Who makes Focusable Lens LEDs

deerndingo

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,
Newby here.

I asked and was given good replies about the difference between using a reflector as opposed to an aspherical lens.

Now my question is

"Who makes focusable aspherical lensed LED torches'"

Thanks

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
No they are not. To my knowledge, you can't find a flashlight that can focus the beam to give the effect of an aspherical lens. You are best of purchasing 2 lights.

some LED lights are more or less focusable, but it's not as common or usefull as it is to have focusable incans since LEDs allready have a hotspot and decent spill.

deerndingo

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I have found 1 (EDI-T),but they don't make what I'm after. I'm just looking for any other company that might make a 700 to 900 Lumen with focusable beam. S I can go from flood to spot at will.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is the No1: Led Lenser, who have some models
(I do not advise them, because I hate price policy, think they are heavily overpriced and technically way outdated)

also there is this here:
sku.14450
and its "brothers" running from other batteries.
... sure, it is extremely "entry stage" quality!
But for that price, and given all my experience with cheapo products from DX, that one is simply outstanding and a good idea to test that focusing thing.

(PS: I do not like the idea too much, as I hate beams without any spill. And that is what comes from aspherics: no spill around beam)

Last edited by a moderator:

deerndingo

Newly Enlightened
there is the No1: Led Lenser, who have some models
(I do not advise them, because I hate price policy, think they are heavily overpriced and technically way outdated)

I agree fully.

also there is this here:
and its "brothers" running from other batteries.
... sure, it is extremely "entry stage" quality!
But for that price, and given all my experience with cheapo products from DX, that one is simply outstanding and a good idea to test that focusing thing.

Yellow, it is too cheap for what I'm after, but I am impressed with your ability to find things. Its a pity there isn't a good lense, heat sink, control and up to date LED. It would and should cost more, but DX usually would be cheap to buy it from if they made it.

(PS: I do not like the idea too much, as I hate beams without any spill. And that is what comes from aspherics: no spill around beam)

Yellow, you are right again, but its all about compromise. My objective is to have a torch that can illuminate something a long way away and it can also light up a big area. I think one way of doing that is to have a 900Lm torch that has an aspherical lens and is also focusable.

Wish me well in my quest

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
over the last years, there have been some modded D-cell Mags shown here,
which giant aspheric lenses installed instead of the front glass.

Has there not yet been a single one of them modded to a quad-led?
Wonder how it would work.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Possibly the 1350 lumen rated (on high) ArcMania Ostar X6 rechargeable. It will give the exact performance you are looking for, and is the light I would go with if the price and large size is okay with you..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Look at the multi LED Maglite mods. You can probably do one with wide optics that could give you the beam you want.

:welcome:

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
Romisen has a couple now too. AA and cr123, forget the model numbers. Been waiting for DX to get a AA model.

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
kaidomain is so ragged looking these days I'm afraid to order there

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
over the last years, there have been some modded D-cell Mags shown here,
which giant aspheric lenses installed instead of the front glass.

Has there not yet been a single one of them modded to a quad-led?
Wonder how it would work.
Yes, some of these have been seen -- there's a beamshot somewhere in the bicycle lights subforum of such a light (not sure it's a Mag, but a quad-die behind an aspheric) at full focus, where you can see 4 individual dies projected. And that picture pretty much explains why quad-die aspherics aren't popular.

If you want high output from an aspheric, go with an SST-50 or SST-90 instead of P7 or MC-E. I've also seen a beamshot of one of these (sorry, not sure where), and at full focus, it's a beautiful big wall of light. (at least compared to other throwers). No more throw than a small single-die, actually a bit less, but nice full-size beam. And of course it would be the mother of all floods when defocused.

DeeperDeeper

Newly Enlightened

If you want high output from an aspheric, go with an SST-50 or SST-90 instead of P7 or MC-E. I've also seen a beamshot of one of these (sorry, not sure where), and at full focus, it's a beautiful big wall of light. (at least compared to other throwers). No more throw than a small single-die, actually a bit less, but nice full-size beam. And of course it would be the mother of all floods when defocused.

There's one example.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/278908
:whistle:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hi Guys,
Newby here.

I asked and was given good replies about the difference between using a reflector as opposed to an aspherical lens.

Now my question is

"Who makes focusable aspherical lensed LED torches'"

Thanks

Wolfeyes

joe1512

Enlightened
Sadly flood to throw lights have been neglected by flashlight makers.

They do exist, but are using old technology (look at their emitters) and are typically cheap-o.

Probably the most cost-effective would be the Romisens on ShiningBeam which use better emitters. However, there is no such thing as a big light (MC-E, P7, SST-50, or even XP-G) that is flood-to-throw sadly.

Wolf-eyes does make several lights, but they are quite expensive and still arent super bright.
Probably their most cost effective one is here (as an example) for 65 bucks.
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6892

I would recommend the shiningbeam romisen instead for a fraction of the cost:
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-215/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-C8-II/Detail

This one uses decent batteries (2 cr123 1 18650 or 3xaaa) and has an XR-E Q5 emitter which is about as good as it gets.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Sadly flood to throw lights have been neglected by flashlight makers.

They do exist, but are using old technology (look at their emitters) and are typically cheap-o.

Probably the most cost-effective would be the Romisens on ShiningBeam which use better emitters. However, there is no such thing as a big light (MC-E, P7, SST-50, or even XP-G) that is flood-to-throw sadly.

Wolf-eyes does make several lights, but they are quite expensive and still arent super bright.
Probably their most cost effective one is here (as an example) for 65 bucks.
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6892

I would recommend the shiningbeam romisen instead for a fraction of the cost:
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-215/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-C8-II/Detail

This one uses decent batteries (2 cr123 1 18650 or 3xaaa) and has an XR-E Q5 emitter which is about as good as it gets.

Ya, I wih somebody would build one with XR-E R2 before they disappear off the face of the earth.