Few Questions about P7 Maglite mod?

Zeva

Newly Enlightened
Hello! So I have a 3D maglite and a 6D that i want to do this too :)
from what ive read, the 3D will not need a driver and the 6D will? Parts list
Heat Sinks x2
LED x2
Or this LED?
Thermal glue?
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]i was wondering which is the right LED and what drivers i would need
Thanks for your help!

*i plan to make the 3D one first as it seems easier to do*

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a driver you could use for your 6D mod. I have used this with 2 li-ion before, you will need to heat sink the driver to run on high for extended periods of time. I have not tried these yet but this and this may be options depending on what type of cell you are using NIMH cells would probly be ok, but alkaline or NICD would probly be a bit high on voltage. There are other options but since all of the links you posted were for the cheaper stuff I figured I would start there.

Last edited:

Zeva

Newly Enlightened
So the first one? i will probably be running these on standard D cells or maybe AA rechargeable eneloops in converters haven't really decided yet also wont the heat sink i chose already work? or would i need a separate one for the Driver? also is it necessary to have a driver on the 3D?

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
wont the heat sink i chose already work? or would i need a separate one for the Driver? also is it necessary to have a driver on the 3D?

I have'nt used one of these for a while, I know with the early version heat was a real issue. I stuck it to the wall of the flashlight rather than to the bottom of the heatsink, and also experimented with heat sinking it by itself. When I stuck it to the wall of the light rather than using epoxy I used a thermal grease/compound so it could be removed again, I did have to use a small piece of electrical tape to secure it frimley to the wall though. The newer versions of this driver may have improved some what ( don't know) There are other alternatives if you can afford to spend a little more money. Der Wichtel has this driver everyone here seems to say good things about, and you would have no heat issues with this (i'm told, I dont have one).

For the 3 cell light you will not have to use a driver as long as you are careful never to put a cell in the light backward. I have used 3 nimh cells DD drive to run this type of light with good results, you should let the cells rest for a few hours after charging before putting them in the light though. Using 3 alkaline D cells you may be pushing your luck a bit as far as voltage, I have done it for a moment out of necessity though.