Mirage_Man Titanium Customs Builds

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
He's a mini archive of some more of Brian's lights that I am building. Mainly to show the owners that special lights require special LEs, much like a custom suit taylored to fit. :grin2:

If you guys don't know about Brian's work, you're definitely missing out. Some of the best machining out there in my opinion by far!

Forgive me if I get their names wrong as I'm not too sure of them if they do have names. I'll just describe what they are based on to the best of my observation.

Img_5610.jpg

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
-Mirage_Man Ti A19 (McR-19XR) Style Host
-Cree XP-G R5
-FLuPIC V2.2 1300ma

Hope the owner enjoys! :wave:

IMG_5603.jpg

Img_5591.jpg

Img_5558.jpg

Brass battery contact as usual.
IMG_5578.jpg

Turned down the star to fit the XR-can. Then reflowed the emitter to reposition it as it was way off center.
Img_5540.jpg

This star is thinner than the MCPCBs that are desinged for the XR-can. Made a spacer to raise the XP-G in the XR-can to where I wanted.
Img_5547.jpg

Made another spacer for inside the head as a guide for the LE. Since this host was designed to be "seamless" between the head & body, this was very important. Also doubles for better heatsinking as we all know Ti is not used for it's heatsinking properties.
Img_5561.jpg

Img_5570.jpg

Boosted FLuPIC configured for 1.3A max.
Img_5552.jpg

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Here is the second addition to this mini series (actually 2.5). Of all of Brian's 1 cell pocket sized lights I've seen, this one is my personal favorite, I like it more than the "fatties", the owner is very lucky.

The owner wanted two different types of LEs so he could swap back & forth as desired. Because of this I wanted to make sure both LEs would work with just one reflector. So aside from machining the reflector for proper focus & custom sizing one of the LEs, I had to make another LE can from scratch.

-Mirage_Man Ti Combat/Strike A2 (McR-20) Style Host
-Luxeon K2 TFFC TVOD GD1000 LE
-Cree XP-G R5 GD1000 LE
-Machined McR-20

Img_6199.jpg

XP-G
Img_6181.jpg

Img_6196.jpg

K2 TFFC
Img_6220.jpg

Img_6223.jpg

Img_6235.jpg

Img_6241.jpg

Added a glow oring
Img_6256.jpg

The owner also purchased some other MM Ti goodies which I will be fowarding. Here's a mule head & a shortened tailcap. Hope the owner doesn't mind me showing off. :)
Img_6249.jpg

Img_6247.jpg

Some other pics:
Img_6100.jpg

Img_6119.jpg

Img_6140.jpg

Img_6146.jpg

Img_6147.jpg

Img_6260.jpg

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
This light is Brian's first Ti light off his current lathe which was originally fitted with a P7 LE & a McR-27XR reflector. When I received it from it's current owner it had a XR-E LE & a modified reflector.

The reflector was replaced with a McR-27S & now has a Seoul P4 LE. Because the McR-27S is longer than the reflectors the used to be in this light, this left less room for a LE & a standard size Aleph LE would not fit. Because it's a totally seamless body I had to make yet another custom fitted LE.

May not look like much but this LE build required a lot of work. Started off with a XRcan which was bored deeper to allow the P4 mounted on an aluminum heatsink to sit far lower than in any standard sized Aleph LE. The driver is a GDuP that was set for 960ma on high rather than 700ma. Since the LED would be sitting much lower in the can, the GDuP's inductor had to be replaced with one that is half the height of the original one.

With the GDuP set to 960ma on high & the McR-27S this one has lots of throw.

-Mirage_Man 27mm Seamless Ti Host
-SSC P4 USVOH
-GDuP960 (High: 960ma, Med: 260ma, Low: 17ma)
-1x 17670

Img_6534.jpg

Img_6540.jpg

Img_6527.jpg

Img_6513.jpg

Img_6516.jpg

Img_6447.jpg

Img_6433.jpg

Beamshot in post #6. The beamshot does not accurately show the beam profile of this light. The hotspot is actually much smaller as the beam is very tight & is a real thrower.

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
XP-G R5 A19 Style Light (Post #3)

Left: XP-G R5 McR-19XR @1.3A, Right: Nitecore EX-10 XR-E R2 WC @700ma+/-
xp-g_r5_ex-10_r2_wc.jpg

Left: XP-G R5 McR-19XR @1.3A, Right: Novatac 120P K2 TFFC TVOD
xp-g_r5_120p_tvod.jpg

Left: XP-G R5 McR-19XR @1.3A, Right: Ti McGizmo "PD-K" K2 TFFC TVOD @745ma
xp-g_r5_13a_pd-k_tvod_745ma.jpg

XPG R5 Ti A2 Style Light (Post #4)

Left: XPG R5 McR-20 @ 1000ma, Right: Ti McGizmo "PD-K" K2 TFFC TVOD @745ma
xpg_r5_mcr20_pdk.jpg

SSC P4 27mm Ti light (Post #5)

Left: USVOH McR-27S @ 960ma, Right: Ti McGizmo "PD-K" K2 TFFC TVOD @745ma
usvoh_gdup960_mcr-27s_pd-k.jpg

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wow: Very nice Will! :clap:
How's the beam? and where did you get those R5's? :thinking:

CampingLED

Enlightened
One of the nicest.........CORRECTION, the nicest that I have seen. Did you get an alien who is 1million years ahead of us to do the soldering for you?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Thanks fellas. :wave:

Beamshots posted. I only have a handful of Cree lights that I own so unfortuantely I don't have good comparisons. I'll just compare them to my EX-10 with a R2 WC & boosted driver, Novatac 120P with a K2 TFFC TVOD, & my EDC Ti "PD-K" with a K2 TFFC TVOD.

:wow: Very nice Will! :clap:
How's the beam? and where did you get those R5's? :thinking:

They're from Cutter, got them from Random who was offering them for reasonable shipping costs for small quantities (I've never ordered from Cutter because of this). No tint bin info was available on the R5s though.

Nice stuff. Can't wait till we get to my big Dog:D

Believe me, can't wait to get that bad boy done! :candle:

WOW!!!:faint:

Love the XP-G LE, very cool!!!

Brian's hosts are top notch too:cool::twothumbs

You're work & Brian's are my personal favorites! :twothumbs
I just can't afford to buy lights of this calibur!

But at least I got one! :naughty:

Img_3836.jpg

Img_3528.jpg

Img_3519.jpg

Greg G

Enlightened
Amazing lights!

What is your opinion of the McR19XR outside? It looks like it has a nice tight hotspot with the XP-G on the wall.

Thanks.