Surefire C3 centurion, drop in for huge throw?

Dr. EVOVIII

Newly Enlightened
I have this C3 sitting around that I would like to make into a big thrower.

It uses 3 cr123's. What led drop in will give me 300 plus OTF lumens and have a very nice long through. For this light I'm not at all concerned about flood, just distance.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read the "sticky" about the P60 drop-ins, lots of good info there, however just be aware that some of the information has been there for awhile and may have changed. Read it more like guidelines rather than gospel.

Personally I'd recommend a dereelight 3SM Q4 5A/B tint with a SMO reflector, that would give you the best throw compared to standard warm/neutral tint Q5/R2 drop-ins. I really doubt there are any reliable drop-ins that can give you 300 OTF lumens... even from malkoff or BOG. Going for a drop-in with a warm 5A/B tint would give you throw performance closer to that of an incand compared to a Q5 or R2 with a neutral/cool white tint even though the 5A/B lumen ratings would be lower.

Please note that you need to get a drop-in that supports 7.2v-9.0v for your C3. Not all of them do.

If you really want throw, sell the C3 and use the $$$ to get the Dereelight DBS with a 5A/B Q4 and SMO reflector.

Last edited:

Dr. EVOVIII

Newly Enlightened
So there is really none available that will put out 300+ otf, off 3 cr123's?

How much is the dereelight 3SM putting out?

ionizedsky

Enlightened
:welcome:

Most of your P60 dropins are going to be pushing the 220-260 lumen range, some of the newer XP-Gs in P60s (thrunite) claim 300 but they don't have a tight spot as the previous generations (like cree Q4 and R2) and therefore may not have quite the throw your looking for.

What are you gonna be using it for?

Dr. EVOVIII

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

Most of your P60 dropins are going to be pushing the 220-260 lumen range, some of the newer XP-Gs in P60s (thrunite) claim 300 but they don't have a tight spot as the previous generations (like cree Q4 and R2) and therefore may not have quite the throw your looking for.

What are you gonna be using it for?

Mainly just for fun. I could try something with less output I suppose.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
There is also another thread going right now asking about a drop-in for throw in a surefire G2 - same form factor (P60)