Superbrightleds.com's PR2-W1-WVR

tylernt

Enlightened
Anybody else use these things? I bought a bunch of them and put them in Rayovac E2AA-B (2xAA) flashlights (http://i47.tinypic.com/28lrzx0.jpg) purchased for the princely sum of 88¢ each (batteries included!).

Superbrightleds.com doesn't list the current draw of the PR2-W1-WVR, but my ammeter measured the following:

100mA, 4 AA eneloops @ 5.52v
98mA, 4 AA alkalines @ 5.74v

185mA, 2 AA eneloops @ 2.76v
180mA, 2 AA alkalines @ 3.12v
43mA, 2 AA carbon-zinc @ 2v (dimmer than 1xAA alkaline but usable)

70ma, 1 AA alkaline @ 1.56v
51mA, 1 AA eneloop @ 1.38v
11mA, 1 AA carbon-zinc @ 1v (almost no light)

I'm not sure how these drop-ins regulated, but they definitely get brighter as voltage goes up. It's not quite twice as bright when going from 1.5v to 3v, but it's noticeable. (The jump from 3v to 6v is less dramatic.) Since output really suffers on a single cell once that cell starts to discharge, this module is probably best suited to 2, 3, and 4 cell lights. However there is a danger using multiple cells: if you ignore or don't notice the dimming (easy to miss as it happens so slowly), you could be pulling your cells down towards half a volt each which might cause alkalines to leak (rechargables won't be very happy either). The good news is, it'll take forever to get there: some very rough back-of-the envelope math suggests around 24 hours on 2xAA alkalines. In fact, most of my aforementioned Rayovac lights are still running on the bundled carbon-zinc cells after nearly two years of ownership, though of course they aren't used often -- they are placed strategically around the house in case of power outages or emergencies. They're also great to give to kids for camping etc because they're cheap and have good runtime (and when they inevitably shine them in your eyes, they're not too bright). And if they get broken, you won't shed too many tears as you're only out 88 cents (just be sure to take your LED out before tossing the remains!!)

Though these Rayovacs are the budget flashlight of budget flashlights, I really like the beam they produce with the PR2-W1-WVR. The hotspot is huge, thanks to a plastic lens blob, which makes for a nicely even and floody light for close work. That's a bit of a joke, you see, since you're not going to be doing much with these beyond a couple yards. ;) If you want a thrower these ain't it, though in other flashlight bodies this same module will probably produce a tighter beam.

Superbrightleds.com claims 1.3 lumens for the PR2-W1-WVR, and I have no reason to doubt that claim when running on 3 or 4 cells. Like I said earlier though, 2 cells is a bit dimmer (not bad) and output drops even more with just one cell. Here it is with 2xAA alkalines:

Sorry I had to take these using my fence, I have no suitable wall anywhere in my house! And since I also don't have the equipment for lumens measurement, the best I can do is compare it to my Fenix L1T on low (supposedly 16 lumens), obviously it's the one on the left below.

My camera's white balance makes the PR2-W1-WVR look very blue in this shot, but to my eyes it's merely a very cool white with only a little blue as seen in the single beamshot above.

In short, they're not sexy but they do the job nicely in certain limited roles, battery life is fantastic, and the price of admission is low.