low or moonlight mode and that will run for an extreme length of time AND that have a SIMPLE interface in this thread (although I guess we shouldn't have) https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3186800#post3186800

So, I thought I'd start a separate thread because I AM interested in what options there are out there.

First the reason.

I have decided to only (or mostly, yall know how that goes) buy lights that have an extremely low mode. That way, if SHTF and I happen to have a light on me (sorry, I'm not a TRUE flashaholic), it should be able to last me a long time in super low mode as an emergency light.

I WOULD like this light to also be bright with a mode or two in between and an sos mode is nice too but NOT a requirement.

The third requirement is a SIMPLE user interface. Let me state this clearly. I am dumb as a post, I have a super hard time reading and understanding instructions and I can't handle complicated UI's. First, I can't figure out how to set them but even if I did, I would NOT remember two minutes later so I wouldn't be able to change the modes.

I like the Fenix TA21 because of the ring.
I have ordered the JetBeam RRT-0 BECAUSE of the ring and
I'm considering the regular quarks because of what seems to be a simple interface.

Now, I think the quark is ugly and I'm told I can't have the turbo head on the regular light which would improve it's looks. I'm also told I can have an 18650 body to further extend the runtime.

What I am looking for from you guys is a list with preferably links and pics of the different lights that:

Have super low outputs
High (and hopefully a medium) output of at least 150 lumens and
With a SIMPLE interface..

Let's see how many are out there and if you have to have a certain option to make it work like this, please show those options too and please clarify the runtime of the quark aa in moon mode with aa's AND with 18650 if someone knows.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

George

LightCannon

Enlightened
The beauty of the Quark series is its perfectly lego-able...so you could basically build a light that suits your purposes out of various 4Sevens parts (he does sell them.)

The Quark Mini series would be even more simple, but 3 OTF lumens isnt exactly super low...

bluecrow76

Enlightened
First the reason.

I have decided to only (or mostly, yall know how that goes) buy lights that have an extremely low mode. That way, if SHTF and I happen to have a light on me (sorry, I'm not a TRUE flashaholic), it should be able to last me a long time in super low mode as an emergency light.

I follow the same guidelines for my edc lights, which is why I always have a Novatac on me, being able to go from 120 lumens (30 minutes) to 0.3 lumens (for ~240 hours) on a single CR123. It also has an extended battery tube so you can use 17670 and even 18650 cells if you're clever enough.

The third requirement is a SIMPLE user interface. Let me state this clearly. I am dumb as a post, I have a super hard time reading and understanding instructions and I can't handle complicated UI's. First, I can't figure out how to set them but even if I did, I would NOT remember two minutes later so I wouldn't be able to change the modes.

The Novatac 120P is programmable and probably more complex than you would want.

The Novatac 120T has four modes and no programability for simpler operation:
Turn on to 120 lumens.
Double click to 10 lumens.
Triple click to 0.3 lumens.
Click and hold to strobe.

I only bring up this light because it is my absolute all time favorite light... I just wish Novatac or RA would build a large reflectored thrower with the same UI, that would be AWESOME!!! It may not be a good fit for you but thought I would bring it up. If you keep an eye on CPFMP you can find them used for between $85-90.

Good luck with your hunt!

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I asked on the forum and they told me that the regular quark will NOT take the turbo head which I like if nothing else but for the looks. Other than that, the quark seems to have what I want.
=======

Scott, the problem with these emergency lights is that they don't give you any specs. Some don't even tell you how long they last.

I know the max power isn't that important for this type of light but I would still like to know if it's ten lumens or what.

Check this one out that I found following the second link you gave me.
1200 hours on low on 9v lithium :)
http://www.9voltlight.com/inc/sdetail/5414

I have GOT to get me one of those.

I also got an Eternalight from a guy here on the forum. It has this beacon function that keeps blinking so you can always find it. It's sitting on top of my fountain machine (Yes, I have a soda machine at the house) and it sits there blinking. Very cool and very bright light.
========

bluecrow. I'm glad you brought it up. ALL lights that have similar specs/functions are of interest and this thread might also be of use to others that feel the same way. Also, with all the end of the world stories lately, I'm thinking this is a segment that will grow.

How come the Novatac site doesn't show runtimes? Man, that always pisses me off. Do you have any pics of one with the extended tube and runtimes with an 18650 battery? This other battery you mentioned, what's the difference between that and the 18650?

I have some money coming in six months or so and it is my intention to either buy or commission some lights.

George

Last edited:

MY

Enlightened
Surefire Titan T1A. Infinitely variable output twisting head is about as easy as they come; super low, low low, about as low as one can get and still be useful; runs for days on low; floody very useful beam. And, it is a small EDC.

Regards.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Well, I asked on the forum and they told me that the regular quark will NOT take the turbo head which I like if nothing else but for the looks. Other than that, the quark seems to have what I want.

Who did you ask? Because they were wrong. The Quark Turbo heads/bodies/tails are fully compatible with the rest of the line.

The Turbo comes stock in 123^2 and AA^2 flavors.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
MY, any runtimes and lumen outputs on that light?

Marduke, I can prolly find who told me this but it was here on CPF in another thread. I'm thinking it was in one of the quark threads...

I also thought it was strange that the heads wouldn't work but I'm glad they do. That would make it more attractive for me as I think it's an ugly a$$ light otherwise. Too bad 'cause the idea is great. Bottom line, you shouldn't buy one for looks but dammit, we still do or at least want the whole cake.

Alright, found it Marduke. Check out #262 on this page http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=202238&page=9&highlight=quark

So, what is the deal, can I get it in tailstand cap AND turbo head for the quark 123/2?

Thanks

George

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Ever since my LumaPower LM31, followed by my LumaPower IncenDio, I've become something of a LumaPower fan. Solid build quality and simple UIs. So when I went looking a light to add to my Christmas wish list, I settled on the LumaPower Signature.

Thing is: Other than ernsanada's LumaPower Signature TurboForce Q5 Review, there isn't much to be found about the light. The only run-time information I found was somebody asked LumaPower and was told "75 minutes on high with an 18650." (It runs on either a single 18650 or two CR or RCR 123s.) LumaPower, on their LumaPower Signature product page, states low is 10% of high. Based on ernsanada's lux readings, it looks like low is even lower than that. (Lux readings on low were anywhere from 0.2% to 7% of those on high, depending on which head and reflector were used.)

It does have a very simple UI: Forward tactical clicky on the back, and a separate switch, located on the side, just behind the head, to change between the three brightness' and strobe. (Which are memorized, btw.)

I went with the small head, rather than the TurboForce, because the small head with OP reflector seems to be floodier than the larger head. (For my purposes I prefer a light with neither too much throw nor too much flood. Too much throw is worthless indoors and in tight spaces. Too much flood is generally less useful out-of-doors.)

I read in one of the threads that if you buy the Signature from Matt over at Battery Junction, he'll sell you the TurboForce head separately for only $12. (Probably should double-check that before pulling the trigger, tho.) That TurboForce head with a smooth reflector is a bit of a throw monster. So: With the "standard" head with an OP reflector and a TF head with a SMO reflector, you can get two lights in one.

Why this light's not getting more action here on CPF is a bit of a mystery to me.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, he was wrong. You would have to get the 123^3 turbo light, with a flat turbo tailcap. You could also use the regular flat tailcap.

Good news but there is the problem, the light you linked too has a UI that's too complicated for me. THIS is the one I want http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_305&products_id=1599

The difference in the UI is what makes a difference to me. THIS I can handle, the other one, I can't figure AND, I won't remember two minutes later.
Can THAT one tail stand AND get the turbo head and is it really 30 days in moonlight mode 'cause that's 720 hours and that's a buttload!

Thanks

George

Marduke

Flashaholic
The turbo head is only made in a tactical (two mode memory) UI.

The Quark 123^2 does tailstand. And yes, it's actually over 30 days in moonlight mode.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why this light's not getting more action here on CPF is a bit of a mystery to me.

Jim, it does look like an interesting light and the price is definitely right. Any idea of runtimes in the lowest mode?

You're right, I haven't even heard of this model.

As for the Titan, a little low in the max output but still plenty for normal use and it looks like a keeper too.

Keep'em coming guys. I think this is very interesting.

George

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
The turbo head is only made in a tactical (two mode memory) UI.

The Quark 123^2 does tailstand. And yes, it's actually over 30 days in moonlight mode.

Welll, that does answer my question. Too bad 'cause it sure fixes the looks of the light although the slimmer one IS more practical. Still, I want to have and eat the cake if I have an option :)

I DO love the idea of the quarks though and I have been playing with the idea to have a light commissioned when I have some that is totally modular with all the parts interchangeable IF that's even possible.

Who by the way of the builders here would be the best one to talk to for a project like that?

scout24

Flashaholic
Not for modularity, but back to your OP, try getting ahold of Milkyspit. He builds outstanding stuff, and I am sure he would program to your liking before shipping. I have a Luna Floodaster set up with a lower low than my titan, and around 175L up top. Basically 4 levels, tap, tap, tap, tap. You never have to get into any of the other stuff the light can do if you don't want to. And, he is great to deal with! BTW, runtime on low is absurdly long...

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying that he can program a light, any light and just ship it to me or one he makes?

As for modularity, no one here that can do it you say?

Marduke

Flashaholic
What do you mean by "modularity"? There are many brands/series that are fully "legoable", such as the Quarks. You can mix and match heads, bodies, tailcaps to get the setup you want.

Another common format is to build a P60 host setup the way you want using the Surefire 6P or Solarforce L2 as a base.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I had in mind was more than just change a few parts but basically, the question is if someone can make the stuff that they make here, I'm sure they can do what I want. Of course, thinking outside the box helps but hey, I think the very stuff that these guys do here would qualify as thinking outside the box.

My though was if something could be made that could be combined to suit anyone's needs. Hell, I don't even know if it's possible.

I know it wouldn't be cheap but that wouldn't necessarily be the point, at least for me.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Jim, it does look like an interesting light and the price is definitely right. Any idea of runtimes in the lowest mode?
No clue. I read somewhere that medium is 50% output and low is 10%. The runtime chart on the CPF MarketPlace [Signature-Tactical edition] : Lumapower Best Tactical Light thread says 85 mins on high (to 50% ouput) and 165 minutes on medium. If we can assume 10% will run ten times as long as 100%, just as 50% runs twice as long, that means 850 minutes to 50%, or about 14 hours. Btw: That MarketPlace thread has a nice set of pictures comparing high to low.

You're right, I haven't even heard of this model.
Yeah, I don't get it :confused: It looks like quite a nice light.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
No clue. I read somewhere that medium is 50% output and low is 10%. The runtime chart on the CPF MarketPlace [Signature-Tactical edition] : Lumapower Best Tactical Light thread says 85 mins on high (to 50% ouput) and 165 minutes on medium. If we can assume 10% will run ten times as long as 100%, just as 50% runs twice as long, that means 850 minutes to 50%, or about 14 hours. Btw: That MarketPlace thread has a nice set of pictures comparing high to low.

Yeah, I don't get it :confused: It looks like quite a nice light.

"850 minutes to 50%, or about 14 hours." Huh? 850 hours are HOW MUCH?